Author Topic: Stupid Parenting Award  (Read 700 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Stupid Parenting Award
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 09:35:10 AM »
What's 8th grade mean? 12 years old?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Stupid Parenting Award
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 09:38:29 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding

13 yrs. old for me. I graduated when I was 17.  So yeah, roughly that age. 13-14.

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
YOu must be british!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 09:49:04 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding

LOL Dowd!  That;s actually a good question.  8th grade one would think would be the 8th year in school.  Usually it's not, if you count kindergarten (usually age 5) which precedes 1st grade iin most American elementary schools.  And, that's not all.  A lot of American's now send their children to "pre-school", sometimes associated with an elementary school and sometimes not.

So, 8th grade can be the 9th or even 10th year of school.

More bizarre facts about American schools.

In the older post WWII times, elementary school was K-8.  High School was 9-10.  But, in hgih school, they don't use the numbers.  It's freshman, sophmore, junior and senior, in my experience.  Then, there was a move toward junior high shcools which was 7, 8 and 9th grades, leaving only k-6 in elementary schools and only three years in highschool.  Then, when it was discovered that it was not a good idea to have 15-16 year olds in a school with non-driving kids, there was another move to "middle schools" which put 6, 7 and 8 graders together, which would then feed into four year highschools, leaving elmentary schools K - 5th grade.

And this of course is not an all inclusive listing of american school organization.

Sheesh!  It's embarassing!:o

Oh an obviosuly we need to do a better job of typing/spelling instruction.

Okay, got that Dowd, ole' bean!

:D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 09:52:04 AM by Syzygyone »

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Stupid Parenting Award
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 10:14:52 AM »
I really don't see the problem here.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
Stupid Parenting Award
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 10:38:13 AM »
Originally posted by Raubvogel
I really don't see the problem here.

that's because you never went to school :D

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Stupid Parenting Award
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 11:08:58 AM »
Americans think children shouldn't drink. We're odd that way . In america beer and whine is percieved more as a party drug than as food.  That's probably why americans are such bad drunks when we become adults .

I remember in highschool german class we watched a movie about german highschool students. In the movie they were drinking beer while doing homework .

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Stupid Parenting Award
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 11:14:21 AM »
Link is dead.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Stupid Parenting Award
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 01:10:45 PM »
8th graders (as in grade 8) are anywhere from 12-14 years old...and if it was american beer there should be no problem...

ive been drinking whiskey since i was 13...im not even close to a alchoholic...

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Stupid Parenting Award
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2003, 02:27:29 PM »
the link is dead.  but if she was giving it to her own kid and nobody else’s I don't see the problem.

I think the whole idea of no drinking until your 21st birthday is idiotic.  kids should start drinking while they are under the supervision and control of their parents.  I've been allowed to drink since I was a kid (only when parents where present on our own property or at a family party at an aunts or uncles house).

when my friends turned 18 they all drove to Kansas to drink (Missouri age 21 Kansas 18).  they'd drive 30-40 miles to drink then drive back, drunk.  they  where completely unsupervised and away from home.  they'd have been much better off drinking at home but their parents where too concerned with being 'good parents' to allow that.

I never went through the binge drinking and dui's like most of the kids who chose to drink but whose parents didn't allow it.

another added benefit was that since we where allowed to drink and be around drinkers from an early age we saw all types of drinkers.  including those who make an bellybutton of themselves and don't know how to regulate their drinking or know when to say when.  it inspires you not to be one of those

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Stupid Parenting Award
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2003, 07:58:38 PM »
americans are terrible drinkers because of the taboo the wacko nut cases put on beer. kids wouldnt go binge drink themselves to death if it wasnt for the puritan wack jobs in this country telling everyone its so evil.

there is nothing wrong with anyone having some whine or beer with their meal if their parents think its alright.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Stupid Parenting Award
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2003, 01:03:27 AM »
Personally I don't think having a couple of drinks is a bad thing. What I thought was the DA (Dumb Arse) award here was renting a hotel room and buying the beer for the kids. I remember going to family friends homes with my parents around that age and having a few ice cold beers or even a couple of drinks of scotch.

BUT that stupid lady should have known better than to have it in an area which would be like that.

At least my Dad would bring home a GP Medium tent and cots if I wanted to have a nice big party. If you got to drunk to drive home he would either drive you home or force you to stay on a cot in the tent and he would contact your parents. Then you had to call them first thing in the morning. Funny how things are much more civilized when the parents know and how much more fun they can be.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Stupid Parenting Award
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2003, 03:19:24 AM »
we almost had to drink as kids.  my dad and his budies would pack for a fishing trip. 3 men and me and the little brother.  when the day starts getting hot you'd pop open the cooler to find a case and a half of beer and 2 pepsi's

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Stupid Parenting Award
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2003, 09:02:55 AM »
there's a difference between giving your kid and friends a beer or 2 and going through 3 cases and a case of bacardi silver.   That's 96 beers/malt beverages between a mom and 6 12-14 year old kids.  Maybe the article was misleading and not all of the individual drinks were consumed.  If it's accurate, then the mom took the kids on a binge drinking session.  That's not good even if it wasn't against the law here.

$75,000 posted for bail.  Wow, she's got resources (or took out a bail bond.)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Stupid Parenting Award
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2003, 09:33:53 AM »
What article ?