Author Topic: How much more proof do we need that Iraq was a "Just War"?  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
How much more proof do we need that Iraq was a "Just War"?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2003, 12:03:13 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Yeah, thats why the war was called "Operation Iraqi Freedom"

They were going to call it "Operation Iraqi Liberation" but then they realized the acronym spells OIL.

Offline Tsingis

• Copper Member
      • http://www.kanttorinkone.com/llv32/
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2003, 01:15:39 PM »
Hilarious Bush vs Bush debate ->
(requires Realplayer)
rtsp://st21g1.services.att-idns.net/v1/494/1742/2597/dailyshow/stewart/jon_7131_300.rm
Tsingis of Lentolaivue 32

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2003, 01:26:43 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Get off your high horses.

As bad as Saddam was, there are far, far worse "governments" to live under in other places on this world and I don't see any outpouring of sympathy or demands that we fix those places.

You rightists are only gungho about having stopped this one barbarian because your leaders have endorsed it.  Everytime a member of the opposition suggests doing something because it would be a "Just War" you guys all scream and cry like babies.

Don't make me laugh.

Just War.

:rolleyes:

Ah, but Saddam had the bad taste to commit atrocities right over the oil we want, right in the area of the world Dubya wants to control. Bad on him. If any of the other baddies wasting their own populations had the oil under them we'd be self-righteously doing them too.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2003, 01:43:08 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Uhhh, change history? Want me to start posting links to the pre-war press releases of this administration calling Saddams government a "Brutal Regime that has committed unspeakable acts against its own people" ??  

Quit smoking dope, its giving you short term memory loss.

Like I said, yes, WMD *was* a priority.  Also a priority was the freedom of the Iraqi people from a brutal dictator.  This is yet more proof of it. Learn to deal with the truth.

Reagan, Powell, Cheney and Rumsfeld all knew that Saddam was a brutal dictator back in the early '80's but Reagan still took Saddam off the known terrorist list. Saddam was not only given a pass for his genocide of the Kurds by that then US admin, Reagan went a step further and squashed Galbraith's emergency bill to sanction Iraq for that said Kurdish genocide in '88.  

The sanctions were defeated in the house because it was deemed not good for American export business interests, sound familiar?

What did Reagan, Powell and Cheney give to this brutal dictator of course he was given billions in credit guarantees, military intelligence and more capable biological and chemical WMD and a hundred helicopters, all around more commerical and military trade. That would tend to looks more like an endorsement for such behaviour and it's no wonder that the Gulf War Veterans Association is asking for Rumsfeld to resign over the whole affair.

So it would seem that brutal regime are tolerated and supported as long as it's good for the bottom line.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2003, 01:45:31 PM »
Originally posted by Montezuma
They were going to call it "Operation Iraqi Liberation" but then they realized the acronym spells OIL.

LMAO!!!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2003, 01:46:39 PM »
Torque, I ignore you since you're Canadian, and the liberal brainwashing has been going on in Canada long before you were born, therefore, you're a lost cause for any debate since any fact would be construed as a hoax by the CIA. ;)

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2003, 02:31:24 PM »
Originally posted by Torque
Reagan, Powell, Cheney and Rumsfeld all knew that Saddam was a brutal dictator back in the early '80's but Reagan still took Saddam off the known terrorist list. Saddam was not only given a pass for his genocide of the Kurds by that then US admin, Reagan went a step further and squashed Galbraith's emergency bill to sanction Iraq for that said Kurdish genocide in '88.  

The sanctions were defeated in the house because it was deemed not good for American export business interests, sound familiar?

What did Reagan, Powell and Cheney give to this brutal dictator of course he was given billions in credit guarantees, military intelligence and more capable biological and chemical WMD and a hundred helicopters, all around more commerical and military trade. That would tend to looks more like an endorsement for such behaviour and it's no wonder that the Gulf War Veterans Association is asking for Rumsfeld to resign over the whole affair.

