Author Topic: Where did you get your call sign?  (Read 14341 times)

Offline Spoons - SimHQ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.simhq.com
Where did you get your call sign?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2000, 07:52:00 PM »
Probably started with my grandfather, who was called Spoony by his B-24 flight crew in the war.  Stuck with him, stuck to my Dad growing up, and stuck with me until college, until I gradually started changing it to Spoons.

My last name is not really pronounced "spoon-hour," but but throughout my life, maybe 3 people have gotten it right ("spon-hour")    

So Spoons it is.

------------------
John Sponauer
Senior Editor, SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2000, 07:55:00 PM »
Had the nicname at work for years of HairBear (looked like Jerry Garcia on a bad hair day) when I started to fly online I found the nic was taken so, JimBear it became. Turned out best in the long run, cuz now I look more like fuzzy wuzzy  

------------------

[This message has been edited by JimBear (edited 04-28-2000).]

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2000, 08:58:00 PM »
Was going to name my son "Kieren", because it was the only name I could think of that didn't have a bad memory associated with it (teachers hear them all). As it turned out, I had two daughters. There won't be a strike three.  

[This message has been edited by Kieren (edited 04-28-2000).]

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2000, 09:29:00 PM »
It is a long story...

Many years ago I was born and parents gave me the name Fariz, what is "Knite" in arabic (still do not know why I fly for bishops?   I used callsign Wizard for almost 8 years in games and communications thru net, but after some consideration I decided that sometime I am not as good as want to be, and also my name is GREAT!   So I decided to stay with it.

Fariz. Fariz. Fariz.   (Just love how it sounds)
XII Legion

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2000, 09:36:00 PM »
I started out playing CK/WB as "suck" because... well, I wasn't too good to begin with.  It was also fun to be able to answer people who said "you suck" or "I suck" with "no, I'm suck!"  Yea, kinda stupid really.  Anyhow...

A month or two later, I got my assignment out of pilot training to go fly the F-15E, so I changed my ident to eagl (with an L   )  I dueled only once for my ident, against someone who was using eag1 (with a one) and he was gracious enough to give up his ident after the duel series.

------------------
eagl <squealing Pigs> BYA
Oink Oink To War!!!
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2000, 10:04:00 PM »
I'm one of those guys who started flying in Fighter Ace under my brothers account (Master of Sparks...now Shortened to Sparky) and I learned to love online Combat Flight Sims from that.  

Having flown in FA for a couple of months, I was approached and asked to become a member of the Devildogs Squadron, so I started looking for names that had to do with aerial phenomena, such as Tornado, Tempest, Storm, etc.

Most of those names were already taken when I suddenly remembered `sundogs fire on the horizon' as a lyric from a Rush song. Knowing what sundogs were and joining the Devildogs, I thought the name was kinda of cool, so that's what I used.

[This message has been edited by Sundog (edited 04-28-2000).]

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2000, 11:12:00 PM »
I looked down at my waist.

Gordo
Fat DRUNK Bastards

Offline PropNut

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2000, 11:46:00 PM »
Mines just what it says    having worked on all kinds of aircraft,and a few old warbirds, my prefrence has always been the old prop driven warbirds. nothing sounds better than an old oil spitting radial   so im just a PropNut

78con

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2000, 11:47:00 PM »
Great thread Daddog! Much beter'n Etiquitte in the Training Arena

the 78 is the year of my birth. I got it when i was signing up for a yahoo mail account. Since i have two of the most common names on the planet (Aaron Smith) the sever suggested i attach my birth year.
the con is carried over from another bbs. there i am 78convert. short for 1978 convertible (my dodge ramcharger). The ah handle was limited to 78con which I serendipidously (sp?) enjoy very much.
being a con is more fun than the actual running i mostly do !!
btw : what was jwg?? judge ?

[This message has been edited by 78con (edited 04-28-2000).]

Luckie

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2000, 12:13:00 AM »
on the irc channel #fscombat, i started using the name "lkjjj" simply because it was exceptionally easy to type (look at the keyboard). when i eventually started using that name in WB, i rationalized that it was very easy to type so i would get better six calls. probably no truth to that (since tyoping it doesn't come as natural to the left hand). but in any event, the squad mates eventually got tired of having someone with an unpronouncable name. a few tried to dub me "luckjug", so that they had a pronouncable nickname that bore some resembelance to the WBid. luckjug was not acceptable to me, but we compromised on "lucky" (also good since by that time i was doubling the K/D of anyone else in the squad). i eventually sttled on luckie as a varient spelling since that was available as a WBid ("lucky-" was taken).
that is all....
-luckie

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2000, 12:46:00 AM »
Started out as TLT11 in AW went to TLT19 quit the squad I was in (they flew relaxed realism and still do to this day) Went back to TLT11 and then to Snupe (because snoopy was taken and so was snupy my dogs name and yes he is a beagle) from there I became INDN because thats all that fits in AWIII I was also snupe in WB the first time I tried it. Then INDN in  WB and indian in Aces high should of staid with the short version.

How I came up with indian(INDN) is I am 1/4 Cherokee 1/2 american mutt and 1/4 british ( family tree goes all the way back to 1520's)
Didnt want to use chief so picked indian.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  1st Aces High Trainer Corps.
Home of The Allied Fighter Wing A.F.W.
A.F.W. Homepage

Toffer

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2000, 01:32:00 AM »
Started out in FA as Hildy., but since I spent so much time going down in flames I changed it to ToF (Tails on Fire). Somewhere along the line the "fer" got added. So here I am Toffer.

Still am damn good at skywriting  

Offline Waxer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2000, 01:40:00 AM »
"to wax" is a verb in both surfing and dogfighting, so I've been Waxer since 1988-ish.

Plus, it's historically accurate: Japanese historical scenarios have Waximoto, and in German its Wachser.

But I have an evil twin called El Tio Suave.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2000, 02:14:00 AM »
Started in WB1.09 as batu, my cat's name, which is incidently the name of a Mongol Khan.  When my wingie and I decided to form a VVS squad I changed it to leonid, which is a play on my last name (Leon Guerrero), and Russian.

------------------
leonid, Komandir
5 GIAP VVS RKKA

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."
ingame: Raz

Offline blitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2000, 02:16:00 AM »
When i started online simming 1,5 years ago in WB2.01 german version i looked  for a short callsign & it should be in german.
Found Blitz what means flash or lightning in english.
Love to come down like a Blitz  from a thunderstorm at the AcesHigh skies right on your six  

blitz