Author Topic: TOD Bomber operations questions  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Grayarea

• Silver Member
TOD Bomber operations questions
« on: January 23, 2003, 02:51:21 AM »
Hi all,

The next Sunday TOD has brough up some interesting debate. Please reply to this thread answering the following questions.

1 Would you fly a TOD frame where night fighters and bombers were only available (no sigle seat fighters)?

2 Would you fly a TOD frame where it was full night time?

3 Is an accurate plane set more important than playability of the frame?

4 What aspect of TOD do you like the least (content not format)?

Offline Kronos

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2003, 04:56:46 AM »
1.  Sure, but there aren't too many allied night fighters out there.  I think maybe Mossie is only one?  I'm not sure though.  Then again, there aren't too many Axis ones either :)

2.  Absolutely.  It would make a good change from the normal ones.  Might have to make Icons long though, to make sure people can find the action.

3.  For this type of scenario, yes.  Keep the planes accurate, as playability issues can be run in the MA.

4.  I agree with Fariz's other post.. Landgrabbing really doesn't work that well with TOD's, much like GV's don't either.  (unless it's completely a GV TOD, which might be interesting to run once aswell.)

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
Re: TOD Bomber operations questions
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 05:51:30 AM »
Originally posted by Grayarea
Hi all,

The next Sunday TOD has brough up some interesting debate. Please reply to this thread answering the following questions.

1 Would you fly a TOD frame where night fighters and bombers were only available (no sigle seat fighters)?

Yes - whatever the CM Designed is fine by me.

Yes - whatever the CM Designed is fine by me.

I am not a plane expert - stick me in a plane and I will fly it.

None - I have enjoyed all the TOD Frames I have particiatped in.

Jordi
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2003, 09:45:26 AM »
3x yes!!!!

and 4th, no more gv's

and one more, number balance, why thay are allway so "right" 50:50

If i can chose i chose hardcore settings for TOD, to play allmost like in RL

ramzey

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Re: TOD Bomber operations questions
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 02:35:48 PM »
1.  Sure

2.  Sure.  Not 3 frames though.  :)

3.  I prefer an accurate plane set.  If there is a playability issue, then balance it with numbers, not plane types.

4.  GV's and field capture.  What would be sweet is a terrain with GV's built in as static objects.  Or AI GV columns that operate similar to the convoys or fleets or trains.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 02:51:53 PM by funkedup »

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2003, 02:53:15 PM »
You know my answer already, but for the record.

1. YES

2. YES

3. It depends, of course, design problems lead to substitutions, but we should try to be accurate when its doable?

4. TODs are the best, but nothing is perfect. I would say the setups where targets are too well known for the buffs to hit them without being wiped out, and designs with the wrong planes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Since this is the thread to talk Gray, I will reply to your last post:

I have flown TODs where I had Ju88s, and Arados. I didnt complain to anybody. Why would I? somebody has to take their turn right? I flew BostonIIIs vs 190s, I flew B17s vs 262s and 190Ds. Again, it was my squads turn, no problem, thay are ALL fun to a degree.

So, when we have *ONE* frame in a TOD, where its a night frame, tell the complainers to suck it up. Not every TOD was designed for them either. I dont get to fly single engined Royal Navy fighters in every TOD. We ask them to fly Bostons, B-17s, B-26s, and Ju88s, thas ok, but if its at night somehow...what? whats the big deal?

Good night designs are challenging to fly and a lot of fun!

Thanks for asking Gray, I appreciate it. I do get on about it, its because I love the historical stuff.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 03:13:21 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Strange

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2003, 03:38:57 PM »

Yes, would give a nice change to things!!

Yes, as long as Icon range was with in say WW2 radar range? was a few miles at best right??

I thought thats what TOD was for.. no a MA furball fest?

That a more wider a/c selection is used. I mean we have hurri's..spits.. and more spits..lets use some more uncomon. I enjoy'd the last TOD with the use of the 202's.

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2003, 03:41:06 PM »
We had a nigh time.thing..I think it was a snapshot..It was A LAncaster raid into Berlin....

It suked BAd...and I am a Big fan of any Scenario...

We had an airstart (good)..but had to fly  8 sctrs to berlin (bad)

I couldnt play that long..so i bailed...but i talked to my wingman after...

1 min after I bailed..Tehy were jumped my germans..all died...

It may work..but its really tuff they way it was then...

Othere wise

1)..hell yes

2)..maybe(notes from above)

3) a fine line of both i think work well..(wasnt that stoked to use ju-88's for soem other twin eng  English bomer when we had the boston when we attked Axis last Snapshot)  i did get 3 kills in ju88 hto:) heheh

4) I love Big Battles...I think my favorite is either being in a huge Box of Bomers or Being the Ftrs attikng a huge box...

we did a Ploesti Misiion in AW year or so ago..DAM that was good...had atleast 30+ B-17' son the dek racing into the oilfields(yes they shoul dof been b-24's but..)  The bastard Axis were all up in there Werbelwinds-Flakpanzers..the ones with 4-20mil cannons) at our main refinery..we took soem bad losses...
I would do it again in a heartbeat

Salute to all the CM's..and people who make scenarios go...

