Author Topic: what's your landing style?  (Read 1943 times)

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
what's your landing style?
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2003, 09:32:16 PM »
My landing style:

(1)Fly to friendly airfield

(2)At 10,000 feet I enter my aircraft into a spin in order to lose altitude quickly without overstressing airframe.

(3)At 3000 feet I pop flaps and gear

(4)2000ft Opposite rudder and stick forward

(5)1500ft Engine at full throttle, still trying to recover

(6) 1000ft full forward trim, still trying to recover

(7)500ft gear and flaps retracted, still trying to recover

(8)100ft enter enter enter

(9) Another sucessful landing

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
Here's one to try...
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2003, 03:37:27 PM »
I learned this while reading "Stick & Rudder", and practiced it in real life with my Culver Cadet. It also works quite well in AH, especially if you think you've screwed up a dead-stick approach. It's especially useful for planes with no flaps, and for short field landings.

Here's how it works. After turning final and you're lined up with the runway, and when you're in a position close to the runway threshhold but above a normal glideslope (where most pilots would go around, thinking they were too high to land), you pull the stick back until you reach mimimum controllable airspeed, and hold it there with pitch control. If you're comfortable with your plane you can keep it right on the verge of a stall. Be careful here, you don't want to stall/spin at low altitude. If you think you're going to stall, push forward slightly--just enough to avoid the stall. You will begin to descend like a rock, yet retain complete control of the aircraft. Watch your altitude. You will be in a nose-high attitude so refer to your compass and peripheral vision to maintain runway heading, and your peripheral vision and altimeter to decide when to break out of the maneuver in order to touch down gently. To land, push forward enough to gain a little airspeed to facilitate control authority just before touchdown, to get sight of and check/adjust alignment with the runway, and to (most important) reduce the high rate of descent. Yea, it's weird, you're going to push FORWARD to get your rate of descent under control. If necessary, add a touch of throttle to quickly get your airspeed up to the normal landing speed. It's usually only a matter of a few seconds between when you start the recovery and touch down on the runway.

Okay, there's not a lot of room for error with this type of landing. It requires some confidence in your plane and your own ability. For most, it probably makes more sense to just use a slide slip. But, this landing is worth experimenting with if you want to try something new, and improve your low-speed and/or short field  piloting skills. Once you get it down, try it while also holding a side-skip, for a nearly vertical angle of descent (much like a helicopter or elevator!).

AlgyFT
« Last Edit: March 05, 2003, 03:50:00 PM by Biggles »

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2003, 04:01:07 PM »
humm risky territory here...I can see how this might work but indeed there is no room for error. And in AH, that little burst of power might roll you over :)

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/computerpilot/
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2003, 07:35:37 PM »
Landing?

Any I can walk away from...

Thorns

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2003, 10:32:14 PM »
I say Biggles that's seems a rather hairy procedure old boy! I would be a rum do, if some fellow was find himself in a rather high rate of descent close to the ground.
Rather you than me old chap. Talking to the boffins they seem to think one could rather easily find ones self at what they call the wrong end of the drag curve. No bally idea what that means but they assure me it could end with you going for a Burton after a rather nasty prang. Dashed bad luck that would be. I daresay I won't be trying in my Sopwith Camel anytime soon. Toodle pip!

I did try the method mentioned by marso1 but it resulted in a rather interesting un recoverable flat spin. Jolly bad luck that. These days I rather prefer a low inverted pass so I can keep the runway in sight, then gear up, (it's on top you see old chap). A quick roll upright and tally ho another successful jolly flip having bagged a couple more of the bally Boche.

Back in time for tea and medals, jolly good show, what?

Algy

Offline krazyhorse

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2003, 10:05:19 AM »
real fun is when ya blackout on apprach due to pilot wound,, have plane lined up in advance of balck out , chop throttle to coordinate with time to run way lower gear hit x  ,  then when ya wake back up your down and safe:)

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2003, 11:34:35 AM »
Hey CPXXX,

Yeah if you balk the Wing Over you can land yourself in an upside down flat spin and you are history.  Kick the rudder over when your airspeed is say 250 or 200, then you should have enough energy to get you around.

Wow Biggles, putting the plane into MCA to loose alt,  that reminds me of a saying - There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots. lolh.

Good luck!!!

Mars01 - MAW Blacksheep

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2003, 12:18:56 PM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
Back in time for tea and medals, jolly good show, what?

Strewth! It's Lord Bertrand Lissie! Great to see you here, Bertie! Top hole, eh what!

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2003, 02:38:17 PM »
Originally posted by udet
I noticed that in Ah ,when u use the brakes, planes don't nose over like in Warbirds.

Udet, when I fly the pony I notice it will nose over if brakes are applied too soon. I generally have to tap 'em, and watch out for violent right-turns right before it stops. Same for Spitty. Must be th long nose with all that weight out front.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2003, 03:17:47 PM »
Come in hot and low perpendicular to the runway... over the top, cut the thottle and hard break into the downwind leg... after passing the end pull up and do a wingover back towards the runway... I'm slamming the flaps down as fast as I can... adding a notch whenever possible as my speed bleeds... at 150 or so, the gear is out... nose is pointed short of the runway and I flare at the bottom and maybe even add some throttle if I bled too much on the wing over.

The rudder bleeds E like mad... it's far more efficient to cross-control the rudder and the aileron for braking than it is to do hard turns.
sand

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2003, 08:54:34 PM »
Ah Bigglesworth old chum you saw through my rather obvious attempt to fool you by pretending to be Algy. But my dear fellow I note your use of the word 'Strewth'. Good lord!¬ have you taken to consorting with those frightful Australians. Old chap, you would put up a ghastly black, were you to use that term here in Epsom. But it could be worse at least they're not American!

Bertie