Author Topic: <S> Americans  (Read 3612 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2003, 10:18:08 AM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
Give it up guys..

They don't know much about the world outside the US, other than what they're taught, and that's not much from what I've heard.

I wish people would realise there is no need for country bashing.

Me too. :rolleyes:
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2003, 10:43:04 AM »
"Many (let me point out many, not all) US citizens have grown up in a bubble.. They don't know much about the world "

maybe... but ya gotta admit.... it can be a very very large and divirse "bubble".

I guess if say.... italy, ever becomes and important nation we will be sorry we didn't spend more time trying to understand.  Till then... I don't like scooters that much anyway but I do like the climate.... mostly.
lazs

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2003, 11:08:20 AM »
Busy day here, I'll answer a few and then I must be about RL business.

I am perhaps not as clear as I'd like to think I am.

I don't expect or require that any "country" or "massive group of individuals" agree with my individual beliefs.

Nor do I have to agree with theirs.

I don't speak for all Americans, nor would I ever try to do so. I speak for myself alone.

However, I can, to some degree, influence my sons and my friends and they can "pass it on" their sons and friends. I can and do write to my governmental representatives and share my views there as well.

I personally do not feel that American involvement in the various "world crisis" scenarios that we have participated in since WW2 have been worth it.

Had I been given the decision, the rest of the world would have had to settle their problems without US troops becoming involved.

A very different world would have resulted; I doubt there's any that would dispute that. Some may say "better" some may say "worse" but I think all would agree "different".

The isolation I would propose would be that of Washington in his Farewell Address which I posted here long, long ago. I'll requote the applicable part immediately after this post. I feel it's near perfect.

We have absolutely no need to be militarily active around the globe EXCEPT in the direct defense of our liberty against those that have struck at our nation.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Excerpt from Washington's Farewell Address
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2003, 11:08:56 AM »
Our detached & distant situation invites and enables us to pursue a different course. If we remain one People, under an efficient government, the period is not far off, when we may defy material injury from external annoyance; when we may take such an attitude as will cause the neutrality we may at any time resolve upon to be scrupulously respected; when belligerent nations, under the impossibility of making acquisitions upon us, will not lightly hazard the giving us provocation; when we may choose peace or War, as our interest guided by justice shall Counsel.

What a prescient man. We've essentially arrived at that state, Al-Qaeda not withstanding.

Why forego the advantages of so peculiar a situation? Why quit our own to stand upon foreign ground? Why, by interweaving our destiny with that of any part of Europe, entangle our peace and [p. 27 image] prosperity in the toils of European Ambition, Rivalship, Interest, Humour or Caprice?

Why indeed? Why didn't we listen to him?If we had, we wouldn't be dealing with 9/11

'Tis our true policy to steer clear of permanent Alliances,[note] with any portion of the foreign World--So far, I mean, as we are now at liberty to do it--for let me not be understood as capable of patronising infidility to existing engagements, (I hold the maxim no less applicable to public than to private affairs, that honesty is always the best policy)--I repeat it therefore, Let those engagements. be observed in their genuine sense. But in my opinion, it is unnecessary and would be unwise to extend them.

Right again, George. We failed to listen and now we pay the price.

Taking care always to keep ourselves, by suitable establishments, on a respectably defensive posture, we may safely trust to temporary alliances for extraordinary emergencies.

Harmony, liberal intercourse with all Nations, are recommended by policy, humanity and interest. But even our Commercial policy should hold an equal and impartial hand: neither seeking nor granting exclusive favours or preferences; consulting the natural course of things; diffusing & deversifying by gentle means the streams of Commerce, but forcing nothing;

How I wish we had not strayed from this advice. How I wish we would return to it.

establishing with Powers so disposed--in order to give to trade a stable course, to define the rights of our Merchants, and to enable the Government to support them--conventional rules of intercourse; [p. 28 image] the best that present circumstances and mutual opinion will permit, but temporary, & liable to be from time to time abandoned or varied, as experience and circumstances shall dictate; constantly keeping in view, that 'tis folly in one Nation to look for disinterested favors from another--that it must pay with a portion of its Independence for whatever it may accept under that character--that by such acceptance, it may place itself in the condition of having given equivalents for nominal favours and yet of being reproached with ingratitude for not giving more.

