Author Topic: Unfair engine mute "cheat"  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Unfair engine mute "cheat"
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2003, 10:26:28 AM »
You saying a real life pilot in a real p51 couldn't crack his cockpit & idle back for a second to listen for enemys? Can you prove that this never happened once?

Another advantage the F16 has over the F15. The way the canopy opens up and forward lets the pilots crack it to listen for boggies sneaking up on them. The F15s canopy would rip right off.
I hear the CIA uses  that ability all the time instead of just checking thier 6.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: Unfair engine mute "cheat"
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2003, 10:29:39 AM »
Originally posted by Kanth
I think you are beginning to snap..

For stating the obvious?

Get with the program and turn your engine sounds back on, Kanth.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2003, 10:44:04 AM »
I have mine turned to about 50% I think because of it interfeering with comms. Perhaps a certain level should be forced to stop this cheat.

Sad to see when a player brings a legitamate problem to the board he gets accused of whining.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2003, 10:56:11 AM »
He doesn't know that the other person was "cheating"... he just sumised it.  Once again, is it possible to hear an aproaching aircraft in AH with your engine noise set to its default setting?  I know it is because I've heard it.  Its even easier when there aren't any other planes around.

Should it be possible?  Dunno... but that's not really a question of "cheating" now is it?  Of course, the post does tell everyone of a really neat trick they can use in the MA and now everyone will know that anyone who breaks with them on their 6 is using this "cheat".

MiniD

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2003, 10:56:59 AM »
Originally posted by Revvin
Sad to see when a player brings a legitamate problem to the board he gets accused of whining.

Err, I'm checking your posts...quite a few....and you are just noticing that sad fact?

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Unfair engine mute "cheat"
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2003, 10:58:48 AM »
I can't find the engine button in my chute!!

Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
For stating the obvious?

Get with the program and turn your engine sounds back on, Kanth.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2003, 11:13:13 AM »
Nice fruity beauquet, good viscosity, nice rich colour, original taste....

yes... definitely a whine!

LOL - turn off engineer sounds is unfair - LOL.

Have you ever thought.. that if you get on their low 6, and they did break turn... welll gee... how about either throttling back and matching their speed, execute a barrel roll or high yo-yo?

Any which way a real pilot would prosecute the attack and get the kill and not blaim his failure on the other person's... eh tactics

LOL turn off engine sounds LOL.

Dah!

How about this one... I couldn't kill him because he was romancing fluffly the sheep in the cockpit and her screams of BaaBaaaBaaaas were driving me crazy with passion. I just couldn't pull the trigger on fluffly.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2003, 11:13:22 AM »
Please.. let's dispense with the nonsense

With you engine OFF, outside noises are set at normal amplitude.

As soon as you start your engine (regardless of you personal sound settings) outside noises are automatically attenuated by a fixed decible level (HTC could give exact figure I am sure)

The range at which you can pick up the audible sound of another A/C with your engine running is less than 200 yards.

I think your complaint is unfounded simply based on the range. If you are sneeking up on someone, you should be able to fire by the time you are at 200 yards.

BTW, I fly with external sounds at 100% and most internal sounds at 80% with the exception of Engine which is at 65%, and that is only because the volume level on HTC's vox is barely audible. (And yes, I know you can adjust the level for vox, but it is totally lame to have the engine noise keep dropping out every time someone is talking)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2003, 11:16:06 AM by Midnight »

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2003, 11:13:39 AM »
Cutting the engine so you can hear what's going on outside of your a/c IS historicaly accurate...I know 'cause I saw Hank Fonda order his rece pilot to do it while searching for enemy armor....wait, I think that was the day after he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express....yeah, must be true.

Anyhow, I'll cut my engine when hunting for GV's...but it feels so....Hollywood.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2003, 11:14:00 AM »

My point was that it doesn't matter anyway.  If you're relying on turning your engine sounds off to enhance situational awareness or supplement for actually checking your six and ensuring that nobody's in your blind spots... then it's probably not going to help you very much anyway.

I mean, you can hear enemy planes even WITH the engine sounds turned up, so it can't be that much of a help anyway.  I can understand turning off engine sounds because they're loud and annoying, but as a means to "cheat" for better SA?  Maybe as a pipe dream.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unfair engine mute "cheat"
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2003, 11:15:15 AM »
Originally posted by Kanth
I can't find the engine button in my chute!!

Chute?!?  You shoulda turned off your engine sounds so you could have heard that guy coming!

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2003, 11:30:39 AM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Err, I'm checking your posts...quite a few....and you are just noticing that sad fact?

Apart from responding to questions about the Cougar or other problems in the Hardware/Software forum I don't visit these forums half as much as I used to, too much noise to wade through.

Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
My point was that it doesn't matter anyway. If you're relying on turning your engine sounds off to enhance situational awareness or supplement for actually checking your six and ensuring that nobody's in your blind spots... then it's probably not going to help you very much anyway

Maybe in some cases but should we not look into every possible gamey tweak to make a level playing field for all?

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2003, 11:39:17 AM »
Maybe in some cases but should we not look into every possible gamey tweak to make a level playing field for all?

The debate is whether or not this is even a gamey "tweak" in the first place.  I can't imagine that someone with already excellent SA would gain some advantage from this.  And if it aids those with piss poor SA?  More power to them, I guess, but I have my doubts.  Frankly, I'd just find it more confusing in a furball environment than helpful.

A simple fix would be to tie external sound volume to the engine sound volume if it truly is an enormous problem that destroys the so-called level playing field.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline smash

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2003, 11:52:48 AM »
I too wish I hadn't read this.

If it's a game - then it doesn't matter.

If it's a sim -  fix it.
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Intel Core i7-6850K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 08G-P4-6183-KR, 8GB GDDR5X W/Oculus Rift
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
CPU and Vid are water cooled

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2003, 12:05:31 PM »
Originally posted by Rude
The worst thing I ever did was start reading and posting on these boards....with whines like this one and the O'Club, finding another hobby sounds better and better.

How I miss your Whine of the Week awards.

Ack-Ack