So it would seem that brutal regime are tolerated and supported as long as it's good for the bottom line.

When Canada decides to pony up and do something without the help of the US, then come cry.  At least we went in there and removed him.  You morons haven't done squat since the Reagan Admin.  If they were supporting an evil dictator, why wasn't Canada stepping in?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2003, 03:55:24 PM »

Thats a trick question, any "proof" will be a lie planted by the CIA, PNAC or Dick Cheney himself...

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2003, 04:09:18 PM »
Let me just summarize. The only arguments you could provide to counter what Torque posted basically revolved around:

"But you're Canadian, so... err... shut up."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2003, 04:11:25 PM by Dowding »
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
Nope Dowd
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2003, 04:45:13 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding
Let me just summarize. The only arguments you could provide to counter what Torque posted basically revolved around:

"But you're Canadian, so... err... shut up."

You got it wrong.

It's more like

"Well, you're a Chretian Canuckian so STFU!

See, we here in Amurica remembers all to painfully what it's like having a pantywaist as our leader and sympathize with Canadians.

Dowd you're at least form a country that has guts enough to step up.  That's why we tolerate your senseless diatribes because we know that you are not representative of your country too.  We also like to hear from Canadians because we know that Chretian's sorry excuse for a backbone is not indicative of that great nation and its people.  But Chretian Canuckians that post here get what they deserve!  Generalized disgust and putrification.  

:D :D

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2003, 04:48:13 PM »
My senseless diatribes? From a man who can't resist using the "!" at every opportunity? So it sounds like you're saying something outrageous everytime! Like you're angry! Like you're excited by what you are writing!

Very good. :D
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2003, 04:56:38 PM »
My senseless diatribes? From a man who can't resist using the "!" at every opportunity? So it sounds like you're saying something outrageous everytime! Like you're angry! Like you're excited by what you are writing!

Very good. :D

LOL.

Far be it from a mere Amurican to explain to an honorable English gentlemen the finer points of written punctuation in the English language.  But, I count two ! in the last post and submit that they are appropriate.

As for being excited by what I write, No, it ain't exciting to shoot fish in a barrel.  It's just a damn dirty job but somebody has to do it!  (oops, I used one of those offensive !) hehehe

Do you want to stick your tongue out at me now and say,
Am not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :) :D ;)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2003, 05:05:01 PM »
You're an exclamation mark maniac.

Do you want to stick your tongue out at me now and say,
Am not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I leave that sort of thing to greying old geezers twice my age.

BTW, I count at least 20 in your last post. :D

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
Ah...
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2003, 05:10:46 PM »
You're an exclamation mark maniac.

No, I leave that sort of thing to greying old geezers twice my age.

BTW, I count at least 20 in your last post. :D

You are highly entertaining Dowd.  That's a good thing.  And you must have much better eyesight than I do, being half my age and all.  Elsewise you couldn't count that many exclamation points.  

BTW, why aren't you in the  mIlitary, being so young and obivously virile?  Then, your posts might have some credibility.

*See, I didn't use any !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

:cool: :eek:

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2003, 05:21:10 PM »
Because the RAF don't accept epileptics. Sad but true. Grrrrr. Maybe I wouldn't have got in, but I would have liked a shot at it - it's what I had always wanted to do and was why I worked hard to get to university. They referred me to the officer selection centre at RAF Cranwell after passing the initial interviews, but the MO down there said I would have to wait 5 years and be seizure-free without medication before they could accept my application. 6 months later I had my third fit in three years and I'm now taking drugs to control it. I'll never get in now.

Apparently, after talking to a couple of officers a few months later, they said I should have kept it quiet. Once in the service they have different arrangements, considering that I was not going for aircrew.

Life goes on and things could be much worse. I haven't had a fit in two years since starting the medication and I got my driving license back. :) I don't let it get in the way of my life.

BTW, I guessed at 20. My eyesight is rubbish. :)