Author Topic: $3/gallon  (Read 1030 times)

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
$3/gallon
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2003, 12:50:57 AM »
loser:

man, I know that subculture. I was neck deep in that group.  I've got the scars on my knuckles where the manifold bit me over and over again. I dig American muscle cars and drag racing, speed, tourque and getting your hands dirty fixing and tuning. its a great hobby and I'll teach my sons to love a good car too.

I guess my caustic spewing is that just perhaps that kind of excessive consumption has to come to an end, or at least a major modification in our  modern times. The old days are pretty much gone and while one car is not responsible for much damage, tens of thousands of guzzlers are.

I know its a threat to even speak of having everyone drive sensible cars (and yes I'm poking laz with a stick when I talk of him in his elky), but ok, imagine the price of gas lowering to .50 a gallon. Imagine the cars and SUVs that would come out, then imagine how much of a squeak the US would be to the Middle East and OPEC.

I've nothing against the cars, but everything against how dependent it makes us.

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
$3/gallon
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2003, 03:48:01 AM »
you whiners we pay 5,71 $ per gallon here :(
That is why i cycle 12km everyday to and from campus.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2003, 03:50:17 AM by air_guard »

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
$3/gallon
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2003, 03:56:42 AM »
I pay 0'97 € a liter :eek: ....but it's 98 octane  :D

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
$3/gallon
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2003, 08:41:57 AM »
Air_Guard your heart will thank you in the long run for having to bike around.

Americans have always been about independence and freedom to do whatever. that includes our love affair with cars. Cars mean freedom to go wherever in this big country  whenever we want. The call for a 'road trip' invokes many emotions in Americans. Another American trait is 'bigger/better/faster' which we have in spades..our cars reflect this. I think the problem is that currently  the alternative to 'bigger/better/faster' is 'electric/putt-putt/tiny and I have to admit, that just ain't American. I'm hoping that the powers that be can fuse 'big' with 'effecient'

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
$3/gallon
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2003, 08:54:27 AM »
hawk... you never knew anything about muscle cars or car culture... I will bet the farm on it... it was a passing interest for you.  

loser is correct.   I get more out of a few dollars extra at the pumps than most.. I have made friends and had more recreation than most out of it... How much fuel does it take for someone to skii down a mountain?   how bout travel to wherever?  take a cruise ship to meet people?

as for slavery... sorry... it's illegal ... and eating?  none of your friggin bussiness.   I bet I am in as good a shape as you are... I bet I am in better shape than you will be at my age.. so... does that mean I have the right to tell you how to live, eat and exercise?   Mind your own freekin bussiness.

so what if all the dino juice goes away?   bet we come up with something then huh?  

The prices we see today are not because the resource has gotten proportionately rarer.   Get it?  Hell... bet I use less fuel per year than yu do.  
lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
$3/gallon
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2003, 08:56:48 AM »
and what about them skydivers and recreational pilots?  We would need a whole new government agency to find out what fun is socialy acceptable... I'm sure that appeals to your ilk tho.
lazs

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
$3/gallon
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2003, 09:11:32 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2

so what if all the dino juice goes away?   bet we come up with something then huh?  

Wrong. Humanity will cease to exist. Just like it did when we stopped whaling :)

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
$3/gallon
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2003, 09:18:09 AM »
laz

you are making my point for me

you never knew anything about muscle cars or car culture...

you should go far with your advanced degree in psychoanalysis, I'm sure your patients are in good hands.

it was a passing interest for you.

I was pretty into it, but yes, it passed, once I grew up.

so what if all the dino juice goes away? bet we come up with something then huh?

again, you are making my point for me. this attitude is what is wrong with America, not what is RIGHT.

I know it frightens you to think that you would have to someday give up your guzzler car. how would you define yourself?  by your personality?

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
$3/gallon
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2003, 09:24:49 AM »
Reminds me of the energy crisis of the mid-70's when OPEC put the squeeze on production and drove up prices.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
$3/gallon
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2003, 09:34:31 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2

The prices we see today are not because the resource has gotten proportionately rarer.   Get it?  Hell... bet I use less fuel per year than yu do.  
lazs

I was thinking about this the other day.  What if we ran out of petroleum fuels?  The way I see it, we'd lose the automobile and use bikes like the Chinese, or go way back to our Western roots and ride horses.  Electricity wouldn't be a problem - nukes, baby.  But we wouldn't have airplanes.  Ships would go back to sails or nukes.  Trains would go back to coal or wood.  The trucking industry would collapse and the railroads would grow.

Maybe there would be a war as the oil wound down and countries fought for access to the resources like animals at a lake during an African drought.

There was an Italian comedy back in the '70s that posed the possibility that oil would run out.  The solution?  Italian scientists determined that human beings release a lot of energy during love-making, so they devised a machine that would capture that energy.  I think the film was called "The Sex Machine" in the US.  I don't know the Italian title.  Anyway, consider that your weekend video rental assignment. :p

Offline loser

• Silver Member
$3/gallon
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2003, 09:42:30 AM »
gofaster that will never happen.  There is enough fossil fuels in sand deposits and under the oceans to fuel the world for hundreds and hundreds of years. It is just a question of how much we are willing to pay to extract said fuel.

The "world supply" ( i hate this term) of fuel is more dictated by politics than by technical issues.