Author Topic: Are we itching for war or just really stupid?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Are we itching for war or just really stupid?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2003, 07:26:58 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
ohmygod thrawn , you think saddam killing kids is "going to be great" ??.....you are sick

Just what I would expect from an unpatriotic terrorist-lover!  :mad:

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2003, 07:32:11 PM »
Okay, I'll stop the sarcasm for a moment.  Anyone who wants wars should be taken out and shot like a mad dog.  War is diddlying toejamty anyway you cut it.  Yes, sometimes they have to be fought, but that doesn't mean anyone should want one.  People dying is generally a crappy thing, regardless if it's Iraqis doing it or Americans.

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2003, 08:01:44 PM »
What Thawn said.

Steve, only 17% of Americans got the correct answer...

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2003, 08:20:48 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
Okay, I'll stop the sarcasm for a moment.  Anyone who wants wars should be taken out and shot like a mad dog.  War is diddlying toejamty anyway you cut it.  Yes, sometimes they have to be fought, but that doesn't mean anyone should want one.  People dying is generally a crappy thing, regardless if it's Iraqis doing it or Americans.

No sane person wants conflict.  Anyone who states that they like or want war is either stupid or has never been in one... but sometimes battles need to be fought in order to aviod a war.

2 cents.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2003, 08:28:08 PM »
I think a fair question is, "If September 11th never happened, would we be in the same situation with Iraq?"

Why, or why not?

eskimo

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2003, 08:36:10 PM »
This war we're about to start is about two things:-

1.  Oil

2. Strategic position

First the oil......

From Cabby44's post -
...If we wanted Saddam's oil we could have taken it in 1991 when we won the first Gulf War. For that matter, if we were the oil-hungry empire these buffoons keep saying we are, we could have taken Kuwait's and Saudi Arabia's while we were at it....

Probably the stupidest piece of writing I've seen on this yet.  The Gulf war ending as it did was a political decision and probably a wrong one - live and learn.

Kuwait and Saudi oil is already under Western control.  The power base of those countries is maintained by western military hardware and contract support.  The ruling powers need that continuing support - we get what we want.

We DON'T have control over the biggest reserves - Iraq - and the ruler is a loose cannon.  Control of the oil through the back door is what we need - remove the existing regime and insert a freindly one and tie it to Western military support to maintain the power base.

Now the strategic position.

Look at this map:

Look at what borders Iraq .....  Syria to the West and Iran to the East.  
Now Israel (a good freind of the West) has always had "issues" with Syria - Golan Heights etc - now how will Israeli bargaining power be changed with a US/UK military presence along Syria's longest border ??
Now Iran - one of the "axis of evil" - but look ..... take Iraq and you have Western forces to the west, Western forces to the east in Afghanistan and Western forces to the south in Oman and Saudi ..... opens the options somewhat.

Be realistic about this - as 10Bears and Dowding have said there is NO evidence of any connection between Alqueda and Iraq or any likelyhood of such connection.  The supposed danger is that weapons of mass destruction would be manufactured in Iraq to be passed to terrorists in Alqueda for use - the delivery mechanism if you like. BUT THERE IS NO LINK.  If the capability and connection is there it was there prior to 9-11 so why hijack planes ??  Why haven't they been used already??  Why are they manufacturing Ricin in flats in London??   It makes no sense

If we want to go to war about control of critical resources and real estate then at least lets be honest about it.

Sparks

Offline Cabby44

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2003, 08:45:25 PM »
Qupte:

"Anyone who wants wars should be taken out and shot like a mad dog. "

Ummm, that's what we intend to do.......

Sparks:

Thanks for the map.  I had never seen one before.  BTW, what's your opinion on who shot JFK???  

C.

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2003, 08:53:52 PM »
lol   it was me

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2003, 09:02:22 PM »
Very good post sparks.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2003, 10:07:31 PM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
No sane person wants conflict.  Anyone who states that they like or want war is either stupid or has never been in one... but sometimes battles need to be fought in order to aviod a war.

2 cents.

Dubya sure seems to want one. He's busily trying to justify an action he's about to take.
sand

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2003, 10:21:27 PM »
War is peace, eh Cabby.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2003, 11:19:06 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
Dubya sure seems to want one. He's busily trying to justify an action he's about to take.

"Sometimes a battle needs to be fought in order to aviod a war."

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2003, 11:42:56 PM »
Get 'em Cabby - I agree with you 100%

It's funny how most of the people whining and protesting the war are the ones who will sit comfortably in their living rooms far from any battlefield. I will be deploying shortly to the Middle East and  fully support President Bush and believe in what he is doing. Some of you (10bears) have no clue what's going on in that region. So just sit back in you easy chair and let us do our job. If you had an ounce of patriotism in you, you'd show some support for your country instead of trying to second guess the President.

Also 10bears,
Who said this was about the hijackers? Invading Iraq has nothing to do with where the hijackers came from. It's to cool a hot spot in the world in order to stabilize the region and the world for future generations. Yes, sometimes you have to fight and people (quite possibly myself included) may die in order to accomplish this, but you need to wake up and face reality. Peace comes at a cost - "Freedom isn't free"
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2003, 11:56:31 PM »
Originally posted by WpnX
Get 'em Cabby - I agree with you 100%

It's funny how most of the people whining and protesting the war are the ones who will sit comfortably in their living rooms far from any battlefield. I will be deploying shortly to the Middle East and  fully support President Bush and believe in what he is doing. Some of you (10bears) have no clue what's going on in that region. So just sit back in you easy chair and let us do our job. If you had an ounce of patriotism in you, you'd show some support for your country instead of trying to second guess the President.

Also 10bears,
Who said this was about the hijackers? Invading Iraq has nothing to do with where the hijackers came from. It's to cool a hot spot in the world in order to stabilize the region and the world for future generations. Yes, sometimes you have to fight and people (quite possibly myself included) may die in order to accomplish this, but you need to wake up and face reality. Peace comes at a cost - "Freedom isn't free"

Let's see... you support the president...  good for you... after all, it's something you swore to do during your oath of enlistment.

My enlistment ended over ten years ago. I prefer my easy chair. I think the president's actions are going to put us in harm's way for the rest of our lives.

Good luck to you... and I do mean good luck with complete sincerity. Stand by your word and stand by your oath. It is without question the right thing for you to do. Hopefully, you return to your family safe and sound, because if you were my son and you didn't return, I'm pretty sure my bitterness at George W. Bush would last the rest of my life.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2003, 11:59:04 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2003, 12:25:18 AM »
WpnX..

44MAG
former USMC