And one need look no further than the recent threads here to see his wisdom borne out yet again.

There can be no greater error than to expect, or calculate upon real favours from Nation to Nation. 'Tis an illusion which experience must cure, which a just pride ought to discard.

Amen, George. I believe I am cured and I have discarded it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2003, 11:21:25 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding
I think you'll find Toad has spent a lot of life away from the US. He's been out of any bubble for a long time, which is why I'm curious as to why he should want to create one now. His choice, of course.

Yes, I have. In my ~ 7 years in the USAF I was deployed operationally performing Reconnaissance missions approximately 180-220 days per year.

I've visited most parts of Europe multiple times since then as well.

I simply no longer see the value of that kind of sacrifice for an unappreciative world.

For some of you youngsters, WW2 is "Ancient History".

Not for me. My father fought that war in the Pacific. My 8 Uncles fought that war around the globe. One died to a German mortar round at St. Lo shortly after D-Day. The others luckily made it home. From a week behind German lines at Bastogne. From standing between the Maoists and Nationaists in China while trying to fight the Japanese. One from England in support of the 8th AF, another from support of the 5th in the Pacific. One from a SeaBee battalion in the Pacific. From a Quartermaster job in the States in the case of the oldest one.

Other Americans that fought that war were my Scoutmasters, my teachers, my unit leaders. The men that shaped my youth and made me who I am today.

60 years gone. And how are they viewed now? I've seen enough here to draw my own conclusion.

Enough for me to tell my sons "never again."

Angry? Nope? In a rage? Nope.

Merely being a realist and doing a "cost/benefit" analysis under my parameters.

And the result is I don't think its worth it. Neither did Washington and he was absolutely right.

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2003, 11:24:26 AM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf

Many (let me point out many, not all) US citizens have grown up in a bubble.. They don't know much about the world outside the US, other than what they're taught, and that's not much from what I've heard. .

Sorry.....Stud, it's not just Americans.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Lastly, Naso.....
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2003, 11:28:23 AM »
Do you have any doubt that the NSO will leave when the date arrives? Unless BOTH nations reach a mutually agreeable new date? You don't think the US would use armed force to keep it do you? If so, we really have nothing to talk about.

Also, in post-war Italy, after the occupation... how was your government decided, eh? Free elections? Still going on are they?

And as I said, I'll talk with you but I doubt I'd drink with you.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2003, 11:35:03 AM »
Santa, when writing all that I hope you remembered that at this time I am not in favor of using US troops to invade Iraq for any reason. Not "disarmament", not "regime change", not anything.

Iraq's a sovereign nation and at present there has been no display of evidence that would validate "just war".

So, when you assume that I'm saying what I'm saying because of "automatic acception of all US foreign policy decisions" nothing could be further from the truth.

I think quite a bit of our foreign policy is totally porked. I don't agree with much of it myself.

That, however, has nothing to do with what I'm saying in the above posts.

Enough for now.. time to do real work.

The rest of you are cleared in hot; I'll read it all later tonight.

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
<S> Americans
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2003, 11:40:12 AM »
Toad, if you live in a rich country, if you live in the only Superpower left, if you live in the winning nation, the nation  that can wage preeventive war against anyone, the nation that can decide the future of the world (and the no-future, given the mass of WMD she still have)....

It's because your past and present govrnments have decided it is worth.

And have been worth it for the countries jumped in the bandwagon (like mine).

The matter it's not to feel guilty or sorry, just to accept the fact.

Isolate, if you want, you will discover soon how much this "external projection" have to do with the richness of USA.

But this is Utopia (and you know, i am an expert in this :( ).

Somebody else will decide.

And they dont care about what we think.... or, better, they take care about what they made we think.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2003, 11:41:54 AM »
Toad, out of interest: What kind of appreciation are you expecting to get? State level? Personal level?

Didn't all the europeans bow to you and make way on the highway when you visited or what's the deal? :)

If you spent most of your time in uniform, I can really see how you might think that people didn't appreciate you, because most probably they didn't.

Think deep into your recent civillian visits, how were they? Did you leave outside the tourist buses and hotels to visit a real family and get to know real people instead of monuments of dead people?

