Author Topic: GV & Buff Guns  (Read 530 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
GV & Buff Guns
« on: July 03, 2003, 12:41:56 PM »
I never seem to have a problem getting knocked off by an Osti or Pnzr shooting D1.5k out. Same goes when I'm manning guns in a B-17 or Lancaster... in rolls a 190 or 109 and I'm toast before the NME is D1.0K.

Now put the shoe on the other foot and everything's just the opposite. Osti, Panzr & field guns can't shoot down the Goodyear blimp at 500 yds...Buff guns are pinging me well before my guns are in range. Granted...part of it may be due to lag...but all the time?

Does it make any difference what convergence buff and gv guns are set at? If so, what should they be? I've heard that when in an Osti you need to lead a  lot...how much is a lot?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Happy 4th!
DmdMax

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
GV & Buff Guns
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 01:15:11 PM »
Ok, where to start, well, let's cover the bomber gun thing:

Bomber guns are effective out to about D1.4, so open up early with at least short bursts.  that makes the enemy avoid and makes it more difficult for him to line up (as he has to stop avoiding in order to do so).  Set your convergence in the hanger out to D650 (max).  Be very good at switching gun positions too... lots of the best anti-bomber guys will take advantage of the limited traverse rate of guns or the lack of knowledge of the different positions.  They'll make a fake attack, then dance around you to get you confused as to which position you should be in, only to then slip right inbehind and blast you while you are still fumbling around trying to get into a gun to shoot back.  Remember you can jump to F3 view in bombers too, it allows you to see around better.  You can do it from a turret also, so you can both see better, and swivel the turret to look around.

Now, on the Ostie, the lead you need is HUGE.  For example, try this, go offline and start shooting at the drones.  Turn on the video recorded (Alt-R) and tape 30 seconds or so of you trying to shoot at drones.  Limit it to a single drone (pick a name).  Then, play the video back and jump into that plane and watch where your rounds were passing.  Chance are they were WAY behind.  I found that at D1.0 and targets at only 200mph (the drones), your lead needed to be more than a half screen width.  The sight on the Ostie is essentially useless because of that.  If can only help with elevation at best.

One trick I know is used is to use your mouse as a pointer.  Move it to the center of the gunsight on the Ostie, then set your head position high enough so you can see over the belt of armour.  Then, fire away, using the mouse to know your center point.  You can also test things offline by using the constant computed gunsight (turn it on).  You need to have padlock turned on also and then you can select targets from the Ostie and it gives you an aim point to fire at.  I found that point to still only be about half what I needed to actually lead (after watching tapes of my shooting from the targets perspective).

It's more art that science though, but hopefully this helps.

-Soda
Aces High Trainer Corps.
The Assassins.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
GV & Buff Guns
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 09:47:24 PM »
Great feedback...thanks Soda!

DmdMax

Offline Flittt

• Zinc Member
GV & Buff Guns
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 09:45:26 AM »
Also, keep in mind that "things in the mirror are closer then they appear"
 When   your looking at stuff Behind you, knock 400 to 500 yards off the apparent range-in other words, if the bad guys range is 1.5k in your view, in his your only 1k out (about)

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
GV & Buff Guns
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 10:56:52 AM »
Thanks Soda !!! For all the work you do, you should be on the HTC payroll !!!

Offline snocone

• Copper Member
GV & Buff Guns
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 12:57:22 PM »
thanx soda, no wonder i couldnt hit the drones off line using an ostie. i had the flags on , was all over them, and still nothin. usefull info

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
GV & Buff Guns
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 11:39:09 PM »
Flittt,
  That's only partially correct... things can appear at different distances due to lag, but in the hit calculations it is what-you-see-is-what-you-hit.  Hits are calculated on your front-end and the damage updates sent to the target.  You do need to be careful though as you are correct in that the enemy might be closer than you think so you don't want to hold off firing any later than necessary.

Thanks guys, I try and help out where I can.  Simply been around so long that I've tested just about everything I can think of in order to understand it.  Kinda silly, but that's just me.

-Soda
Aces High Trainer Corps
The Assassins.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
GV & Buff Guns
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2003, 03:21:57 PM »
You also have to remember that an Ostwind fires a heavy shell that falls off its trajectory moreso than a .50 cal bullet would.  You shoot .50s, but you lob 37mm.  I see a lot of Osti guys firing below and behind their targets.  

Think like a quarterback - lead your receiver and let him come to the ball.