Love BiGB
xoxo

Offline AndyH

• Copper Member
      • http://www.ahope.myby.co.uk/wod/
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2003, 05:34:31 PM »
1, Yes

2, Yes

3, Accurate plane set is important, you can offsett one side having better planes by giving the other side more numbers.

4, The thing I do not like about TODs is that it is generaly over within 1 hour. The targets are so obvious that one side generaly gets wiped out early on.

This is not very easy to fix, but the victory conditions are normaly based on bomb / capture this field, or sink this carrier etc. The side CO will often (and I have done this myself) risk everything on attacking the enemy as quickly as possible.

Maybe we can include a victory condition that forces a CO who wants the win to conserve a certain percentage of his forces. Maybe a rule that says if you do not land 20% of your planes then you can not win, or you get less of the better planes in the next frame.

Another way to solve this is to give second rides, maybe in a GV or Goon only.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2003, 05:46:16 PM »
Having only flown a few ToD events thus far (big fat thanks to the Shill for giving the Dogs of War squad lots of guest spots while we try to build up squad interest), my input may not worth all that much. That having been said...

1: I would fly nearly anything anywhere, whether I liked it or not, if I were instructed to do so. I spent several mind-numbing hours in a val during 2 frames of the Midway scenario- and thought it was fun. The odd and sometimes painful planesets are one of the things I love in the ToDs... b/c I know the guy diving in on me is just as screwed as I am. (Besides, I secretly love buffs and 110s). I'll fly any scenario if I know there are no spit9s, La-7s, or N1ks.

2: Nightime is tough, but I've never run a nightime scenario. I wonder about icon ranges and such, but I think the CMs/COs we have could figure out a way to make it work.

3: I'm all for accurate planesets when possible. If it sucks, hey, war's hell, we'll get over it.

4: Hmmm. not really disliked anything in the events I've run... kinda like the randomness I've witnessed a few times. Adds to the immersion, so much happening, and not really understanding it all, just following my orders.

anyway, that's my 2 cents, pizza's ready and I need a beer.

Blue skies,
hub
Dogs of War
« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 05:54:25 PM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2003, 05:50:22 PM »
you have to be careful...I have been in scenarios wher ei flew for an hour...Didnt squeeze 1 round...

Thats bad..and we can lose people like that...

I know i dont want  60 ftrs vs 60 ftrs in 10 min at 5k...THats what Koth is..hehe kind of..

But we do need to make sure game play is progressive..and doesnt get stale..ie ( fly for 2 hours..not see 1 nme ..and land)

AndyH..how long do you wan tthem...im thinking 2 hours MAX...

1 hour is fine for me in a TOD..especailly on Friday Nights...Im not sure what the ratio is..but are all you guys married..or no women around...??

I cant spend 3 hours on Friday nights...well (most of the time):D

But I do agree with the "have to land so many"..but I htought that is usally considered in all the TOD's? and scenarios...We did have a TOD where it was based on how many guys landed there rides last round.or atleast i think we did....

.."uh BiGB..you get the E4 this time..u wreked ur 109g10 last round..."...heheh

IceMAW is always telling me...Land that bastard at a field...!!!! One day i was lazy...landed in a field..Luckliy we had enuff points to win the war..but..hehehe

Salute

BiGB
xoxo

Offline AndyH

• Copper Member
      • http://www.ahope.myby.co.uk/wod/
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2003, 02:55:25 PM »
Originally posted by BGBMAW

AndyH..how long do you wan tthem...im thinking 2 hours MAX...

I think 2 hours is just right for the TOD, 3 hours is better for scenarios (well we will see if it is when we do Niemen).

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2003, 03:16:35 PM »
ahh..yes 2 housrs i think should be a round about limit...

..Salute...see you all up there soon

BiGB
xoxo

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2003, 03:27:53 PM »
Originally posted by BGBMAW
ahh..yes 2 housrs i think should be a round about limit...
Good, 'cos that's what TODs are -  two  hours maximum!  Nothing new there, then....  ;)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline ViFF

• Copper Member
      • http://www.101squadron.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2003, 08:48:44 PM »
Definately !!!

Ditto !!!  yes !!! :)

Very much so imho. We (me & my squad) attend these setups to get a small taste of what real pilots in ww2 had to deal with and experienced. If I wanted "balanced gameplay" I'd stay in the Main Arena.  In the events I expect an accurate planeset (logical substitutes where necessary), and an historicaly accurate side split. I have no problem with being outnumbered when its historicaly correct... war is hell :)

I think enforcing a harsh time limit is incorect. I'm not saying a tod should be longer then 2 hrs (even though i wish it was). I believe the CM's should be more flexible on the issue, i.e.  letting an attack conclude itself, and not close  the logs until the last pilots who are rtb land... and let them land safely without monkeying with the fuel modifier!  :p