The one thing most of you seem to miss is that the europeans really can't think that US cavalry rode in with trumpets and saved the whole of europe.. That's simply because every country was fighting at max before the US intervened and continued to do so afterwards. Therefore the euro's consider the war joint effort (which it was) and I can't find anyone not giving US the credit for that it deserves.

As what goes for modern day policies, nobody can really expect that because US gave the country Marshall money 50 years ago (mainly to ensure they wouldn't fall into Soviet camp) they'd act as US puppet governments? It's not about disrespecting or being ungrateful, it's about being sovereign countries with a freedom of decision. Wasn't that the aim in the first place?

If US would expect total allegiance for the support it has been giving, it would be no better than the evil communists who 'liberated' countries from Hitler.

I don't think you want to go that way.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2003, 11:42:41 AM »
Excellent post Toad. Ole George was a pretty smart man. Maybe it's not too late to heed his advice.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2003, 11:52:57 AM »
Originally posted by Toad

I personally do not feel that American involvement in the various "world crisis" scenarios that we have participated in since WW2 have been worth it.

You've finally said something that I disagree with Toad . I think that South Korea, Nicaragua, El Salvador and any of the other countries that we've kept free were all worth it .

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
Re: Lastly, Naso.....
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2003, 12:15:01 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Do you have any doubt that the NSO will leave when the date arrives? Unless BOTH nations reach a mutually agreeable new date? You don't think the US would use armed force to keep it do you? If so, we really have nothing to talk about.

C'mon, mister, you are calling me stupid.

Anyway, no, I dont have doubt on it.

(oh, anyway the NSO is moving in another place, a better place, it need more space).

Also, in post-war Italy, after the occupation... how was your government decided, eh? Free elections? Still going on are they?

And as I said, I'll talk with you but I doubt I'd drink with you.

Anyway, in 1946, after decided to change in Republic (it was a monarchy before), there were elections.

There were the ex partisans still with the weapons of the war.

Part of them were communists, there was a strong communist party, say 50% of people.

The elections were promising a close fight, with a possibility of a real fight after them.

But two powers entered in the field of battle:

The church, scared by the treatment religion had in the communist countries.

The USA, scared to lose a nice strategic position in the middle of the Mediterranean (Oil routes passing thru it).

The church started a fierce campaign against the commies, letting the priest scare the people about commies eating the children (they really say that), and excommunicating the commies activists (can you imagine what that mean in a little bigot hyperreligious town of those times?)

The USA (listening the CIA chief in those times, doing it for the first time as a prototype), passing millions of dollars to the Center-right party (the Democrazia Cristiana), and the newspapers that were on DC's side, so they made the biggest electoral campaign ever seen in Italy until Berlusconi's one.

About free elections now, Berlusconi owns the only 3 nationwide private network existing here, and control the Public TV (it's government controlled here).

You can define this free elections for sure, nobody put a gun on your head, but looking the actors of a Soap-opera, the anchor men, the journalists, the singers, all this people that work for him, declare that they will vote for Berlusconi in proximity of the elections, and thinking at the influence the mass-media beast have on opinions, can you still define this "clean"?

[added in edit]

Oh, and guess when Marshal plan was released for Italy too?

You bet, after the elections.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2003, 12:20:10 PM by Naso »

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2003, 12:30:29 PM »
Toad wrote:
I simply no longer see the value of that kind of sacrifice for an unappreciative world.

The injured wolf will show no appreciation for your efforts to save it. It shall harass and try to bite you, even as you clean its wound. When cured and released, it'll angrily disappear into the woods, with no thought other than getting away from you.

Yet it is in your power, and no one elses, to save the wolf, or leave it to die.

Not doing anything is a choice. Not doing anything when tens of thousands of men, women and children are starved to death. Nor raising a hand when thousands are mutilated, and innocents are forced to dig their own graves and thereafter forever rest in them.

A deed is not truly altruistic if one expects some kind of reward - be it monetary or spiritual. And with power comes responsibility. If one deliberately fails, by choice, to live up to that responsibility, one cannot call oneself a conscientious and moral being.

Demanding gratitude or other rewards for behaviour is something almost universal in children and common in grown men and women. Yet for the true moral being, the act of helping is reward enough in itself - seeing a doomed wolf eagerly leaping for freedom and knowing that one made it possible - that is the reward.

