Author Topic: can we have BoB scenario  (Read 3540 times)

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
can we have BoB scenario
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2003, 09:26:49 AM »
We use what we have access to.

Just as in Guad - we had to substitute some planes for others. some sides come out ahead in the change - other sides may not.

In the LONG run it is how well the DESIGN Incorporates the subs ( Good skins can hide a lot of uglyness ! ) and how the PLAYERS get along with the substitutions.

In Guad  even with the substitutions and not 100% accurate plane sets most pilots had fun and the precieved differences some may have had were not as BAD as was anticipated.

No Scenario is going to appeal to 100% of the scenario pilots - but it seems ALL Scenario appeal to a lot of pilots.

Mike Bowman
AH CM Scenario Staff
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
can we have BoB scenario
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2003, 10:28:38 AM »
Kadesh did not happen during WW2 but afterward. It basically was a conflict over the Suez Canal.

A new terrain is in progress for it that covers Egypt, Israel, eastern Med to some extent, etc.

We have also looked at other ideas such as the Soccer War in central america where P51s and F4Us face off versus each other in a conflict between Honduras and Guatemala in the 1960s. Back burner idea since we have to work on central america terrain (in progress but others ahead of it).

Also there was the Israeli Arab conflict that used Spits on Egypt/Arab side and 109s on the Israeli side.

As for substitution .. well even in the WW2 scenarios hate to say it but have to do since we don't have complete plane sets for all the parties involved. Russia is lacking many planes, Italy, Japan, then early war entries of france, Poland, etc., etc.

We have to make do with what we have in many cases. And basically seek what can be done to create an event that players will be interested with what we have .. making close substitutions when possible.

To let you know there is player interest in this so far since its a player designed event (not a CM one) where the player approached us with the idea, the write up, even a working terrain, and asked us to consider it to be run. So we are working in partnership with him on it.

If your not that is fine but if we had to get 100% of everyone interested in an event then we would never have any. You just don't play in the ones that you are not interested in. Personally, I was not interested in Niemen. Nothing wrong with it .. just did not hold an interest for me. The people who played in it thought it was good by all accounts.

There is significant interest in it, it was submitted to be run, and the player is working through the process of how to setup the event, etc., etc. with the CM staff.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 10:58:56 AM by ghostdancer »
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
can we have BoB scenario
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2003, 05:00:50 AM »
Originally posted by Tilt

Currently in pre planning

Allocated May 2004 ( we are considering sponsoring a player designed eastern front scenario which has been submitted)

Update  Battle for Kurland (Courland) now in planning for May 2004 (Sponsored player design by Batz and Brady)
Ludere Vincere

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
A suggestion...
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2003, 01:39:19 PM »
I love the idea of running BoB, and would like to see another in the future, when time permits.

How about the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot?

15 CVs.  Hundreds of Japanese planes.  Radar cotrolled intercepts.  I get goose bumps.

shubie

Offline Gremlin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.webtreatz.com/tod/lognew.html
Re: A suggestion...
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2003, 08:01:16 AM »
Originally posted by rshubert
How about the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot?

I think we might have a problem recruiting IJN turkeys for that one:D

Offline Esme

• Copper Member
can we have BoB scenario
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2003, 04:01:15 PM »
Originally posted by Swoop
He111s, Do17s and Otto gunners are unfortunety not possible and probably won't be until some time after AH2 is released.  

The rest is though :D.

You wouldn't be cruel enough to lead me on with false promises, would you Swoop? :-)

Anyway - let's drink to the next BoB game! :-)

! Esme (sipping Scotch)

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
can we have BoB scenario
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2003, 04:53:40 PM »
I think the design of the last BoB was excellent. Us lw ran into some difficulty with the new bombsite which was just a few weeks old at the time.

With the new stuka (I know its a d3; but could fill in as a b2) we could start in phase 1 (July 10th - Aug 7th, Channel Convoy Raids).

It would be great to get a do 17 and he111. Atleast fix the ju88 fuel consumption bug.

As it stands right now it appears a new terrain editor or atleast an updated version will be coming at some point with ah2 and as reported in pyros simhq interview there will be new terrain features. Most of this sounds like it would be good for the ground war. I doudt much could change for a BoB terrain.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
can we have BoB scenario
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2003, 08:31:28 PM »
so, lets forget Kadesh and play BoB

i still have in ears ground controler voice with english accent
/Seeker it was you? 12 group? SW of England/

i hope we can have he111 not this panzer ju88

ramzey

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
can we have BoB scenario
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2003, 09:19:42 PM »
The He 111 was reportedly "tougher" then the ju88. Especially to 303s.

