Author Topic: I like russian people  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2003, 09:00:06 PM »
Hmmm... I think you missed the point. It was a logical counter to Grun's what if the allies deserted argument.

Both are silly.
sand

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
I like russian people
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2003, 09:14:18 PM »
Originally posted by miko2d
The more I think about your "no-police scenario", the more I like it!

miko

Me too, I'd box your bellybutton up and ship it back to Russia.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
I like russian people
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2003, 09:15:27 PM »
Originally posted by Martlet
Me too, I'd box your bellybutton up and ship it back to Russia.

LOL!

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2003, 09:20:59 PM »
Miko the fact that you think it would be more efficient if everyone was to buy their own personal army and minefields and electric fences and all that really makkes me question your understanding of markets and economics...

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
I like russian people
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2003, 10:25:54 PM »
GRUNHERZ: But, the question I was posing to you was how would "good" people react to those who commit crimes against them if there was no police?

OK, maybe I misunderstood. Obviously they would come up with some equivalent or different ways to combat crime that are compatible with their culture - morality, traditions, etc.
 Not necessarily all those measures would be reactive to crime.

GRUNHERZ: Miko the fact that you think it would be more efficient if everyone was to buy their own personal army and minefields and electric fences and all that really makes me question your understanding of markets and economics...

Grun, the fact that you cannot recognise an answer to a specific question you've posted yourself makes me question if you take your own arguments seriously.

Here is your quote "drove into your nice neighborhood, broke into your home, killed your family, and stole some money".

I did not answer about "everyone". Neither did you ask about that "everyone" in your original scenario.

So yes, for people like me who live in nice neighbourhoods, own houses with piles of money in them - and quite a lot of understanding of markets and economics - it would be more efficient to buy our own personal army - and/or form a self protection group. Same is true for quite a lot of less affluent people who get the benefit of more efficiency inherent to private company closely watched by owners and customers and operating in a competitive environment - compared to a government bureaucracy. Some would be losers, of course. So?

NUKE: Martlet: Me too, I'd box your bellybutton up and ship it back to Russia.

:) Who would pay for your welfare?

miko

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2003, 10:59:59 PM »
Miko Miko Miko, tell me will all these walled off fiefdoms with private armies and minefields help the economy and trade?

What about the lawless areas in between these fortified areas, will all cargo be transported in armed convoys protected by APCs?

If everyone must maintain their own security forces, how many more able working age people will be drawn off from other possibly  more productive or faster growing sectors of the economy?

Its just such a bad idea...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2003, 11:03:48 PM by GRUNHERZ »

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
I like russian people
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2003, 11:51:58 PM »
Russians are OK if you remember how to handle them..

They're quite much like gypsies.. they'll steal everything that's not anchored to the wall with a steel chain.

I know places where people leave thier worn out old tyres on a visible place on purpose.. In stead of having to carry them to the dumpster and pay the trash fee's, leaving them on the open enables russians to steal them and carry the **** to russia.

The tyres never last longer than a week in place. :)

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
I like russian people
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2003, 12:01:31 AM »
as long as they're not commies, I don't mind them.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
I like russian people
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2003, 01:28:04 AM »
Originally posted by blitz
Were 10 thousands of them, most get caught and hanged.

And Germany still has no memorial for them ! Shame! :(
Regards Blitz

Germany doesnt have any memorial over all their rapists, pedophiles and murderers either...imagine that huh.

Maybe that is because deserters, pedophiles, rapists and whathaveyou are the scum of the earth and no one really wants them to have any monuments except for some f*cked up pacifist idiots.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2003, 01:31:25 AM by Hortlund »

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
I like russian people
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2003, 01:56:13 AM »
Okay, I've been around the world  a bit.  Not as much as some, no doubt, but a bit.
The United States is the only country I've seen where a significant portion of the citizens genuinely identify itself with the government's policy.
For me, what being american means is trying to explain this to foreigners.  Heck, this is an equivocal notion.  On the one hand, this means that in the US, government bureaucracies, whether we're talking the US Military or social services, actually work.  On the other hand, we've got a self-sustaining two-party system that takes advantage of this. (Insert your republican or democratic-party rhetoric here, as interpreted by the other party).  The good side is that as a people, we truly believe in what we do; the bad side is that as a country, there are always people eager to take advantage of our nai:vete'.
The ethical solution to this is ugly: either, as a people, we follow the route of those countries that have endured a dictatorship and dissociate ourselves from the country, and thus lose our authority and participation in the government (as has happened in most totalitarian regimes), or we exercise our second-amendment rights and kinetically question the system of government our forefathers have shed blood for (which few have the testes to do), or we shut up and toe the line (as they do in Iraq), or we buy into the rhetoric (which we'd really like to do).
As a choice, it really sucks.

Offline blitz

• Silver Member
I like russian people
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2003, 02:21:43 AM »
blitz
Were 10 thousands of them, most get caught and hanged.

And Germany still has no memorial for them ! Shame!  
Regards Blitz

Originally posted by Hortlund
Germany doesnt have any memorial over all their rapists, pedophiles and murderers either...imagine that huh.

Maybe that is because deserters, pedophiles, rapists and whathaveyou are the scum of the earth and no one really wants them to have any monuments except for some f*cked up pacifist idiots.

Why do you think it is bad that young german men decided that they don't support an horrible system any longer?

Saved many lives of allied soldiers.

Regards Blitz

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
I like russian people
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2003, 02:41:01 AM »
Originally posted by blitz

Why do you think it is bad that young german men decided that they don't support an horrible system any longer?

Saved many lives of allied soldiers.

Ok, excuse my crappy german, but I think this quote sums it up rather nicely.
Der feind liebt den verrat aber verrachtet den verräder.

A deserter is a deserter, no matter what side he is deserting.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2003, 07:23:02 AM »
I know people from almost all parts of the world including russia and they are all nice people.

You can't decide where you are born only how you behave.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
I like russian people
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2003, 09:11:39 AM »
I like you Hortland... but not in a Dowding sort of way.  :D

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
I like russian people
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2003, 12:48:27 PM »
GRUNHERZ: If everyone must maintain their own security forces, how many more able working age people will be drawn off from other possibly  more productive or faster growing sectors of the economy?

Except for some regulative nuances, why do you think it would be much different from the current police that is organised by municipalities? In fact, what will prevent the municipalities in a free society from keeping the same arrangement of police - having them as public servants rather than contractors while others use contractors instead of public servants?

Its just such a bad idea...

If your idea - of police regulated from the highest level possible - state, federal, UN/world government, maybe? - is so great, how come you demand such unanimity in accepting it? Certainly it would prove its worth in honest competition? Only if you do not believe it's any good and nobody would go for it if they had the choice, would you demand legal protection to state monopoly on security.

Just like with school vouchers - if people were given a choice, they would abandon government schools, so they must not be allowed to choose.

It's all the same - if some service can be provided in a competitive free-market environment, is there any reason for the government providing it - or preventing others from providing it alongside the government?

miko