Author Topic: "Columbia teacher calls for `a million Mogadishus'"  (Read 1368 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
"Columbia teacher calls for `a million Mogadishus'"
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2003, 02:04:13 PM »
Yikes Grun!

Sorry to disappoint you, but I thought the professor's speech was stupid. He is an idiot. Who said I was calm? I was commenting on the biased nature of the report, not the words of this degenerate Columbia teacher... get a grip son!

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2003, 02:12:46 PM »
I just think you would have been much more upset than you are now, and I doubt you would except any exuse for the event.

I'm just very surprised what people on college campuses have tolerance for, you know the guy would have been fired or forced to resign withinn 10 seconds if he said the same thing about blacks or women - but when its American soldiers its all fine. Crap he even called all supporters of the war white supremacists,  he was allready covering his bellybutton there by pandering to the race crowd.

Just find it shocking MT.

Why do so many of the liberals have such a double standard? Can you explain?

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2003, 02:34:31 PM »
Email sent.  Columbia will fire this guy, Ill bet on it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2003, 06:19:36 PM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
Email sent.  Columbia will fire this guy, Ill bet on it.

I expect that they will censor him and if he hasn't been tenured already, won't offer him tenure.  Firing him for his comments opens up a can of worms because it will violate his 1st Amendment rights and he will win his multi-million dollar lawsuit for violating his civil rights and unlawful termination.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
Oh, and he's an Anti-Semite too..Keep those e-mails rolling
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2003, 10:40:40 AM »
New York Post
March 31, 2003 --

The Columbia University professor who said he hopes the U.S. military suffers "a million Mogadishus" is getting bashed by university alumni and big-name donors.

Anthropology and Latino-studies assistant professor Nicholas De Genova stayed out of sight yesterday as his anti-troops rhetoric generated a backlash.

De Genova, 35, said last week at a Columbia "teach-in" on the Iraq war: "The only true heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military. I personally would like to see a million Mogadishus."

That remark and ones by other professors led university alumnus Dr. Stephen Rittenberg, Class of 1957, to write the Columbia Spectator student newspaper Web site.

"The infantile narcissism of the anti-war profs is sickening," Rittenberg wrote. "Once upon a time, Columbia professors thought it was their duty to teach critical thinking rather than to indoctrinate in anti-Americanism."

Columbia's president, Lee Bollinger, issued a statement that went beyond the Ivy League school's initially tepid comment that De Genova's views were not those of Columbia.

"I am shocked that someone would make such statements," Bollinger said. "Because of the university's tradition of academic freedom, I normally don't comment about statements made by faculty members. However, this one crosses the line and I really feel the need to say something. I am especially saddened for the families of those whose lives are at risk."

LeRoy Neiman, the renowned artist who donated $6 million to Columbia in the mid-1990s, is against the war in Iraq, but also thinks De Genova went too far.

"It's a free country. He can say what he want [but] I don't agree with that," Neiman told The Post.

Phyllis Mailman, whose family's foundation gave Columbia's public-health school $33 million in 1998, said she thought Bollinger "handled it very beautifully when he certainly disavowed, personally, for the university and for himself, all of the professor's comment, but upholds his right to make them."

Telis Demos, editor in chief of the Columbia Spectator, said De Genova's remarks, which the newspaper first reported, has generated a barrage of letters, "most of them pretty inflammatory . . . some of them even threatening."

"This is just huge," Demos said of the attention De Genova's anti-U.S. comments have received.

De Genova has made inflammatory statements in the past.

In April 2002, at a pro-Palestinian rally at Columbia, De Genova said: "The heritage of the victims of the Holocaust belongs to the Palestinian people. The state of Israel has no claim to the heritage of the Holocaust."

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2003, 05:15:07 PM »
Hey ammo,

That is a very nice Quote you have there in your signature line.  Any references available for that quote?  I would like to keep the quote with the reference.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2003, 06:35:10 PM »
john9001: Mogadishu, thats where a handfull of special forces killed about a thousand somollies.

For no apparent purpose.

miko

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2003, 06:54:06 PM »
Originally posted by miko2d
john9001: Mogadishu, thats where a handfull of special forces killed about a thousand somollies.

For no apparent purpose.

miko

not apparent to you, anyway.  Try informing yourself.  If you have trouble, ask.  Someone will gladly fill you in.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2003, 06:59:13 PM »
I think his point is that we left Somalia without accomplishing anything.  It was still pretty much the same ****ed-up mess as when we got there.

F.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2003, 07:19:03 PM »
Self-preservation is always a pretty good purpose.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2003, 07:46:46 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
Mogadishu, thats where a handfull of special forces killed about a thousand somollies.

:rolleyes:

Hey Dip****,

Those personnel that were there look on this in a much different view, one that involves the US (sanctioned by the "worthless UN") being there to provide security to the humanitarian aid that was attempting to be delivered to the starving people of Somalia.  Not only was this aid stolen on most occasions by a piece of crap warlord named Mohammed Aidid, this same warlord was fast approaching Hitler status as a genocidal madman.  Add to this a rediculous rules of engagement setup and lack of armor setup by the Clintonites, and we were guaranteed of having a  bloodbath.  Ohhh, and to top it off, Delta was not the only unit involved, the Rangers and 11th Mountain were there as well.  Ohh, and final established beath toll for the Somalis was over 5000 KIA.  5000 people that did not have to die, because the Clitonites would not sanction assaination of a murderer.  Well, justice did prevail, Aidid was mysteriously shot 3 weeks after we "left" country.  :D
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2003, 07:51:04 PM »
5000??? The best I ever heard was 1500, where did you ever get this figure?

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2003, 11:27:04 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
Aidid was mysteriously shot 3 weeks after we "left" country.  :D

whered you hear this? it was a couple of years later and he took a mortar fragment in the throat from rival warlords. took him like 4 hours to die, which is ultimate irony if only 1 red cross med facil left in area he would have had access to surgeon but his goons muscled all the red cross medical out of country. poetic justice.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2003, 11:51:09 PM »
From Time.com

August 12, 1996 Volume 148, No. 7

Aidid, 62, died as he had lived: on the battlefront. He succumbed to a heart attack Thursday, during or after surgery in Mogadishu to treat bullet wounds suffered in a July 24 firefight. The Voice of the Somali People, a radio station operated by his faction, said he had passed away "while performing his national duties." Thousands of weeping supporters filled the streets of the capital during funeral services on Friday.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2003, 05:41:49 AM »
thanks toad