Ramzey could you email me?

batz@fw-190.com

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
can we have BoB scenario
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2003, 02:02:39 AM »
But much slower, ju88 give time for one pass, and after that u must try to catch him from 6 clk. All the time flying in lazer beam;)

Do-17 would be nice too:)

/mail send/

ramzey

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
can we have BoB scenario
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2003, 02:14:36 AM »
Originally posted by Esme
You wouldn't be cruel enough to lead me on with false promises, would you Swoop? :-)

Anyway - let's drink to the next BoB game! :-)

! Esme (sipping Scotch)

Of course not!  :D

Ju87s we now have, we also have control of fuel burn settings so Ju88 range can be controlled carefully, longer frames are of course doable, terrain updates are doable (the terrain team just needs time and a list of changes needed).

The only things we cant do is supply an He111, a Do17 and create otto gunners.  We need HT to do that and he's working on AH2 so it's highly unlikely we'll get any new aircraft to play with until AH2 is out and stable.  I assume otto gunners are coming with AH2 though since the TOD arena will have AI bombers.

Now on to more important subjects:  What kinda scotch are you drinking?

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
can we have BoB scenario
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2003, 06:39:04 AM »
Three quick things after reading this thread so far.

[list=1]
  • Fuel burn rate affects all aircraft so adjusting it to control the range of the JU88 will affect all aircraft. Spits, Hurri and 109s will also be affecting. Fuel burn rate can not currently be seperately set for individual aircraft.
  • Ramzey, please be little more respectful in your posts. I am talking about "so, lets forget Kadesh and play BoB."

It is absolutely fine that you are not interested in Kadesh. However, others have expressed interest in it which is why it has been put in the schedule. In addition to this, it is not a CM event but is a non-CM event proposed by a group of players who have created the terrain, are creating rules, etc.  The CMs are setting up the terrain and offering advice for the event but its their baby.

As I said we know you are not interested in it. Simply don't fly in it. Your statements can be viewed as disrespectful by the player group working on this event. Especially considering you know very little about the event at this date, except the general setting, the time frame, and that it will involve jets.

Your statement can be read as to mean scrap Kadesh and do BoB instead.

• As for the interest in BoB interest in it has been noted. Its now in the CM teams lap. Right now they have 2 events they are running 1) Okinawa  2) The Ruhr and then we have two non CM designed and run events  3) Kadesh and 4) Kurland and we have 5th being discussed at the moment. So if BoB is to run it either needs a player group to come forward and ask to sponsor it (design it, etc., etc.) or it probably won't happen from the CM team until sometime in 2004.
CM Terrain Team

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
can we have BoB scenario
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2003, 10:02:12 AM »
@Ghostdancer, im sorry i forget add smiles at end ";) "

no im not interested to play Kadesh. Dunno what postwar event doing in AH, but thats diferent story. As player i have right to complain about that. If i create moon terrain, and design 4 frames  of event betwen empire and rebel can we play star wars?
With me163 as X- wing and262 as tie fighter?
I understand snapshot in this design and have nothing against to run this as snapshot. But  i not see place for this design as full scenario for one month. Its not importand is designed by players or CM's. Cm's credit this, so its official HTC event

Wage pls whichone of events will have more players BoB or any other. BoB is a classic

ramzey

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
can we have BoB scenario
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2003, 10:34:12 AM »
Ramzey,

So you are saying its not important if its a CM designed event, where the CMs design it, create the rules, split up the players, do the arena setup, judge and score it or whether a player(s) designed event, where the player(s) design it, create the rules, split up the players, and just have the CMs do the arena setup, and then the player(s) judge and score it.

In your view this does not matter both are official HTC events which the CM team is responsible for.

Plus, your saying that the CM team should review any proposals (CM or player), review it and determine its appropriate or not for a multi-frame event.

This is what I believe you just stated in your previous message.
CM Terrain Team

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
can we have BoB scenario
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2003, 11:22:03 AM »
Thank you ghostdancer for the replay,

The point of building Kadesh event is to go out from well known WWII going to unknown and very interesting zone.
It is ok for you ramzey not to be interested in 1956 event just like me not interested of fly Spit 1 (I really not like the flying such early planes).
With me163 as X- wing and262 as tie fighter?

That is not execlty right. In kadesh war at both sides (yes it really was) flew Gloster Meteor. As you know it is quite colose to 262 in this game in its perfomances. It is the same like to fly Ju88 instead of Do17 that was the main bomber in BOB.
I think making different events form different periods is quite interesting - making a less known events might interest a lot of players.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel