Author Topic: "Columbia teacher calls for `a million Mogadishus'"  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
"Columbia teacher calls for `a million Mogadishus'"
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2003, 06:20:15 AM »
1500/3000/5000 (or whatever) for 18 US.

According to the scoreboard you wins the game.

Everything is a game, uh?

Or a TV show.

:(

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2003, 08:58:43 AM »
john9001: Mogadishu, thats where a handfull of special forces killed about a thousand somollies.

miko: For no apparent purpose.

Martlet: not apparent to you, anyway.  Try informing yourself.  If you have trouble, ask.  Someone will gladly fill you in.

I gladly accept your offer to enlighten me. Let me review the degree extent of my ignorance and misapprehension so that you know where to start.

We decided to go to Somali to arrest or kill a single person Mohamed Farrah Aidid who was apparently doing what hundreds of thousands of warlords do in third-world countries every day - engaged in low-intensity internecine warfare.

We failed in that prupose, lost some troops and equipment and killed a lot of peasants to improve our statistics.

Aidid was not affectied in the least by loosing a few hundred peasants since one thing such places have in abundance are pesants. In fact, I believe Aidid must have had real trpuble sending away all the volunteers willing to serve him after he defeated the mighty USA and threw it out of his country.

The situation in Somali is no worths and no betteer than if we had removed Aidid or if we never came there art all.

Besides a spectacular filming of the massive amphibious assault by US marines against a beach filled with reporters, what purpose was accomplished by killing those peasants?

miko

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2003, 10:51:02 PM »
Miko.

Those "peasants" you are referring to were combatants, not simple farming folks minding their own business in the market place. :rolleyes:

As to the mission on entering Somalia. Please note it was changed from humanitarian aid to a manhunt for a genocidal warlord. This individual was responsible for the deaths of countless real pesants as he took the food aid for HIS use and not his "nations" use.

As to the futility, you're right they are the same as they were before. Our troops were denied the tools they required to do the ammended mission and we lost 18 truly worthwhile people due to the decision of a worthless person who denied them the tools. We in all likelyhood would never have been able to make a real change for that sorry excuse of a country as they need to make the changes on their own. You cannot "save" those who do not want to be "saved" as they will actively fight you to keep you from "saving" them. This is a lesson that many good intentioned street cops learn after they have been on the streets a while.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2003, 10:52:24 PM »
Would lov e to put a foot up his arse.

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2003, 12:09:59 AM »
okay this is gonna look really bad in light of my poor knolwedge on how the bastard died but i have an excuse there was a bastard that died the way i thought i was thinking of the wrong bastard. miko i was there, American forces were part of UN contingent to provide security to humanitarian relief efforts because warlords and their gangs were appropriating vital human relief materials such as meds and keeping them for leverage power you name it. we were going after warlords because it much smarter to go after gang boss than to wait and  try to duke it out with underlings two or three at a time. i gather you spent some time dealing in unconventional warfare im sure you understand. maybe nothing good came of it but the logic behind the strategy was there id say.