Author Topic: Alt-F4  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Alt-F4
« on: February 22, 2003, 03:59:53 AM »
Ok, the alt-F4 thing was funny the first time I saw it.  Maybe the 2nd time too.  But today it really got to me for some reason.  

Some new player was asking how to move his GV today in the MA.  The first answer was Alt-F4, followed a few seconds later by a couple of real answers.  Then, silence.  Check roster... the player is gone.  :(

Now I know there's freedom of speech and all that, but why isn't Alt-F4 in the profanity filter?  I can't imagine how some poor noob must feel when he tries out a new game, only to get booted the first time he tries to start his engine. And all because some love muffin wanted a two-second laugh.  Not a good first impression, and therefore not good for business.    

Alt-F4 really doesn't serve much purpose in the game... it's not like I'd ever really need to type it to anyone.  It wouldn't hurt anything to filter it out, IMO.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Alt-F4
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 04:03:50 AM »
Like the old esc+P for more power joke in AW, Alt+F4 is the standing joke in AH.  No offense but if you use a computer and don't know what alt+f4 does, then you really shouldn't be using a computer in the first place.

And by the way, the guy didn't press alt+F4.  I guessed you missed his reply back to those that told him to press alt+F4.

ack-ack

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Alt-F4
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 04:09:03 AM »
I hate to see people giving Alt-F4 as the answer to every newbie's question, and don't find it the least bit funny.  It was bad enough in AW when people would give Esc-P as the answer to everything - but at least that only made them bail!  I often wonder how many new players simply don't bother coming back after hitting Alt-F4.....  :(
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Alt-F4
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2003, 04:09:36 AM »
Its funny, harmless, and a good way for them to learn some malice and computer tricks.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Alt-F4
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 04:18:50 AM »
bah, everyone fell for a trick like that once.  Similar tricks exist in every game played by more than three people.

They can range from completly harmless to mildly annoying.  Alt-f4 is an amazingly obvious one that anyone who doesn't know should learn anyways.  (Esp since it's actually usefull)

Anyone who would be truely bothered by being tricked into closing AH has bigger problems than any of us can do anything about.  Then again, it might take a whole minute to reconnect. :rolleyes:

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Alt-F4
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2003, 04:27:31 AM »
Valid points.  I just don't think hazing someone who's new to the game (and maybe even new to computers) is the way to get them to enjoy it.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
Alt-F4
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2003, 06:40:25 AM »
First time it happened to me, I thought it was pretty funny.

I personally would not do it, and tend to agree with Flossy and tarmac on this one, but there are bigger fish to fry these days.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Alt-F4
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2003, 07:13:14 AM »
i don't do it either, but find it mildly amusing.  In a TOD once a squaddie couldd'nt remember how to turn on film.  He asked over squad channel and got several ALT-F4's as a reply.

A few seconds later he relogged asking to join as a gunner :D

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Alt-F4
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2003, 07:25:26 AM »
It's not funny and its not harmless it's anti-social and a great way to put off new players. On the whole the community is very friendly and helpful, it's a few culprits that do this again and again to newbie's.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Alt-F4
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2003, 08:34:59 AM »
Originally posted by akak
Like the old esc+P for more power joke in AW, Alt+F4 is the standing joke in AH.  
ack-ack

The big difference between Alt/F4 and esc/p is that while one bails you out of your plane and keeps you in the game...the other completely shuts down the game. There are some that wouldn't bother to run the game again.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Alt-F4
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2003, 08:44:16 AM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
The big difference between Alt/F4 and esc/p is that while one bails you out of your plane and keeps you in the game...the other completely shuts down the game. There are some that wouldn't bother to run the game again.
Exactly the point I was trying to make.
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Alt-F4
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2003, 09:04:59 AM »
its meant as a joke because everyone automaticly assumes that if a person doesnt know what alt f4 does it means they will now...its a learning experience really...

i cant wait till someone actually makes a game that overrides some windows commands so that you cant multi task and play and noone beleives you when you truthfully say that the answer is alt f4

its funny when its done right...(as in after the 2 week free trial when they have decided to spend there money on it...then they have to come back)

its funniest when it works on a person whos been playing a really really long time...

its still not right until after at least a month of play

Offline Psyco

• Zinc Member
Alt-F4
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2003, 09:46:48 AM »
Has nobody ever sent a new hire to fetch "Sky-Hooks" from maintenance, or a "Paper-Stretcher" from the Foreman of the Press Department?

It's happened to me, including "Hell Night" when playing football, you knew it was coming, but when it was over you knew the tables were now turned, and next year you gave it to the plebes. I still laugh about walking around campus in a skirt Hell-Week (old ex-lineman but still 6'4" 340 lbs), but curious, nobody laughed, at elast where I could hear. I view it as a right of passage, and I bet most of the people who fall for the ALT-F4 "joke"would be the first to laugh about it at a con.

Come-on, you mean me and my fellow offensive lineman were the only ones' to put Atomic Balm Linament in a smart-prettythang running back's jock?

Psyco

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Alt-F4
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2003, 10:20:40 AM »
What HT NEEDS to do, imo...is put up a message thast shows up the very first time ya open game after install..sayin....DONT GO RIGHT INTO THE MA AND ASK HOW TO #%$%$#% TAKE OFF! AND THEN>>>DONT ASK A SERIES OF INCREDIBLY SIMPLE QUESTIONS...deMANDING PROMPT ANSWERS FROM YOUR GAME MATES, FOLLOWED CLOSELY BY INSULTS FOR LACK THEREOF! YA CAN ALT-TAB TO THE WEB SITE AN READ THE $#%$#% MANUAL WHILE YA FLY! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I REALLY dont mind answering questions that are in the 'gray
 area'...but..HOW  I MAKE TANK GO?.....how how a fire rockets....dont they have midair refueling? this plane is slow..this game therefore sucks....how i drop bombs?...ok...how i drop bombs and hit TARGET?.....how come i cant see map....where am i....how come that guy shot me on takeoff.....ya mean ya CANT play this game with keyboard only??!!!  adnauseum...
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Alt-F4
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2003, 10:23:43 AM »
No offense but if you use a computer and don't know what alt+f4 does, then you really shouldn't be using a computer in the first place.

What a condescending, know it all comment, like computers come with a sticker on the monitor stating what alt F4 does. It's guys like you that take the fun out of funny.