Author Topic: what's your landing style?  (Read 1942 times)

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
what's your landing style?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2003, 06:45:50 PM »
Mines like greased butter  :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2003, 09:41:27 PM »
Crossed rudder & ailerons, nose up till the flaps drop., if still hot through in a couple of barrel rolls with lots of elev action.

Flare just before runway, let it float till wheels drop.

Or if I have time come in slow, try to touch wheels right on threshold hanging on prop at 90 mph. Stall horn buzzing, adrenaline pumping, overcontrolling thrill of the day.

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
Landing
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2003, 11:35:38 PM »
S!

Always a shallow approach with a 3-point landing.

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2003, 11:55:49 PM »
It's such a rare occasion, I forget? ;)

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2003, 12:19:57 AM »
Gotta go with MiG on this one.
We come in at military power 500-1000 feet over the runway.  At midpoint, lead element chops throttle and pulls left to blackout with a bit of climb, dumping gear and flaps as they pass through those regimes. Reverse to downwind.  When the field is 135 degrees off the left, turn base to final, using throttle to control rate of descent.  Flare and touch down just after the threshhold.
Successive elements count off five seconds and follow.
Yeah, it doesn't happen often, but when it does, you come off looking like rockstars.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2003, 12:38:04 AM »
One thing at a time, I'm still trying to figure out how to take off.

ack-ack

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2003, 01:12:09 AM »
I put my knees together and get them slightly bent. after hitting the ground I make a roll to the side and immediately start pulling the bottom strings toward me, in order to make the canopy fold.
once the chute is neatly packed, I walk back to the squadron.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2003, 02:43:15 AM »
I use some times HOTAB for the landing.

Auto Angle trim on and  activate Hand On the Throttle And Beer.

BTW Its NOT me!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2003, 07:05:20 AM by Xjazz »

Offline N8DOG

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2003, 02:50:03 AM »
He said each pilot needed to land in under a minute. This way if they had 50 planes out they could have all planes down in 50 mins or less. He said the fastest way to land was...

Its called a pitch up for landing. There are a few reasons that the military does them, especially in the navy. #1 it gives an exact spacing between planes, #2 it allows the cable guys to identify the plane and set the cable to the correct tension. #3 it allows the flight boss to give each plane a lookover to make sure everything is A-OK. In AH I used this approach cause it gets you down and stopped faster than any other LANDING. You come in at top speed and do a 180* maximum performance turn, throw the gear and flaps down and land. If you wanted to do a straight in you would have to pull the power off 3-4 miles out to allow the plane to slow down. This comes in really handy if you are being chased or if your oil/fuel/coolant are low.

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2003, 04:16:14 AM »
I dive from  half a sector away, then turn real hard to loose speed, select  a runway, turn hard 2-3 times , drop gear and flaps, land hard and pull on the stick releasing flaps  too skid  to a halt.

Sometimes it works.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2003, 05:06:18 AM »
Hot and dirty, everytime. Barrel over the field at 400 mph, diagonal to the runway, cut throttle and go full rudder deflection and go into a hugely tight turn. If I decide I'm too fast, I'll continue the turn until I've done a full 360. Drop flaps and gear when I can, point it at the runway, flare and drop it on the tarmac in a bone rattling touchdown.

Other times I get shot down or take my wing off on some stupidly rigid refueling shack.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2003, 08:13:54 AM »
AUTOLAND

1. Ensure some kind of Red coloured icon is visible in the rear view

2. Push "X" on the keyboard to select Autoland

2. Wait for the required time until the aircraft has configured itself for landing - this can be determined by one or more abrupt noises.

3. The aircraft will start its approach to the landing with a nose down pitch (Throttling back is often accompanied by large flames down the side of the canopy - do not be alarmed this is normal)

4. Any tendency for the nose to pitch back up should be resisted by pushing the stick forward.

5. Approach to autoland may show the landing point to be spinning rapidly - this is a software error.

6. The aircraft will continue to adjust it's configuration during approach - noises heard are normal.

7. Landing will be swift and you will be rapidly back in the tower to begin another mission.

Sparks

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2003, 08:31:35 AM »
I've started trying a new technique.

I come in low and fast - low to try and blend with the scenery but fast enough to pull up into evasives if I have to.  When the airfield is in sight I kick rudder to bleed off the speed, drop flaps and pull nose up a bit, drop some more flaps, then gear.  Assuming I haven't run out of gas I can correct with power if I undershoot.  Otherwise, if deadstick, I drop 3 tires short of the runway and coast it in on fumes.  If I overshoot the arming pad and don't have gas to go taxi back to it, I'll land the kills.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2003, 08:46:23 AM »
Landing?

Let's see...been driving the Ar234 lately...so check and see if anything has followed me 50 miles for a perk kill.  Nope, seems clear.  Chop throttle.  Wait wait wait.  Spiraling, decending turns to bleed speed and energy....finally get lined up on runway.  Check for cons...slow to 200.  Gear down.  One notch flaps.  Check for cons.  Main gear touch down at 180, hammer the brakes.  Wait wait wait wait wait wait...  :)  Stop, exit.  

Tho I confess, its a bit more exciting when you are low and slow and a Dora suddenly makes an appearance from 10k... Aiieeeee

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2003, 09:09:26 AM »
I've probably landed more times than any player in the game...

Not due to my overwhelming ability to rtb and land kills however.

I usually log three or four landings each time I rtb because I'm bouncing so bad my fillings come out. Hell, my pilot probably looks like he's doing the wave at a football game in the cockpit.

Amazingly enough, I somehow survive these violent encounters with the runway and manage to keep my plane together. Rather than admit I can't land smoothly, I just tell everyone it's my "style"... hehehe