Author Topic: Default clipboard map after CTD  (Read 413 times)

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
Default clipboard map after CTD
« on: January 23, 2003, 12:41:28 AM »
Ok gurus, you're my last chance before seeking therapy.

I've built a terrain, added the HQs and an airfield for each of them, gotten the grayscale map thingy and run the bit2bmp job.

Everything in the editor is fine.  The main edit screen has all the land mass where I expect it, and the map on lower right corner has the greyscale map that matches the main map quite nicely.

HOWEVER, when I try to load the $@#$!@! thing in offline mode, I get a CTD.  When I restart offline a default map is loaded. All the objects are where I put them, it's just that the clipboard map is some default thingy that makes no sense compared to what I built. When I take off, I can fly around and view my world and see that it jives with what I had in the editor. ( the 163 is EXCELLENT for quick scouting.. )

Not being happy with this, I load another of my old terrains ( where map didn't work either ) return to tower, return to setup, load the new terrain.. BOOM.. CTD again.  Restart AH offline and the default map is loaded again.

There has got to be some obscure cut and paste/save as/sacrifice small furry animal step I'm missing here, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is.

Please, for the sake what sparse remnants of my former ego remain.. help.

<.S>
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Re: Default clipboard map after CTD
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2003, 02:12:45 AM »
clipboard map has to be in 256 color or 8-bit mode, and then put into the Texscr folder.
NUTTZ

Originally posted by APDrone
Ok gurus, you're my last chance before seeking therapy.

I've built a terrain, added the HQs and an airfield for each of them, gotten the grayscale map thingy and run the bit2bmp job.

Everything in the editor is fine.  The main edit screen has all the land mass where I expect it, and the map on lower right corner has the greyscale map that matches the main map quite nicely.

HOWEVER, when I try to load the $@#$!@! thing in offline mode, I get a CTD.  When I restart offline a default map is loaded. All the objects are where I put them, it's just that the clipboard map is some default thingy that makes no sense compared to what I built. When I take off, I can fly around and view my world and see that it jives with what I had in the editor. ( the 163 is EXCELLENT for quick scouting.. )

Not being happy with this, I load another of my old terrains ( where map didn't work either ) return to tower, return to setup, load the new terrain.. BOOM.. CTD again.  Restart AH offline and the default map is loaded again.

There has got to be some obscure cut and paste/save as/sacrifice small furry animal step I'm missing here, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is.

Please, for the sake what sparse remnants of my former ego remain.. help.

<.S>

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 07:05:28 AM »
Um.. ok

I added the Texscr folder to the terrain folder of the one I'm working on ( drone3 ). After searching through the bbs to figure out what the #$@#$!  you were talking about.

I've named it drone3 and have it saved as a 256 color bmp. ( Which, btw, puts a horrid blue circle where the sun's light is represented smack dab in the middle of the map )

rebuilt map.. no workee
build terrain .. no workee

Checking self for pulse... still there.

Beginning to visualize this 'puter sprawled all over the ground when I chunk it out my basement window.

<.S>
AKDrone

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2003, 08:23:59 AM »
1) You can avoid the "sun circle" dragging timeline-button to "evening": I mean put the sun in the TE very low. After that built the map normally.

2) Open the map file in Photoshop (or in somethin else art program). The map is now very dark, but adjust it lighter with "Brightness" and "Contrast".

3) After that save it 8-bit (256 color) bmp file and make it's size 256 X 256.

4) Save the bmp file to your map's "texsrc" folder and give it the SAME NAME than your terrain has. For example if the terrain is named "myterr" give the map name "myterr".

IT MUST WORK!;)
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 04:40:12 PM »
Did it work!  :)

Pokie

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2003, 05:34:07 PM »
:(

Sigh.. not yet.

What I have found out..

You MUST name the folder 'texsrc'  No uppercase letters anywhere.

I've built and converted the map to 256 color, 256x256 res.

Dimmed the lighting, then brightened and contrasted  but the terrain went reddish on me.  No big deal, I just want to get the friggen map to work.. however..  

Now I get the Fatal Error in AHEDIT crash when I try to build.

sniff...

whimper..

<.S>
AKDrone

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2003, 05:40:32 PM »
email me ALL the files for your map ( not just the .res file) and i'll check it for you.

NUTTZ
NUTTZ@Comcast.net

Originally posted by APDrone
:(

Sigh.. not yet.

What I have found out..

You MUST name the folder 'texsrc'  No uppercase letters anywhere.

I've built and converted the map to 256 color, 256x256 res.

Dimmed the lighting, then brightened and contrasted  but the terrain went reddish on me.  No big deal, I just want to get the friggen map to work.. however..  

Now I get the Fatal Error in AHEDIT crash when I try to build.

sniff...

whimper..

<.S>

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2003, 05:55:30 PM »
E-mail sent.

Thanks!

I know it's going to be something silly.

<.S>
AKDrone

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2003, 12:06:28 AM »
WOOOHOOOOO!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

Started over from scratch. Carefully followed everything I've gleened from ya'lls help and other posts..

Got one that works now.

Not sure where I went wrong before, .. Heck, I don't know if I can build it right again, but it works and I'm gonna run with it.

Gawd, what a battle!

Thanks everybody!!

<.S>
AKDrone