Author Topic: Three out of four S3's have crashed and burned so..  (Read 2272 times)

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
Three out of four S3's have crashed and burned so..
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2003, 08:35:11 PM »
Heyas,
I am a WBs Peek-in-look-around-see type person too.  First log on Tuesday last.  I have been with WBs for 6 years.  From when Pyro and HT were there.

What keeps us there are the Squads, Community, and S3's....In that order.

What has us leaving/looking?  No Strat, Funky connects, Bad FM's, Wild Bill ButtHead, No updates, No development, $25 vs $15 for less bang, SL's that go FLOP, S3 arenas that crash after setting aside 3 hours Sunday nights for 5 Sundays in a row, and other possibly unfounded loyalties.  Not necessarily in that order.

What will keep us/me here?  Strat and Map rotations, More Strat, More planes, vehicles, boats & Terrains (development in general), 5-600 players vs 90-100, the built in Voice and improvemnet there-of, the CT arena, and........HT, S3 type events could solidify your position as the greatest MMP SIMM on earth.

I have met some old friends and some other very nice and helpful folks.  I have had a BLAST in the last 6 days.

Things that would help:
1.  A kinder more mature Channel 1 or a permanent squelch function.
2.  The joystick configuration can be daunting for the NOOBIE if using a full HOTAS.
3.  The MAP/Clipboard is a bear to figure out and to learn how to use.  I have recieved some excellent help from Tarmac and Blank.

In all this is GREAT! and I am pleased to be a part of Aces High.  Keep up the excellent work.

Dracon Out!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2003, 08:50:50 PM »
"What keeps us there are the Squads, Community, and S3's....In that order."

AH accomodates squads very nicely and we've about the same style community as WBs (both good and bad, but all sim enthusiasts). The only thing AH is missing then is the S3s.

"S3 type events could solidify your position as the greatest MMP SIMM on earth. "

We do have what we call the ToD, which as far as I can figure out is the exact same as the S3s. And at 200+ attendance. At any rate, HT offered a free arena for the WBers to host the S3s in. And these arenas actually work. :)

Either nobody heard him, or there must be something else we're missing, right? Do you think the WBers are going to take him up on his offer? If not, why?

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2003, 08:54:58 PM »
no because ah doesnt support mac :p

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2003, 10:09:39 PM »
Our TOD's soon to be named "Squad Operations" are almost identical to the S3's. We have about 200 every Friday night and 100 every Sunday. Same event, just different squads (many Euro Squads on Sunday due to the friendly Euro time).
http://events.simladder.com/tod.php

Our Snapshots are more like the Scenario Lites in Warbirds. Those are Wednesday and now a friendly Euro time on Thursday.
http://events.simladder.com/snapshots.php

Our large Scenarios we put on every three or four months. Niemen is the current one.
http://www.btinternet.com/~fulltilt/niemen/battle.html

CAP I am not sure what WB has that would compair to that. Sort of an on going S3 that is in its 13th frame.
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75867

Lots of events to offer the WB players. :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2003, 10:20:21 PM »
The TOD / Squad Ops allows a Player to be a guest ( 24 hrs in advance ) in a current Active Squad OPS / TOD Squadron and can fly that weeks Event.

Snapshots and CAP Events are open to ALL AH PILOTS regardless of any squad affiliation and those not in any AH Squad.

Scenarios are registered events but allow walkon pilots to fill open spots on frame day.

Any of these events are great ice breakers to get a feel for a different side of AH.
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2003, 10:33:08 PM »
Yo Kek ya bastage !!!

Actually I'm not on commission. If I was I would post it at AGW :D

Just a heads up, people here are as rabid as over there, with all the related flames..

BTW January stats for a non uber plane in the Main.

Ki61
Kills       1405
Deaths  1249
K/D        1.125

Some good rice pilots here abouts.

Granted there were over 65 thousand Spit IX kills and deaths. But Spit pilots are wussies :D

But you know that.

And the Wallneto ain't pink.

It's just dirty.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2003, 10:41:16 PM by poopster »

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2003, 10:40:13 PM »
Hmmm..... too new to know what a ToD is?  Is it a squad event?  Does it allow walkons?  Where might I find out about it?

Funkedup is pretty much righton.  S3's are Historical to Semi-Historical engagements with the correct number of aircraft and aircraft types.  An excellent group of gentlemen, "The Janitors", run the S3's with an Allied and Axis commander selected from the sides. (Usually Volunteers).  Rank and status in the squads is of no matter.  There is an overall "Game Plan" and the weekly side CO's assign targets, missions, and special missions to the various squadrons.  Planning is done on carefully secured BBS's.  It is usually a 3 hour event running for 5 consecutive Sundays.  You fly 2-3 sorties as assigned per frame (week).  It is a "1 DEATH event"  Die and your out for that weeks frame.  Back again the following week with 1 life.  This means, crash on take-off U gone.  Prang your kite on landing, your gone!  Disco with damage your gone.  Certain exceptions are made for the cat jumping on your keyboard and hitting ALT+F4 :)  They are very fun and can be grueling, even gut wrenching.  Its the trying to stay alive thing.  You don't fly a trashed ride.  you get hit you run like hell to get back to base.  The icon range is very short like D6 Enema and D20ish Friends.  Points are awarded for sorties, kills and targets hit.  Scores are kept and medals & awards are given at S3 close.