How this applies to the US is simple: I am not asking the US to be the worlds police. Am just saying that with great power comes great responsibility, and electing to turn a blind eye to torture and crimes against humanity is akin to indirectly supporting it. Because of its power, the US, in my mind, is morally obligated just like all other nations, to take a responsibility that is directly related to its power.

60 years gone. And how are they viewed now? I've seen enough here to draw my own conclusion.

You're suggesting that the US efforts aren't appreciated? I don't know how many times I've given my thanks. I don't know how many times other have given their thanks. I have yet to see a post where an European says 'those f@rking Americans intervened in the war, I am not grateful for that'. I think it is wrong to equate resistance to some aspects of US foreign policy to lack of gratitude for the efforts in the first and second world war.

Enough for me to tell my sons "never again."

And what shall you do when a foreign power wages war against you, and another declares war and begins to sink your merchant vessels? Fight back. Like in WWII. It is impossible to realise this dream of 'never again', for several reasons. Like it or not, the world is interconnected, and the US will be dragged into the mess made by others. In Europe, it was not all European countries fault that WWII happened, even though many Americans say 'we tended your mess'. It was one man who started it - or possibly the allied after the capitlation in 1919 - and that included the Americans. Anyway, the US will be dragged in and forced to act, possibly dealing with a monster that as as infant was helpless, but that, thanks to time, has grown strong and resilient.

Do not misunderstand me Toad, this is not an attack on you on your ideals. Just trying to hold a dialogue here to see where you stand, so I can view the difference and adapt.

Also, the US intervention around the world and the imperialistic march of American culture, which has spread because it's convenient and people like it, means that there'll be people with interest in the US. Some of these people will remember past grudges and opt to retaliate in one way or another, sooner or later.

Angry? Nope? In a rage? Nope.

Disillusioned and tired, feeling old and worn? I get this feeling, as if you've fought long, hard and brave, but simply does not have the energy for the fight anymore. I might be utterly wrong though.

Merely being a realist and doing a "cost/benefit" analysis under my parameters.

Does the cost/benefit analysis include the economical loss that comes with losing big financial and national interests abroad?

You might find it comical that I, who on one hand thinks the US meddles too much and uses strong arm tactics too often, am arguing for a continued US participation in world affairs. The difference to me is in how the participation is done. Am not asking the US to be a magic bullet or to fix the problems of troubled countries. But as it is, the US is the only country which alone can stop ethnic cleansing anywhere on earth. As such, it has a responsibility to do it.

Of course, this is just my opinion - I strongly believe that the power I have as a person is directly proportional to the responsibility I have to other humans and all beings and things that are. Even though I'm an atheist, I consider myself a moral and spiritual person. My conscience is too big for my own good, but how can one ignore the suffering of other individuals, who have just as much capacity for love and joy as one self?

And no, am not doing nearly enough to ease my conscience. I have the classical 'we're well off and people are suffering, is it right that I eat all this food and sit comfortably at home consuming enough resources to feed 10 families abroad'. Perhaps it reflects on how I envision the role of the US in the world.

But it is also a reflection of the respect and trust I have in the American people. The role I suggest is a hard one, and the trials will be ardous. The people to undertake them must be tough, passionate, objective and capable of being individuals that can treat wolves, knowing full well that there'll be bites instead of gratitude. Knowing full well that in the end, there'll be a wolf alive that otherwise would have been dead, and that that goal is reward in itself.

I'm an idealist battling cynicism. Flame away.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2003, 12:33:26 PM by StSanta »

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2003, 12:33:18 PM »
Originally posted by krazyhorse
" yawn " yall both are boring the toejam out of me,  maveric  your comment about native americans is BS and you know it, the simple thing is  i dont bash your country and your people so why must you bash mine?  you may call me small or simple minded  ... have you looked in the damn mirror lately,  and to any one concerned i drive around in my pickup with my rifle on my gunrack listening to Born to be Wild  on my 8track player

Show me where I am in error. Show me where I "bashed your country". You show the U.S. as your place of residence at least, as to your nationality, I have no idea.

As to the rest of your post I couldn't care less what you dirive or listen too.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2003, 12:45:53 PM by Maverick »
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown