Author Topic: Here's a cool video detailing what goes into building a game's flight model.  (Read 1170 times)

Offline ZeroAce

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Thanks hardcase.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Wonder when they'll take these ideas and put a flight model into ww2ol then?

Offline ZeroAce

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Funny you should mention the WW2OL flight model.

It just got a HUGE upgrade in the 1.9 patch. Everything from a complete overhaul of the flight model fidelity, to adding in all the little details like canopies getting jammed at high speeds.

Combined with the introduction of strategic research and production facilities to bomb, it is probably the single most dramatic patch ever implemented for the air war.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Common scientific thought is increasing the fidelity of crap results in ... crap. Jammed canopies, my what a big leap that is. You still can't bail out of aircraft so whats the point of jamming canopies which are useless eye candy when the games in need of any sort of half decent flight model (and damage model for the aircraft for that matter)?

Nice try but no cigar Monica.

Offline ZeroAce

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
I see you haven't let your lack of knowledge about WW2OL stop you from making up stuff to criticize about it.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Originally posted by ZeroAce
It just got a HUGE upgrade in the 1.9 patch. Everything from a complete overhaul of the flight model fidelity, to adding in all the little details like canopies getting jammed at high speeds.

Um... In that video he talks of keeping everything as consistent as possible...  I think a "complete overhaul" qualifies as anything BUT consistent.  

And ditto to Vulcan.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
I see you haven't let your lack of knowledge about WW2OL stop you from making up stuff to criticize about it.

Given I'm a paying subscriber and I've been playing it regularly for the last 3 months (and on and off before then) you may want to reconsider this statement.

My handle in WW2OL is vulkan.

How much AH playing you got in lately? Are you a subscriber? If not what are you doing on this BBS?

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Funny you should mention the WW2OL flight model.

Combined with the introduction of strategic research and production facilities to bomb, it is probably the single most dramatic patch ever implemented for the air war.

Poor Vulcan this cheerleader was just waiting for the chance......

Offline ZeroAce

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Um... In that video he talks of keeping everything as consistent as possible... I think a "complete overhaul" qualifies as anything BUT consistent.

Yep, we already pointed that out to them.

Their response was that it  HAS been consistant for 2 years... But with technology and performance increases it has allowed them to go for higher fidelity.

They say this overhaul will likely stay consistant for another 2 years.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Their response was that it  HAS been consistant for 2 years... But with technology and performance increases it has allowed them to go for higher fidelity.

They say this overhaul will likely stay consistant for another 2 years.

That's funny considering that the original FM could have been ripped from the old LucasArts game "Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain" for all of its "fidelity".

The old FM was never current.

I will reserve comment on the new FM until after I've played with it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Karnak, don't disrespect Their Finest Hour like that.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
based no doubt on secret documents that doomie got from former LW pilots now living in argentina.
lazs

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
My Cod!

I wonder if any mention of WWIIOL would elicit a response from ZeroA? Must have an alarm on his desktop. He is more reliable than Beetle or even SOB!

:cool:

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Yeah, it is a good thing AH is so perfect that it can't be improved.  Oh wait, they are changing the FM in AH, drastically.  Will it be right then, or was it right before the LAST major upgrade?

(Not knocking AH, you understand, but in light of Pyros post in the AHII forum, your AH fanbois comments in this thread are pretty funny)