Author Topic: what's your landing style?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
what's your landing style?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2003, 01:45:02 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Usually nose down at about 500mph.  Gear optional.

-- Todd/Leviathn

I sometimes trail smoke or missing essential parts. But just sometimes :cool:
Freeze

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2003, 02:04:19 PM »
"How can people play without a throttle ??????"

I don't use a throttle, special rudder control, OR view hat  :)

J_A_B

Offline Fridaddy

• Copper Member
      • http://www.teamlockdown.com
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2003, 02:08:27 PM »
Most of the time I land as a smoking crater and a kill mark on somones airplane.

My best method is to fly above the runway at about 500 ft and 200 mph or less. Then hit enter about 4 or 5 times. Then hit "o" to open the chute. While I drift leasurely to the ground I enjoy the views of the airfield. If need be walk to the runway and hit the tower key.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2003, 02:09:03 PM »
Originally posted by WldThing
Belly landed for 3 months before i knew that i was suppostu be under 200 MPH for the gear to work..

:D :D :D LOL to damn funny!!!!
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
It all depends........
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2003, 02:48:21 PM »
In a Jug I usually try to come in about 1500 feet above the alt of the runway, full throttle til I'm about a mile off the field, then chop throttle and let her glide in.  It's kinda fun to see if you can land without touching the throttle again.  If I'm really really really LOW on fuel, I'll come in hot, maybe 50 feet above the runway and sideslip at the last moment to scrub speed and drop gear.
F6F, P-38, and Ponies, I like to do the Maverick flyby, full bore on the deck, zoom up at zero throttle, pop flaps and gear at the top, then I see if I can land without touching the throttle again.
190/109.......I emulate DMF's style........nosedown, 500mph, lotsa parts missing!  I rarely land a 109 or 190 sortie........lol!

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2003, 03:01:05 PM »
Leviathn has no style.

Me, on the other hand, I'll usually do a tail slide into the ground or if I'm feeling particularly stylish I'll float it down like a harrier.
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2003, 03:05:52 PM »
I too didn't know that gear wouldn't lower over 200 knots, but it only took a few landings and a question to my squaddie before I figured it out.
I fly the Yak a lot and it can be really squirrely to land because it's a light plane. If I come in too hot, I'll bleed E by yawing back and forth. The C-47 seems to be the easiest to land.
I'm going to have to try those full bore climb landings. They sound like fun.

:cool:

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Your Kung-Fu is pretty good...
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2003, 03:36:55 PM »
Now try mine :)

Full power, preferably a creaking, groaning airframe right down the centerline of the strip, go into a slooooow roll, try to make it one long roll from end to end of the runway and keep it under 100 feet. That my friends, is a victory roll, and I wish I saw more of them. I then usually go into a rolling circle to bleed airspeed and line up for the landing, full flaps, gear down, ride the stall horn using throttle to control altitude, try to get a smooth but firm, full stall landing, right to to the re-arm pad if I care to.

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2003, 03:54:06 PM »
Originally posted by Sikboy
and keep an eye on my ROC(or in this case ROD) meter, and apply throttle to keep it the nose up while keeping the ROD down.

VSI = Verticle Speed Indicator

ROC/ROD  hehehe  ;)

Terror

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2003, 04:30:48 PM »
F4U-1 gear will lower at 300 mph. So will one notch of flaps. Lower hook if it's a carrier arrest. Throttle to idle. Sideslip if neccesary but don't get carried away. Keep applying flaps until 3/4 or full. Apply throttle if dropping too much. Airspeed usually just above stall speed at end of runway or carrier. Flare to land.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
???
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2003, 04:44:22 PM »
Originally posted by Terror
VSI = Verticle Speed Indicator

ROC/ROD  hehehe  ;)

Terror

Why are you looking at instruments when you're landing? :eek:   the ONLY thing you should glance at is your airspeed indicator to make sure you're approaching at a decent airspeed...as little as  80 in a Kate, and as high as 180 in a 262.  I do see some goofy lawndart action happening whenever im at a base, usually rearming and looking around at the odd ballet of feeble attempts of landing.  I see bouncing airplanes, gearups with perfectly healthy airplanes, approaches flown into the ground with no flare, and approaches that are pushing Vne.  And it really makes me concerned that these same folks are out there driving on the very same roads as I...scary.  simply terrifying.

Airplanes easy to land...C-47 is one of them i heard it mentioned.  If you get the chance to...an ME-262 is a popsiclecat to land...fly a 7 mile final if you're well withing your territory, flaps come in at 400mph and gear down <200.  Approach at 180 and bleed off speed.  Over the numbers at 150...and it will just settle onto the runway like its got tired feet.  If you've ever seen a Citation land, its quite the same feeling.  very docile on approach, and a beauty to land.  

Hows this for a landing???

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2003, 05:44:21 PM »
I find it easier to land on my side when a wing is missing.

Otherwise it tends to tumble.

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2003, 06:10:42 PM »
fast landing, well come in fast, rudder full right, while ailerons turning left, bit like a power slide on a skate board, get speed slow enough to dploy flaps, then lower landing gear, touch down, then at 150 mph gear up again so as to slide to halt on belly super quick time, then .ef  :)

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2003, 06:11:43 PM »
oh BTW landing like last post will break your plane  :D

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2003, 06:19:08 PM »
I usualy try to land on my feet just to be cocky, but sometimes my approach is too fast and I have to do a roll. This sometimes causes me to tangle in chute cords terribly.:D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------