Author Topic: A request to the AH Community  (Read 3367 times)

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
A request to the AH Community
« on: February 14, 2003, 05:00:28 AM »
To the AH Community,

I have been thinking about this request for some time now but even at the risk of being flamed, I decided to post this anyway.

Please avoid abbreviating the words Japanese or Japan as "JAP".  I am Japanese, and we use JP or like in the Olympics JPN.  We just don't use this term to refer to ourselves.  It was a term used during the war to express hatred and as an expression of the enemy, therefore it has a derogatory connotation.  On the same note, do we refer our German friends as "KRAUT"?

I know that many people do not used this term as intended negatively, however, lately I am catching phrases like the screenshot attached.  While as a fact this may be true, it makes it hard to take it lightly.  I am also running into people who use this term to get on people's cases as well.  I wish it were one or two people who I can squelch but there seems to be quite a few who use this term intentionally.

On the Warbirds BBS, Japanese planes are referred to as IJ planes, which is short for Imperial Japanese planes.

While I do not wish to limit anybody's freedom, I respectfully request to please refrain from using this term, so there will not be mistake with your intentions.  Please use JP, JPN, or IJ.

Thank you.

Osamu Ida
aka
Flying Dutchman

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 05:21:37 AM »
I honestly think the majority of people who use the word 'Jap' don't mean it in a derogatory way.  I can understand your frustration though.  I guess it's the Western way to abbreviate countries, e.g. Brit for British, Scot for Scottish, Finn for Finland etc.  Luckily some countries already have suitable abbr. like 'Dutch' for instance.

Some people use 'Limey' for British people, I don't particularly like that word but I'm not offended by it.

Anyway, thank you for bringing it to the communities attention! :)
NEXX

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2003, 05:26:32 AM »
FD

Wiil work on not useing it here.
No promises but I'll try.

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2003, 07:06:20 AM »
Well said FD, I agree with that 100%, jap(s) should be placed on the auto monitored "inappropriate word" list.

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 07:07:02 AM »
What replicant say
Anyway you have my complete attention to that.
I think we (Ita) are lucky that "spaghetti" is not so short to use:D
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 07:52:30 AM »
This is not meant to be rude at all, just a thought from someone from the Netherlands a.k.a a 'genuine' Flying Dutchman.

If the expression 'JAP' offends you, I'll happily stop using it.

But consider this: Many Dutch people suffered heavily at the hands of the Japanese in WWII and this includes the pilots of the KNIL who fought a desperate battle defending the Dutch East Indies (what is now Indonesia).  To the veterans and those who remember, your name in AH might be far more offensive than using the phrase 'JAP'.

To a young person like me WWII is just pages in the history books but there are people out there who relive its horrors every day. I hasten to say that I am fully aware that this applies to a lot of Japanese people as well.  I am not prejudiced against Japanese, Germans or people of any nationality, but I think my point is as valid as yours.

And what is my personal opinion that you chose to call yourself flying Dutchman? I don't mind at all...

Other people might. But people who respond like in the example you showed should be banned from AH for life.

Offline fullback

• Copper Member
Hi FDutchman
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 08:15:58 AM »
I've thought about this also.

You and I exchange polite greetings online (even though you are flying for the wrong chess piece :D ) and I hope I can offer a reasonable perspective to an emotional issue.

(I say reasonable because the coordinates below my name are for Tokyo. I am not Japanese. I am a caucasian who has lived in Japan for the past 11 years, the U.S. for 29 years and Canada for 9 years. Gawd.... I'm old.)

I don't use the word "Jap." As a matter of fact, this is the first time that I have ever typed it and I feel uncomfortable typing it. I just added quotation marks around it because it makes it easier to look at - as if someone else typed it.

I understand why you posted this and how you feel. I think many repsonses will be that people honestly didn't think that it was offensive. Our beliefs come from what we read, what we see, what we hear and who we know.

Many people think that "Jap" is just a shortened version of Japanese.

Just like "Brit" for British, "Aussie" for Australian, "Swede" for Swedish, "Pole" for Polish and of course... "Tex" for someone from the country of Texas.

There are so many other examples and as much as we would like to believe that people learn about other cultures - the truth is that they don't.

Now... remember how I said that I understand how you feel? I understand because I am called "gaijin." by 99.9% of Japanese.

You and I both know that "Gaijin" is not a shortened form of "Gaikokujin." So why do people call me "Gaijin?" I suspect that you would not call me a "gaijin." Until now... :D

Almost every Japanese will say that they didn't know. Maybe it's the same reason why many will say here, "I didn't know!"

I do have a question though, Mr. Ida:

If Japanese say that they don't know, why do none of the 68 Japanese people I employ, or the hundreds I have interviewed, or the Japanese companies trying to do business with me never use the word "gaijin" in any conversation - without me ever saying a word?

I don't confront people about calling me "gaijin." I can't change the world. But I completely understand your feeling. ;)

[Added: Next time you come to Kanto, I'll buy you a beer. Just don't call me "you-know-what."]:eek:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 08:22:33 AM by fullback »

Offline Turdboy

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2003, 08:16:49 AM »
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying things to piss people off but my limited mind cannot handle the ever changing list of offending words.

It seems like every time I turn around someone else is trying to strike a word off the list because it some how offends them.

Sorry but I'm not going to change my vocabulary after 40 years of use just because someone in the world finds my limited list of words offensive.

I am not now nor will I ever be PC.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2003, 08:17:53 AM »
So... nip would be out too?
lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2003, 08:47:38 AM »
To be completely politicaly correct It's my opinion that we should ban any and all methods of communication within AH for fear that someone who "Doesn't know" may offend someone who "Does know". Until this is achieved it's possible our current situation could lead to unheard of lawsuits and media frenzies by those who are of lesser mental fiber.

Call me whatever name you like, I'm sure it'll make you feel better.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2003, 09:07:05 AM »
Well... I'm a little older than most here and don't keep up much on what is currently aceptable plus... I have a huge backlog formerly correct terms like "miss" and "mailman" and "negro" so...

Perhaps one of the more hip and up to date AH posters couls simply have a weekly thread that would list all the new "acceptable" terms and maybe a list of all the terms that were no longer acceptable?

Thanks in advance
lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2003, 09:13:34 AM »
I find "idiot", and "bastard" offensive, when used in a derogatory sense.  I try not to insult the family heritage of others, and would appreciate the same consideration.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2003, 09:18:59 AM »
So I can still call you "idiot' and 'bastard' in the descriptive sense?
lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2003, 09:19:38 AM »
I find "Redneck" offensive since its generally used as a sterotype.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 09:28:18 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: A request to the AH Community
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2003, 09:51:55 AM »
Originally posted by FDutchmn
To the AH Community,

Please avoid abbreviating the words Japanese or Japan as "JAP".  I am Japanese, and we use JP or like in the Olympics JPN.  We just don't use this term to refer to ourselves.  It was a term used during the war to express hatred and as an expression of the enemy, therefore it has a derogatory connotation.  On the same note, do we refer our German friends as "KRAUT"?

Osamu Ida
aka
Flying Dutchman

Unfortunately, 'Jap' is a logical shortening of Japanese. 'Nip' I can understand. It's not like anyone around here would refer to Japanese planes or players as 'Niponese'. Because I realize the possiblity of offending some of the many Japanese players in the game, I have tried to avoid using the term. However, at this point, I see it to be a bit like calling someone from the United States 'Yank' as a means of shortening United States person. Of course, being from Texas....I would find that most offensive :D.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."