Author Topic: <S> Americans  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
<S> Americans
« on: February 03, 2003, 02:32:31 PM »
A man can dream about many things.

Conquering space for example. Or "the last frontier" as some people call it. Personally I think the last frontier is a good name for it. The frontier was the place where the settlers cultivated the praries, where the trappers and explorers saw lands no white man had ever seen before. Where the ground and the animals turned into gold. A place of adventure, danger, rewards. It is the epitome of the land of the free, the responisbility of the individual. It is the place where cowboys rode into the sunset and where the law was upheld by Colt and Winchester.

The frontier was the string of outposts, settlements, forts, farms where the american dream was made. The promise that everything could be achieved if you only wanted it bad enough.

You see, for some of us Europeans the American fascination of the frontier can be hard to understand. For most Europeans the frontier is the place where civilization stops. While it seems that for an american it is the place where dreams begin. It is the place where the american dream lives.

And when the west was won, when the frontier dissapeared, it was relocated.

To space.

That is why the Colombia lays scattered all over Texas. That is why Challenger was lost.

Some may say that there are other reasons behind those tragic fates. A space race, military interests, economic interests, presidents wanting to make history or congressmen in the pocket of the space industry, obsessed engineers or the lowest bidder...or maybe a broken ceramic tile, a rubber o-ring.

But there would never have been any Columbia or Challenger if it hadnt been for the Americans and their dream, their frontier. And maybe that is the last outpost of old ideals these days, an outpost for the desire to conquer nature, a place where sacrifice, duty, honor still means something.

So while the rest of the world shares your grief over your fallen astronauts, we remain confident that you will return once again to the frontier. And that you will keep on doing these great things in the name of all mankind. To conquer new lands, to visit places never before seen by man. To travel further than anyone has ever gone before. Because it is only you who can do it. No other nation on this Earth seems capable for anything more than to follow in your footsteps. Nowhere does this become more apparent than right now.

You know, I have to wonder if the Iraqis, or the ones squatting in caves in Afghanistan could ever even begin to dream about starting a space program, a program of exploration, to reach for the stars.  

I doubt it.

Sometimes you may appear greedy, self-serving or even  arrogant, but your system, your way of life, your dream produces some absolutely stunning achievements. You have walked on the moon, you are aiming at Mars.

So at the risk of becoming "the rest of the night was spent holding Kimberly"-material. And for no particular reason, a big to each and every one of you (yes, even you weazel), for being who you are.

Dont ever change.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
<S> Americans
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 02:35:32 PM »
Very heartfelt - thank you.  Its nice to see an alternate viewpoint on the BBS from time to time (even if it is a bit soothing like "waves crashing on the shore."  :D

I vote we give more aid to Sweden!!!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
<S> Americans
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 02:36:09 PM »
wannabe.

:D

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 02:37:57 PM »
Nice post Hortlund.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 02:47:04 PM »
Well written Steve. I feel no need to argue with you... weird feeling.

and thank you.

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 02:51:24 PM »
Sorry but I can't agree... what you said is not a trademark of the US of A, but of humanity.

Shuttle Columbia was named after Cristobal Colon, explorer, dreamer from (I think) Naples who wanted to find a new route to the Indies.

The Spanish kings of the time decided it would be worth the risk so they funded the expedition... and America was discovered.

I think the desire for exploration, for new frontiers, to go forward, is embedded in humans... we just happen to forget it sometimes.

Space is the best of examples.

Space was conquered thanks to the work of people from many races, creeds, and countries.

Did they really want their country to go to space or humanity as a whole?

My opinion may be biased by the fact that I know people from many different places working in the space industry, and I can tell you they don't give a damn if the first man/woman to put his/her foot on the surface of Mars is American, Cambodian, or from Congo. They want to dedicate their work to achieve something bigger than them, knowing that the final results can take decades to come. They may not live to see the result of their work, but that's the spirit, actually.

Call me a dreamer, but I'll try to do my best (which is not much, to be honest) to help space exploration go forward. Not because I'm from Barcelona, Catalunya, Espaņa, or Europe, but because I think it's worth it.

And that's about all I want to say about this.

Daniel

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2003, 03:15:07 PM »
but cyrano, the term american doesnt necessarily mean "originating from america."   it could mean anyone from anywhere on the globe.  they call it the melting pot for a reason.  

Space was conquered thanks to the work of people from many races, creeds, and countries.
[/b]

i agree.  is america not made up for MANY races, creeds, etc?  name one human of any nationality the US does not contain within its borders.  in a sense, to give credit to america is to give credit to the world.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
<S> Americans
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2003, 03:16:51 PM »
Hortlund

That was well said.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2003, 03:41:36 PM »
Thank you Hortland. As an Ameican, I've begun to feel like a target  recently, and your post makes "their" aim a little tougher.

And CyranoAH, you need to study your American history a little closer and remember that this country is truly a melting pot like Octavius said.

;)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
<S> Americans
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2003, 04:05:05 PM »
What Cyrano meant (i think) was that we are here today (technologicaly speaking) because of the deeds of many poeple around earth, Not the US of A only. (Ok, the ratio is large but... ;)).
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
<S> Americans
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2003, 04:25:34 PM »

Offline TWOLF

• Copper Member
Thank You Hortland
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2003, 06:19:48 PM »
My ancestors immigrated to the Americas because of the Ideas posted in Hortland's post.  They came from Prussia, Scotland, Belgium, and Sweden.  I am a third Generation U.S. Citizen.  I believe and always will in the Constitution of the United States.  I think the men who wrote it were truly inspired.  The will to be free lives in it, and the way to be free is defined by it.  Often we stumble, fight among ourselves, and make mistakes.  But the spirit of dreams that brought our ancestors to the shores of the Americas lives on.
  I lived in Europe for many years while in the Service, and I always felt like I was returning to my long lost home when exiting the Flugplatz im Frankfurt.  But my home is Chicago.  I was born here, I have loved, cried, and maybe I will die here.  But my dream is for a Constitution for the whole world to live under and flourish under.  One Nation of Earth with all the Voices of all of our many faces, and cultures represented Equally.  Not an Empire, but a community.  I think that as communication between average folks progresses, this dream will be realized.  No sane man ever wants war, and we all have a dream of freedom, prosperity, and of peace.
  The beginings of that dream have started with the international Space Station.  As we of earth look up and see three intrepid men from nations that were at once on the brink of Nuclear destruction we can all look up and have hope.  We have lost some of the best in us in achieving that Saturday.  More will be lost before the end, but their legacy will live on in all the Free Hearts of Earth.

Thank you Hortand for writing that post.

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2003, 06:57:06 PM »
TWOLF, it's good to see someone else that believes in a world community that lives in peace. I presented the idea of a world government in college many years ago and my professor said it would probably be 500 years before that happened. I hope we don't have to wait that long for your ideas to come to the forefront.

:)

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2003, 07:00:45 PM »
"The eagle has landed."

Most significant words of last millenium .

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2003, 07:25:04 PM »
That was the nicest thing i think i have read on this board ever.
thx Man.