I know AH has a community and squads.  I more meant that once you get WITH a squad you hate to leave.  Worse than a Divorce :(  So, you tend to stay where you are and with your squad.

The NO MAC is a major problem as many WBs squads have several MAC guys.

If HT offered a free arena for the S3's, I was not aware of it but again the MAC issue.  That was very kind of HT but I'm sure the political ramifications.......nuff said :)

Me?  Well the wife said I can fly both for a few months.  Hehehe she's a great gal!!

I like it here so far.  The FMs are different enough that I am getting "Real Dead, Real Fast" with few kills.  Ahhh.......the joys of newbie-ism again!

On a final note one of the things I have heard over the years is that Buffing in AH is almost non-existant.  The bomber guys are reluctant to come here.  I haven't evaluated the truth to that yet.  Seems the CT arena should/could be the Buffers answer.

Fun topic guys, hope I shed a bit of light on the S3's.

One thing for sure, I'm gonna fly where I have the most fun!  I get enuff of that STRESS Sh_t at work!

CYAs UP!!
Dracon
 PS:  Just found the Info on Most Memorable Day ToD.  It is more like WBs SL (Scenario Lite) events run by the CM's
« Last Edit: February 03, 2003, 10:46:55 PM by dracon »

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2003, 10:51:37 PM »
Dracon, drop Daddog a mail. He'll answer any of your questions.

Hell of a squad, and a good bunch of people.

As far as flying here, everything happens sooner. The first month all my moves were started too late. You get used to it.

It didn't take that long for me, I only have one move..

..and that one ain't too good..

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2003, 11:07:25 PM »
Can't wait to see more of you guys.

Drex

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2003, 11:23:43 PM »
We are still missing alot of good people :( hope they come over soon.

S3 arena sounds good.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2003, 02:25:28 AM »
As far as I understand, our ToD's and WB's S3s are identical... er, except for what you're alluding to here. Can you expand on this? (have never flown an S3).

Nash what I mean is:
AH CM's are a group picked by HTC.  They are "official" and things like "what is best for the community" and "what is best for HTC" play a factor in their decisions whether they realize it or not.  The S3 janitors don't answer to iEN, they answer only to the participating squadrons.  They don't have to humor whiners, and they don't have to be "fair", and their product does not have to be acceptable or accessible to the masses.
This is not a thinly veiled whine about performance of HTC CM's, I think they do a great job.  But the way S3 is run is a little different, at least in a subtle way.

The main thing I noticed in S3 was a more "professional" atmosphere among the squads and more of a focus on duplicating actual engagements than on pure gameplay.  WB doesn't have the big official scenarios (e.g. BoB, Niemen) so I think a lot of the player energy that would go into those events goes into S3.

Basically they are pretty similar events though, TOD and S3.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2003, 02:31:15 AM by funkedup »

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2003, 03:11:37 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup
Nash what I mean is:
AH CM's are a group picked by HTC.  They are "official" and things like "what is best for the community" and "what is best for HTC" play a factor in their decisions whether they realize it or not.  

We are not picked by HTC

We do try to consider "community"..........

We do try to consider that events should add to the AH experience..........

We do it for fun.......

We are allowed some tools  ........ (the SEA)

However anyone thinking that we sit at the right (or left) hand of cod is very mistaken.......... (although we get very good support)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2003, 03:13:43 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2003, 03:55:04 AM »
*shrugs*
Maybe it's different now.  I haven't really participated in the game for the last 9 months or so.

Back on topic:
S3 are run completely by the participating squads.  TOD's aren't.  At the inception of TOD a decision was made to not allow the squads to run it, and that's how it is.

(I edited this to remove some statements that I'm not sure were factually correct.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2003, 04:23:05 AM by funkedup »

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2003, 04:59:18 AM »
I dont get it.  TOD and S3 sounds identical but with less work for the players (CMs do it).

And the CAP event.......well it just doesnt compare to anything.

HT why not just give any WBers a free SEA only account for a month or two and we'll show em our magic?

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2003, 05:13:37 AM »
I'm still not sure I understand this correctly.  The Squadrons arrange the S3s amoung themselves?   So it's all on the honour system then?  There's nothing to stop someone upping a plane that isnt supposed to be flying that night asside from eternal damnation and ridicule from their peers?