Author Topic: Why is it personal with you?  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Why is it personal with you?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2000, 07:29:00 AM »

Originally posted by Dowding:
<snip> ...and have a life when they switch their computer off.

...if that includes a good PUB, I'm in  !

Saw

Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline SageFIN

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2000, 09:04:00 AM »

Originally posted by funked:

I'm also wondering if a lot of people are stereotype computer nerds or members of the Nintendo (Nofriendo) generation who didn't play sports in their youth and never learned sportsmanship and how to win (and lose) with dignity.  A rebuke from a coach or a right cross from an opponent teaches these lessons pretty quickly.

How does playing sports teach one sportsmanship? Playing sports has never done anything else to me except keep me fit and it surely didn't help the fellows with attitude problems. Except perhaps made them even worse. That's from personal experience but perhaps it's different in where you live.

What I've come to think is that some people are just born the way they are and will be. Some are always humane and such, others are malicious and they'll always remain that way. I do hope it's not so.

------------------
---
SageFIN

"I think IŽll believe in Gosh instead of God.  If you donŽt
 believe in Gosh too, youŽll be darned to heck."
---

-lazs-

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2000, 09:57:00 AM »
Nope... I'm just as big a jerk in person.   I talk exactly the same as I write.   I am not of the nintendo generation and didn't grow up with email.   I choose my insults carefully.  I still haven't figured out that I am not speaking to people when I write on this or any other board.  

Having said that....I think maybe that it takes a lot longer for a persons sense of humor to come through in print than in person.   Of course, some people are devoid of a sense of humor.

As for sports... I think sage is correct.  I played non team sports like boxing, wrestling, tennis and Auto racing and I was, for the most part,  both a poor loser and a poor winner.
lazs

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2000, 10:19:00 AM »
I'm also wondering if a lot of people are stereotype computer nerds or members of the Nintendo (Nofriendo) generation who didn't play sports in their youth and never learned sportsmanship and how to win (and lose) with dignity

Thx Funk my orange juice was nostril projectile after that NOFRIENDO bit

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2000, 10:21:00 AM »
LOL Sage!!! Born the way they are lolol

Blame yer parents, blame society, blame the way people are brought up, cuz it sure isn't a case of "born that way"

A friend of the family has 1 child, a son.  That poor kid.. his dad was always an athlete, that kid HAS to win, if he fails, he has some explaining to do.  He just wants to be a kid, but his father won't let him...

I worry what that kid will be like when he hits 25yrs of age..  With any luck in the NHL, where he can live out his childhood which he isn't getting to enjoy now.

My thots

AKSKurj

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2000, 12:30:00 PM »

Originally posted by -duma-:
That was very nearly a haiku, eskimo  

ROFL

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2000, 02:48:00 PM »
The last time I was in Belgium, Saw, I was too young to drink.  

But I sure like Stella Artois.  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

funked

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2000, 03:39:00 PM »
I meant team sports.

MrSiD

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2000, 04:54:00 PM »
Beer

Offline SageFIN

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2000, 06:22:00 PM »

Originally posted by SKurj:
LOL Sage!!! Born the way they are lolol

Blame yer parents, blame society, blame the way people are brought up, cuz it sure isn't a case of "born that way"

Well, what we are is part due to our genetic heritage and the environment in which we live. To which extent, who can tell. But surely you will not exclude those things altogether? I do believe in the power of self discipline and such as I practice them on myself but please do remember that we are all just flesh, bones, tissue etc. Our feelings and imagination, it's all in the brain and such are tied to the material world, which has it's limits. (As in if you suffer severe brain damage, your whole personality might totally change)

Originally posted by SKurj:
A friend of the family has 1 child, a son.  That poor kid.. his dad was always an athlete, that kid HAS to win, if he fails, he has some explaining to do.  He just wants to be a kid, but his father won't let him...

I worry what that kid will be like when he hits 25yrs of age..  With any luck in the NHL, where he can live out his childhood which he isn't getting to enjoy now.

That is very sad, and more so because I have such cases among the people I know, too. It's not only sports, however, some children are made sit before a piano and play until they just can't anymore because their parents want them to be professional musicians. And this only one example.

------------------
---
SageFIN

"I think IŽll believe in Gosh instead of God.  If you donŽt
 believe in Gosh too, youŽll be darned to heck."
---

Offline Suave1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2000, 08:40:00 PM »
Yes it's true AH is full of jerks . Just go into the TA and see how many ask permission before they shoot at you .

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2000, 02:42:00 AM »
Ya'll a bunch of weenie turds anyways.

Anyone who takes #1 seriously (or this BBS) for that matter needs a couple of 1000lb enemas. I reserve the right to act like an stunninghunk, to abuse you all, and to make a general salamander of myself!!!

Why? Cos you can't do it to the computer-drones on Falcon 4! Cos you can't do it to people on the street! And most of you beyatches are thousands of miles away from me and can't do sheeeet about it  

People who get wound up about the chat both in the sim and in here need to relax, kick back, and probably get a shag real quick.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2000, 03:04:00 AM »
what vulcan said, but he has the benefit of thousands of wooly mammals all over for the latter  

[This message has been edited by Zigrat (edited 12-10-2000).]

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2000, 08:03:00 AM »
It's all a matter of choice. Most of us choose to be decent folks, enjoying each other's company online, while others choose to be the self-obsessed jerks they will probably always be.

Btw, I'm always amazed at how hearing someone's voice on RW makes them much more human. Many people whom I thought were suedo-jerks sounded much more likeable when you talk to them on RW.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2000, 08:51:00 AM »
Btw, I'm always amazed at how hearing someone's voice on RW makes them much more human. Many people whom I thought were suedo-jerks sounded much more likeable when you talk to them on RW.

Ya that's so true.