Author Topic: Blame Me and the RJO  (Read 1926 times)

Offline warlox

• Zinc Member
As A Bishop
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2003, 01:22:37 PM »
Something was afoot.  Couple of bases showing BIG dar bars.  On Bishop channel someone wrote, “check roster 247 Rooks”.

I put the metaphorical book down me pants, knowing my arse was about to spanked.
I think all Bishops gripped hard and braised themselves.  Sure enough we got spanked but plenty had presents of mind to Strat back.  Bishops managed to nail all but one of Rooks forward facing barracks.  Enough to make Rooks target Knights… until troopers were enabled again.  We were slapped down to 10 bases with only  2 fields undamaged.

The type of Bishops comments ranged from “Doomed…we’re all doomed”, “Oh hell (cleaned that up) it ain’t fair”, “We done it to them enough. It’s our turn” to “Wow target rich tally ho”,

After the initial shock of it all.  The part where U Rooks may have thought, Bishops resembled a chicken with its head cut off, trying to kill Barracks.  Missions upped for a fight back.  We recaptured some bases before reset, partly; due to the fact Rooks were working knights.  Without wanting to come across sour grapes you Rooks were “Out on a Jolly”.

IMHO
I got to hand it to you Rooks you done a good job all round.  Any army going to war ideally should have 3 to 1.  Was jealous you guys mustered so many .
Was a little disappointed with some Bishops fighting over a Knight V base in the north while the south was taking a kicking.  A V base that the Rooks would have away in minutes.  Was glad Bishops didn’t Log on mass but despite the odd grown here and there, fought back . Was amazed that when Knights (nitwits as Bish call them) were down to just 1 flying field they fought back…against a Bishop field.  GO FIGURE!

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Blame Me and the RJO
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2003, 05:48:45 PM »
recon7 said:
It was surprising that, when you set your sites on the Knights, the reset didn't happen more quickly.

That was just our usual "problem" popping up again.  When the RJO gets into juggernaut mode, we only pork certain key things at fields so we can quickly use them at full strength to continue our advance.  Problem is, only about 1/3 at most of the Rooks in the arena are in the RJO, so most don't know this.  Many of these random, disorganized guys join onto our attacks and bomb stuff that shouldn't be bombed, thinking they're helping.  The damage they do slows our advance considerably.  

That's what happened last night.  Over-enthusiastic non-RJO vandals killed troops, fuel, and bombs at nearly every field we captured from the nits.  Thus, we had to make very long hops from places where we still had offensive potential.  Oh well, maybe the common herd will learn someday :)

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Blame Me and the RJO
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2003, 06:19:58 PM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
This is how the game should be

Damn straight, most fun I've had in the MA since I started flying AH. There's nothing like having a plan and working as part of a team - exactly why scenario play is such fun.

I also agree with your "take" about being on the receiving end. Trying to be the wrench thrown into the gears of the juggernaut (as I've seen the opportunity to be from the Rooks' side many times) allows for fast and furious action, plus the satisfaction of knowing you're messing up someone else's plan :)

The nights when the fights are unfocused, even numbers, spread thin all over the map, are the "boring" ones for me.

culero (one way or another, pissing off the enema is gud!)
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Blame Me and the RJO
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2003, 06:43:21 PM »
Originally posted by Bullethead
Problem is, only about 1/3 at most of the Rooks in the arena are in the RJO, so most don't know this.  Many of these random, disorganized guys join onto our attacks and bomb stuff that shouldn't be bombed, thinking they're helping.  The damage they do slows our advance considerably.

That's the big drawback of all squad based operations. How can you expect those that are not in RJO squads to be cooperating with you if everything that counts for most players is their squad? It creates tunnel vision, focusing on squad members, hiding the rest.

There would probably more cooperation on a broader basis without squads at all...

Offline AVRO1

• Copper Member
Blame Me and the RJO
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2003, 06:50:17 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
just curious... how were the numbers in the arena during this awesome strat exercise?   Lotta people come online as knits or bish diring this fun fest?  wonder how many new players logged on and said.. "wow look at this awesome, chesslike, complex strat... sign me up!"
lazs

Dont want to brag guys but I told ya so last night :D

WTG Grimm.

Great Job Rooks.

Hail NightHawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Blame Me and the RJO
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2003, 07:18:43 PM »
That's the big drawback of all squad based operations. How can you expect those that are not in RJO squads to be cooperating with you if everything that counts for most players is their squad? It creates tunnel vision, focusing on squad members, hiding the rest.

There would probably more cooperation on a broader basis without squads at all...

I don't agree, I think it works quite well.  I was in the same room as Grimm helping the coordination.  Communications were for all to see, so anyone not in an RJO squad could have joined in.  We did not turn down any squad, small squad or individual who wanted to join in.  Rogue Rooks that did not participate did a great job working other areas of the map.  As a mater of fact, I was counting on them and they pulled through.

RJO is all about squads.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Blame Me and the RJO
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2003, 07:26:10 PM »
It was surprising that, when you set your sites on the Knights, the reset didn't happen more quickly.

The Knights put up a great fight with the overwelming odds.  They didn't let up until the last field fell .  I was surprised the numbers of both Knights and Bishops stayed steady and didn't drop off as I have seen before before a reset.  

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
Blame Me and the RJO
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2003, 09:41:58 PM »
Well,  
I thought I would share with you what we saw from the command center.   Its a bit long, but Perhaps some folks might enjoy it.

After the big Op was done last night,  Gunner and I sat and talked about the Operation.  We where trying to come up with the squad that really did the best.   The problem was,  Everyone did so Dammed good it was hard to say one squad out shined another.  

The Big Squads did there jobs, the Little Squads were in there scrapping.   COs were making good judgement calls,  everyone was keeping command here updated and informed.  

The fact that everyone stayed together when we shift north against the knights was an outstanding credit to you all.

The Only effort that really stood out, was the defense at 48 just as we swung north. This was a real dirty job.  I know the Nazgul were there, and probably some others.  Id have to give the MVP to the Nazgul and there help.   WTG Guys!

So  On to the AAR From the Command Center.......

This Mission actually started about 6 months ago.   Bullethead, FlashCAF and myself have been working toward this for a while.  BH did allot of testing and prepared the data for a major strat raid,  Flash doing ops for the squad ran a few strat nights for us to get a feel for how it works.    the data was put together our plan.

A couple weeks ago I started to harass everyone to get signed up on the RJO mailing list website.  I wanted to make sure we had everyone on board and ready to go.  I asked for opinions from you guys on how to make it happen.  We took that all into account when doing the plan.

So, at 7pm(central)  I signed into AH and Started to prepare for Operation Big Load.  I knew we would be pushing it starting so early,  but you know how the RJO wanes later in the evening.  I wanted plenty of time to do things properly.

At 7:30 Gunner arrived at my house as I was typing out target assignments for anyone that might have missed Email orders.   He got settled in and by 7:45 (central)  we were ready to rock.

The Bishops had the strongest position of our advisories, so we targeted them.

As Squads started rolling things got hectic on our end.  lots of questions, lots of reports coming in,  But I called for COs to make judgment calls,  you all know what to do.  

One of the Coolest parts of the night came next.  I was stationed in a map room with the Stat Chart in front of me.  I would watch the numbers (in %) rapidly falling  95%,83,58,57,54,44,32,21,15% just counting down as each target was hit.  

Squads were ordered to secondary targets or to pork fields, we even got some bishop captures.  at about 8:15 my time, things looked pretty bad for the bishops, they had NO Strat.  Everything was down.  It stayed that way all night, until the reset.

All week I had been considering making a second run to pork both countries,  but with the numbers the rooks had rallied for a SUMMER RJO, it was apparent we would roll up the map.

Looking at the clipboard, it was obvious the Bishops couldn't sustain the war now.  they just didn't have fuel or troops or much else to advance.  The Knights on the other hand were starting to rally to push on our back door.   The enemy was close to balance as far as fields and numbers,  but the Knights at least had some strat, so thy were now the bigger opponent.  Spread the Hate and Switch north.  I made the call to move against the Knights.  All Squads made the transition and the push was on.

Gunner and I assessed the Map and decided the way to achieve this would be to go up to the very tip of the map in the north, then push south again, pinching the knights between us and bishops.  

It was a hard fight,  We had been instilling Pork Pork Pork all night, it was hard for guys to stop. I cant blame them, we were having a grand time.  still it made it hard to advance bring troops long distances.  Still everyone stuck together and kept pushing. Slowly key fields fell one by one.   Around midnight my time, we capture the last field and we had a reset.

The Bishops had been Crushed by Strat, the Knights had been crushed by field captures.  we ruled the map and we had fields darn near from shore to shore.  

I would have to say,  Last Night was most likely the best night I have ever experience in AH or AW.   I can thank all the RJO for that!   Iv seen alot of comments that it was the best RJO to date.  I have to agree, and Its a credit to everyone involved.

ODM!!!!

Grimm
CAF-CO
CiC - Op Big Load

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Blame Me and the RJO
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2003, 08:50:13 AM »
I wasn't there grimm but asside from the mental masterbation of thinking you were causing earth shaking grief on your "enemies"....

sounds like the actual event was as boring to participate from either end.  Pretty much the definitive AH 'strat' experiance eh?
lazs

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
Blame Me and the RJO
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2003, 10:24:18 AM »
I wasn't there grimm but asside from the mental masterbation of thinking you were causing earth shaking grief on your "enemies"....

sounds like the actual event was as boring to participate from either end.  Pretty much the definitive AH 'strat' experiance eh?
lazs

LOL!  
Well, I think it would have been boring for you,  but I had a good time.   I was hoping you would have been there to see it.   oh well.

Offline Pbear52

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.webpolarbear.com
OH WOW
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2003, 10:50:47 AM »
It is very sad that some pilots in Aces High cannot tolerate diverse views on how pilots enjoy Aces High  ("my way or the highway" mentality like LAZS), cheap shots abound here in Aces High from a minority of pilots who do not have a sense of community or team. Being a lone wolf pilot is fine but the “Jerry Springer” attitude of a few hurt the Aces High community potential. There is more than one arena, and more arena options in Aces High TOD to come. The Aces High community is really a society of its own not unlike the world we live in. We will do ourselves a favor by showing more tolerance/diversity in the Aces High community to increase the enjoyment we all get from flying Aces High. Find the Aces arena, squad, lone wolf ops that you like and enjoy. It never ceases to amazed me the trash talk and cheap shots that you see in forums or on CHN 1.  But again that is the Aces High society we live in and need to work things out.

Aces High is putting a great effort into AH2!  I hope they put the same effort into creating an Aces High community that has  LAW and Order, Fair and equal treatment, treating people with dignity and respect, and no tolerance for destructive comments in any forum or CHN1. Pilots need to have free speech to present their view but not in a destructive or offensive manner. I was pretty comfortable getting younger relatives involved in Air Warrior, Ace High is rated R or XXX at times and I am not comfortable any longer getting young folks involved and have seen Father/Son teams leave Aces high for that reason. That is a sad and lost opportunity for Aces High.

Grimm, I have already told you but I will say it again. That was the best Aces High Event, ROOK RJO, I have every participated in and it clearly shows what the Aces High community is capable of when they work together in a positive manner!!! WELL DONE!!:D

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Blame Me and the RJO
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2003, 10:56:23 AM »
<> Grimm and the RJO.

I was amazing to watch - even from a Knight point of view ;)
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Blame Me and the RJO
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2003, 11:17:34 AM »
lazs2 groaned:

Well lazs, seeing how you never seem to enjoy anything, I'm not surprised you feel that way ;).

But I thought it was a lot of fun.  AFAIK, nobody has ever attempted to simultaneously destroy all of a country's strat before, so it was very cool just being part of the attempt.  That the attacks succeeded spectacularly made it even more so.  After that, I agree it was pretty much the usual steamroller to the reset, except that 1) we were pitching instead of catching for a change, and 2) we aimed at the OTHER country out of pure spite, so that we stomped both bish and nits in the same reset.  That's something you don't often get to do, so was also cool in its own way.  Especially since we weren't expecting to get a reset when we set out :D.

I hope HTC is studying the effects of the big strat attack and checking the results against what they want the system to do.  Who knows?  Maybe a better strat system, one you might even like, will rise from the wreckage in bishland.

The thing I'm curious about is this:  how long would bish strat have stayed down if we'd not reset the nits?  I mean, nothing was higher than 18%, and most was below 10%, for 3-4 hours after the attacks--essentially no repair happened at all.  Now suppose the Rooks and nits had agreed NOT to reset each other or the bish, but basically just furball along their front while ignoring the bish (after porking their fields to limit their reach).  Would bish strat have EVER repaired?  Could we have consigned the bish to the wasteland for several days straight?  Now THAT would be Evil :D

Offline RookieCAF

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.cactusairforce.org/~rookie/blog/
Blame Me and the RJO
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2003, 11:51:17 AM »
Sounds like a few people are tasting sour grapes ;)

~Rookie

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
Blame Me and the RJO
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2003, 03:53:40 PM »

lazs

Wow... our lives are now complete. Lazs has spoken... Ohmmmm! I for one can now discorporate knowing that his royal self has spoken.

Hey Lazs...new idea... why don't you just shut the ********** up! Unless you actually take the time to think first.