Author Topic: Where did you get your call sign?  (Read 14751 times)

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Where did you get your call sign?
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2002, 01:46:06 PM »
I saw a comercial for the movie Van Wilder, and I thought I'd launch a preemptive campaign to say that my handle has NOTHING to do with either that movie or Trainspoters which aparantly also had a guy called sickboy in it. My handle comes from my favorite band; Social Distortion. They had a song called "Sick Boy." I wanted "Sickboy" for my liscense plate, but some other California Nesshead had beat me to it (perhaps had I lived in Nevada. Hmmmm...) Anyhow, All I could get was "Sikboy" so I took it. Thought I was 10 pounds of cool in a five pound sack when I was 19. Its a bit harder to explain to people 10 years later.

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline JoeDirt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #136 on: March 22, 2002, 01:58:49 PM »
i wanted a name everyone could say easily....... and remember.....
and the movie joedirt came to mind.....and he liked explosives and so do i so....(ive never really seen the movie tho. just heard of it)

some people mix me up with JoeCrip :(

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2002, 02:16:26 PM »
Ok, I'l try to keep this short.

BBS is MajTom (David Bowie) but I fly under AirScrew.   When I first signed up I had wanted  to use the nickname I had for long time from Mountain Home AFB, Trigger (long story about that one, lets just say it involves a M16 and a portajohn).  
Then I tried MajTom but it was already taken, so I tried Maj Disaster but too long or else someone already had that too.  Finally got MajWreak, thought that would be cool.  After my two weeks were up I messed up the account and had to pick another name.  
I was a dental tech for 20 years in the USAF. One of my many additional duties was Flight Dentistry NCO, I worked with the Flight Medicine guys to schedule pilots dental exams and work around the flying and training schedules. Anyway we always referred to the pilots as Wingnuts and Airscrews. Wingnuts was taken already and also Propnut and Propwash.  So I settled on AirScrew.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2002, 02:39:02 PM by Airscrew »

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2002, 02:27:26 PM »
Originally posted by Sikboy
I saw a comercial for the movie Van Wilder, and I thought I'd launch a preemptive campaign to say that my handle has NOTHING to do with either that movie or Trainspoters which aparantly also had a guy called sickboy in it. My handle comes from my favorite band; Social Distortion. They had a song called "Sick Boy." I wanted "Sickboy" for my liscense plate, but some other California Nesshead had beat me to it (perhaps had I lived in Nevada. Hmmmm...) Anyhow, All I could get was "Sikboy" so I took it. Thought I was 10 pounds of cool in a five pound sack when I was 19. Its a bit harder to explain to people 10 years later.

-Sikboy

why not:  kingofools ?:D

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2002, 02:39:08 PM »
Hajo

Hans Joachim Hermann was leader of the JG/300 Wilde Sau which flew 109s and 190s in defense of the Reich.  Stold his nickname which was "Hajo"
- The Flying Circus -

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2002, 02:51:46 PM »
Scourge as in of the skies +) hehe boring whatever I know...

AW only permitted 5 characters

SKurj

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2002, 02:59:07 PM »
Picked mine as it described me well. I have always been a lone wolf type person and it suited. The 13 came from the 13th TAS  squad that I was a member of all the way back to 93 in AW.
 No it wasn't from the Tom Cruz movie, it was the older western serial tv show of the same name.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2002, 03:11:58 PM »
Originally posted by loser

why not:  kingofools ?:D

lol, only 7 letters on a CA License plate :)
I'm partial to "Mommies Little Monster" and considered a change, but there was an -MLM- in AW already lol.

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2002, 03:35:30 PM »
Enjoying this thread and the answers to all the questions I had like...hmmm wonder what that name relates to????

RangrBob... is easy to figure out. I'm and old Army Ranger from the Vietnam days. Once and Army Ranger...you're a Ranger for life. I've been called Ranger Bob ever since those days. My call sign on all sims has been some form of RangerBob. My Ranger buddy is know as Ranger Finn. You either took the first name or the last name. Whatever fits.

Ranger Bob

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2002, 04:03:39 PM »
Mine kinda developed from my name too,first name is Neil,surname starts with J and my friends called me neilj,then neilyj,then steelyj,then just plain steely,sort of an evolution thing i spose :)
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Dawggus

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nightmares.org
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2002, 04:26:35 PM »
BFD ...

I started playing Air Warrior at the end of the baseball season.  We had gotten in the habit that year of saying, when our 3, 4 and 5 hitters were coming to the plate, "time to let the Big Dawg eat".  So, I used the handle "Big Dawg" when I started, and shortened it to BFD for my CPID.

So, what's the "F" stand for?  Hmm, the world may never know :).

Cya Up!

Offline Juan Carlos

• Zinc Member
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2002, 04:28:42 PM »
mi nick in WBs was wyrm, witch means winged serpent, but by the time i switched to AH wyrm was allready taken and i didnīt want to ad a number or anything to it, so since i only fly german planes i put sinonyms in a english to german translator, and dragon = drache, serpent = schlange, etc.. so my account with drache got screwed up and now iīm schlange.

Offline Ratbo

• Copper Member
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2002, 06:09:33 PM »
Westy's handle is just a spinoff on his last name.  Now "Rancid" that's a story. :p

-W

Originally posted by Westy
Oh great! Um? Westy huh? <looks down depressed>
 ferRrget it. There is no story. What a lame handle hmmm? How about?   "Toxic" !!!???

(sick of 'Westy'. considering a new one now that everyone has even a minimal story behind their handle)

-- (fill in the blank for now)  

Offline Ratbo

• Copper Member
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2002, 06:23:10 PM »
OK - I'll bite.

For most of my AW career I went by =B17= , I took it when I was new and it was a just a lamer use of my favorite plane. But I really couldn't get out from under it becuse I had become a fairly well known player.

The AW Longbow scenario had a "real life" kinda newsgroup that would have become like our Bigweek NG except we already had that. During this scenario I was suffering from a rat infestation and going on a mad killing spree. This culminated in a couple of bloody battles and a post from me in that NG entitled "I HATE RODENTIA!!!!" that chronicled the two most vicious battles.

I signed it "Ratbo" - this was the first recorded use of the term.

Then 3rdUp called "RATS AWAY!" on the next frame when we dropped our eggs - on the open channel no less.

Then I used Ratbo on my AW "shades account" and finally used it on my name tag at the final AW Con in Seattle. When it came time to pick a name here, it seemed a no brainer as most of the old AW types knew who Ratbo was and the people I'd meet here wouldn't care that I kinda changed my name 'cause they didn't know me anyway - so the transformation was complete.

However my e-mail is still b17ofthebz@hotmail.com and prolly will be forever.

There you have it!  (and that's the *short* version) :)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2002, 06:52:38 PM »
You really don't wanna know

NUTTZ