Author Topic: Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 472 times)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 26, 2003, 04:20:18 AM »
I was testing a therory out. I own and operate a computerized silkscreen busines for the last 15 years. One problem that plagues silkscreeners is Moire. Moire can't be totally eliminated but it can be controlled to an extent. Moire is the phycidellic pattern look you get combining mesh on the screen with dots in the art running against the grain. Knowing how to eliminate or maximize it by running threads at dots patterns at certain degrees against each other. Well I decided to use this to my advantage in the TE. I tried to do something and it worked out really well. My water  tile has small wave grains running at 45 degrees. I used the snowcap void and placed waves running at 90 degrees and place it over the water tile. Now i placed this tile against the water to land tile Terr0018 and WOW I added got a GREAt effect of waves rolling up the beach. Now taking this one further I placed the same snow cap void with my waves at a slightly different angle and raised it off the terrain by 10 feet.  A fly -by makes the wave look like they are actually moving and rolling up the beach and back.:)

It's really late here So I'll play around and define it and post screenie or a film.

NUTTZ

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 07:37:36 AM »
:) Nice one Nuttz, looking forward to seeing the results.

Talking about placing tiles over each other reminded me of something. I'm not sure if everyone is aware, If you layer 2 tiles and play with the opacity of the top one you get another 'good' tile instantly, no modification neccesary to the edges or anything.

Simple example below. 1st image is background, 2nd image placed on top with 50% opacity. 3rd image is result. Insta new tile :) play with properties, image orientation, blend modes, brightness/contrast and anything else you can think of for sometimes very interesting results.

Gatso

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 08:03:58 AM »
My main concern with this method is that we're using an object to make a new tile...aren't we?

Isn't this a problem, especially with shore lines where you can easily use over 1000 objects to form the shore lines?
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 10:31:52 AM »
This gonna be cool, I wanna see it!
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline buzkill

• Nickel Member
Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 03:47:01 PM »
NUTTZ......know what you mean......had that problem earlier today.....looked good on the screen but when it hit the shirt CRAP:rolleyes:

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 04:40:43 PM »
you need 4 strans of line to hold 1 Dpi, so a 60 dpi dot would need a mesh of 240 count. Lower the Dpi lowers the "banding". I usually use a 50 dpi on a 156 mesh, it eliminates the moire. But you'll have no control on the dots you will loose. Another "quick" fix would be to use an eclipse as the dot rather than a circle, you'll regain controll without loosing any dots. the eclipse has to be 60% to 40 % eclipse.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by buzkill
NUTTZ......know what you mean......had that problem earlier today.....looked good on the screen but when it hit the shirt CRAP:rolleyes:

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 04:56:52 PM »
Can't wait for the screenie NUTTZ :)
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline buzkill

• Nickel Member
Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2003, 05:09:20 PM »
only use 240 mesh on stuff like tight weave nylon...use 200 for every thing else...too many customers to deal with real detail; besides you can only go so small on fabric