Author Topic: Terminology?  (Read 801 times)

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Terminology?
« on: February 05, 2003, 01:38:04 AM »
How do I find out what the lingo is? I hear goons, buffs and more and dont understand what it means. Any help? :)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Terminology?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 02:35:13 AM »
Buffs are bombers and Goons are C47s....  :)  For more terminology see the Netaces website - an excellent resource!  :D
[edit to correct mistype]  :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2003, 12:14:49 PM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Terminology?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 08:45:26 AM »
Thanx. ;)

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Terminology?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 02:12:27 AM »
You'll pick up the slang for plane types pretty quick... I still don't know what the hell some of the ACM's people give names to are... and I think I use them all too.
Army of Muppets

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
Terminology?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 07:23:51 AM »
U need some basics:

N1k = Ufo, Hoovercraft, dweeb
La7 = Lala, lame, dweeb
Spit = sisy fire, toejam fire, dweeb

all the time some 1 shots u down and is flying 1 of these planes u have to call out a ( insert plane name here ) dweeb on channel 1. to show him ur disrespect :)

U can add a good "learn to fly" or "Learn ACM" :)
They defentily need it. :)
Freeze

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
      • http://home.clara.net/spiff
Re: Terminology?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2003, 09:31:54 PM »
Originally posted by zroostr
How do I find out what the lingo is? I hear goons, buffs and more and dont understand what it means. Any help? :)

You will find a few common acronyms in the AH help file-you did download the AH help.exe from the downloads page on the AH home page didn't you? :)

To help you out here are some common ones that are in general use:

afaik - as far as I know
afk - I'm away from my keyboard
cap -capped field - combat air patrol over the field
cc - click-click of the mic (message received) - this was normal so that radio silence was not broken. we just type cc.
Wilco -Will comply with
Jabo - Fighter with bombs or rocket ordnance loaded.
Rhubarb -low level attack mission over field or depot
con/s - a dot contact (could be friend or foe)
bogey- definitely an enemy contact
drunks or grunts - paratroopers used for capturing fields
fyi - for your information
goon or gooniebird- the C-47A transport aircraft
buff- A bomber aircraft
ho - head on collision or someone kiling you from a headon position (not a good idea)
imho - in my humble opinion
lanc - the Lancaster III bomber
np - no problem
otw - on the way
prepped- field is prepared for capture
rtb - return(ing) to base
tiffy - the Typhoon
zero / zeke - the A6M5b japanese aircraft
hog -Corsair/ F4U aircraft
jug- P47 aircraft
mossie-Mosquito (in AH this is a Fighter/attack version) with no level bombing sight.
ty - thank you
vb - vehicle base
VH - vehicle hangar
FH-fighter hanger
vulching - killing someone as they take off or land
Vulcher -one who vulches
wtg - way to go or the ruder version wtfg
Salute
Evil Grin
Grins, ducks and runs like hell
dweeb - newcomer or poor flier -or anyone you don't like and call him one just to taunt him.
BabySeal - also a new player who hasn't got a clue yet and gets clubbed (shot down) regularly by other players.
dweeb hunt- when players band together to hunt and shoot down a particular player who has been obnoxious.
CV -Aircraft Carrier
SB-Shore Battery
ACM-Aircraft Manoevres for combat
SA-situational awareness
Tally-ho! enemy sighted and am engaging
InInIn  same as above
Scenario - an arranged combat where two sides reproduce a historical fight like the Battle of Britain (in special events arena)
Usually you have to pre-register to take part.

Sector information- a particular square grid on the map -you can call a location by quoting the particular sector number and assigning the approximate postion by using the same postions as your numeric keyboard numbers.
e.g 10 12 2  ie. Con is in Sector 10 12 and is at the middle bottom of the sector corresponding to your num keyboard number 2. If he was in the middle of the sector it would be 5 etc.

There are more but those are a start. Some of these were inherited from "Air Warrior" (the first large multiplayer combat flight sim now withdrawn as a multiplayer but a lot of players here are ex-AW)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2003, 09:41:40 PM by spiffykraits »

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Terminology?
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2003, 11:05:09 PM »

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Terminology?
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2003, 09:39:07 AM »
bogey = unknown aircraft  IE could be bandit or friendly

bandit = known to be enemy

from what I know..

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Terminology?
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 10:53:17 PM »
Spiffy that is quite comprehensive. :)

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
Terminology?
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2003, 10:56:27 AM »
Spiffy that is quite comprehensive. :)

Not really- were just typed as they came to mind, but I "have" been playing a loong time now.

There were a lot of shortcuts in AW, which of course don't work in AH, and many text based ones that correspond to the AH dot commands -most players were not aware of them but they were useful for staff types like me. But as HT was weaned on AW it's not surprising there are some similarities, even down to the sheep except they don't bleat in AH (they did in AW if you bombed them) :D

I have an awful lot of redundant information swilling around in my brain, but pity the old reflexes don't work like they used to :(

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Terminology?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2003, 02:00:11 PM »
Originally posted by spiffykraits

I have an awful lot of redundant information swilling around in my brain, but pity the old reflexes don't work like they used to :(

Ok then. I have been trying to find out what ENY means when ya choose a plane and havent really found out. Also, I keep hearing about "managing E" and have drawn a blank there too. What's your version if ya dont mind. ;)

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
Terminology?
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2003, 03:59:19 AM »
Ok then. I have been trying to find out what ENY means when ya choose a plane and havent really found out. Also, I keep hearing about "managing E" and have drawn a blank there too. What's your version if ya dont mind. ;)

This is the numerical enemy value assigned to each plane/vehicle for calculating perk points. e.g If you fly a P51D (ENY value 18) and kill a Panzer (ENY value 15) you would receive 18/15 perk points=1.20 It's now more complicated than that but you get the idea. Personally I don't take much notice of the scoring systems. :)

"E" is about the most important part of combat flying. "E" = ENERGY.  Energy is combination of altitude/speed. Either yoou can be going faster than your opponent, or you have sufficient altitude over them to convert that to speed if necessary by diving.  Managing E is important, some aircraft are very efficient at conserving E (Spitfire), some bleed off E fast (Most of the radial engined fighters), so judging the "E" state of you opponent is important in that although you may be higher, he may be going faster, and therefore could have more stored "E" than you.  Any manoevre that requires "large" control inputs will slow you up, due to drag, and therefore you will slow, and lose energy.  Keep manoevres smooth, don't yank on the stick, and pay particular attention to what your opponent is doing, to conserve your speed/altitude over him =managing E

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Terminology?
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2003, 06:39:21 PM »
Thanks dude. :) You're a big help. I couldnt seem to find that info anywhere I was looking.