Author Topic: what's your landing style?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
what's your landing style?
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2003, 09:20:36 AM »
3 point or more often  "patatoïd" ;)

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2003, 04:39:39 PM »
I noticed that in Ah ,when u use the brakes, planes don't nose over like in Warbirds.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2003, 04:53:59 PM »
Originally posted by Sparks
AUTOLAND

ROFL
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Wilfrid

• Copper Member
      • http://www.crytek.de
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2003, 05:34:51 PM »
Landing technique, Me262:

1. Fly long sortie; scare some La7's by pointing nose at them .
2. Return to friendly territory; ignore red dot at edge of sector.
3. Make approach to friendly base - drop flaps, slow down, drop gear; ignore (now closer) red dot in friendly sector.
4. Wave off
5. Notice red dot is now very close; relocate to next friendly base (behind enemy lines)
6. Make approach to friendly base - drop flaps, slow down, drop gear; ignore red dot in friendly sector.
7. Wave off
8. Realise fuel state is critical; go around
9. Notice red dot is now very close
10. Make approach to friendly base - drop flaps, slow down, drop gear;
11. Wave off
12. HO enemy P47
13. Lose at this

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2003, 07:02:37 PM »
Originally posted by slimm50
On those rare occasions I've survived all the way back to home base I'm usually balls-to-th-wall. So, what I generally do is buzz the fld at about 375-400 mph, cut engine at the end of the runway, while simultaneously haulin back on the stick. Somewhere near the top my  speed has dropped to under, or near, 200 mph. That's when I dump gear and flaps. Soon I'm pointing at the ground, inverted, so I roll upright, and hope I don't pancake into the tarmack as I flare at the last instant. I've gotten pretty good at this.

Thats what that lady russian IL2 pilot did... I keep forgetting her name and I know someone is gonna post it under here :D
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2003, 03:33:34 AM »
Originally posted by Sparks
AUTOLAND

1. Ensure some kind of Red coloured icon is visible in the rear view

2. Push "X" on the keyboard to select Autoland

2. Wait for the required time until the aircraft has configured itself for landing - this can be determined by one or more abrupt noises.

3. The aircraft will start its approach to the landing with a nose down pitch (Throttling back is often accompanied by large flames down the side of the canopy - do not be alarmed this is normal)

4. Any tendency for the nose to pitch back up should be resisted by pushing the stick forward.

5. Approach to autoland may show the landing point to be spinning rapidly - this is a software error.

6. The aircraft will continue to adjust it's configuration during approach - noises heard are normal.

7. Landing will be swift and you will be rapidly back in the tower to begin another mission.

Sparks

ROFL
Freeze

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2003, 09:26:13 AM »
Landing easy, I just reduce power on the downwind and trickle it off lowering flap and gear, turning final I add a little power to help controllability. Over the runway I reduce power again and look towards the end of the runway. As I see the ground rush up in my peripheral vision. I begin the flare only to overdo it bang into the ground bounce 30 feet in the air, try to catch it over compensate bounce again this time to the right of the runway. So I hit full power, go around and head to another airfield where no one knows me.

OH wait, you mean landing in the game, not real life???????!!!! Ignore the above. I'm just joking :o :o :o

I run in and break. This technique was developed for the simple reason that it reduced the time you were exposed to attack while low and slow. Which on AH is a big factor. Plus of course it has a big show off element if you add a victory roll or two. But then I overdo on the flare bounce badly fly off the side of runway clip the tower and blow up.  Oh well!

Some people have very scary landing techniques like the zero I met head on last night while I was taking off. It was the only time I actually got a genuine fright on AH.

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2003, 11:27:46 AM »
Usually nose down at about 500mph. Gear optional.

I'm no expert, so I may be wrong about this, but it sounds to me as if your approach angle is too steep.  I was using an approach angle of between 89 and 90 degrees and had this same problem.  I've been gradually reducing it tour by tour to find the correct one.  This tour I plan on approaching at an angle of 72-73 degrees and seeing how that works.  Despite my past failures I'm feeling optomistic.  I'll update you at the end of the tour.

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2003, 05:37:39 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
All,

I saw a show on  Discovery Wings, an old fighter pilot was talking about just this.

He said each pilot needed to land in under a minute.  This way if they had 50 planes out they could have all planes down in 50 mins or less.  He said the fastest way to land was...

Full speed flyby past the tower, when he reached the opposite end of the runway he would throttle back to idle and pull a wingover; put the plane in a steep climb, when the airspeed was low enough he would dump his gear and flaps and kick the rudder, drop the nose pull back for the runway.

This is the way to do it in my opinion. A Friend of my Dad's (a guy who helped 'teach him to really fly - after he got his pilot's license') told me to land this way long ago when I first started playing WB. The guy flew in WW2 and Korea...go figure. :)

Mike/wulfie

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2003, 11:49:24 AM »
here's my usual, though not prefered style of landing :D

Offline dsrtrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2003, 11:12:30 AM »
Is USGolfer now gonna give lessons on how to land? Cmon man, let the peeps have fun. If they can't land, don't come on here and bash them because you happen to have 50 hours in 172.

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2003, 01:55:16 PM »
I prefer to come in low and fast with WEP on and if there are players on the runway I can give a haircut to, I will buzz the entire length of runway.  Otherwise, if there is no one around to buzz, I'll chop throttle and make a left turn break right about the halfway point down the runway and start turning 180 degrees in a near blackout.  Usually by the time I'm nose level again heading downwind, I can start dropping flaps.  Typically by the time I'm heading on final, my speed is low enough where I have gear and full flaps down and I'm getting my plane to fly such that all I do is adjust throttle to affect my descent rate.  Right before my wheels touch the runway I pull up my flaps to make sure I stick to the runway.  In a Corsair, I'll also turn off the engine to get rid of any torque.  

For the longest time I didn't have a throttle but had 100% and idle throttle mapped to my joystick and would come in alternating between the two to make a steady speed.  RRRRRRRR flflflflflfl RRRRRRRRRRR flflflfl  RRRRRRRRR flflflfl.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2003, 02:28:03 PM »
My usual landing style is: (remember landing in this game is optional and because it is optional I seem to prefer getting shot down instead, must be an unconscience choice, cuz I don't remember deciding on that)
I start to point the nose at the runway at least 3 to 5 miles out, lining it up with the zoom view and setting shift -x to come in on a steady descent. I continually check 6 and dar map to see if anyone sneaking up on me, this tends to become a paranoid schizophrenic behavior the closer I get to the runway, the map flashing up, then down, my views spinning around like my neck is on ball bearings, Map up-Down,spin the views, zoom to look at runway approach,map up, down, spin views, zoom view---crap too fast, chop throttle, map up, down, spin views,  zoom -stall horn, up the throttle, map up, down, spin the views, zoom view, hanger fills the screen, crap Im close, chop throttle, map up,down, chop throttle, notice no visible increase in speed, map up, down, look for fuel gauge, now where the heck is it, page down -oh there it is on E, ok, glider time, still on line, come in for nice gentle approach, 1 notch flaps, nice smooth landing, short of runway, roll slowly to runway, stop about 2 feet short
--you have ditched........
My normal landing style :)

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2003, 02:35:45 PM »
Depends on what part of the aircraft.  Typically control surfaces flutter gently.  The larger pieces tend not to flutter as much, and the engine just thuds into the ground.

As for me, foot, ankle, knee, hip, shoulder, then I roll, release the parachute, and activate my emergency radio for SAR.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2003, 02:57:25 PM »
now that I have a twisty  (thanx a lot :)), I discovered the power of the sideslip in bleeding off airspeed, so my landings don't look like carrier approaches anymore.