Author Topic: Aces High $19.95 Special Offer  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Aces High $19.95 Special Offer
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2000, 07:15:00 AM »
Someone called this a slap in the face!!!  Well my face isn't stinging, but my groin surely hurts!!!

Reminds me of where I work.  I have been dedicated to the job and am told my reward is having my job.  Yet new people come to the company and they get more money and a bonus for the exact same job description.  And yes, my groin hurts then too!!

Some things never cease to amaze me!!

Have a nice day!!  
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2000, 07:48:00 AM »

Originally posted by Maniac:

Once the ones who got this offer have signed up perhaps we will see this : "Sorry guys, the experement with different pricing plans did not work out we will keep the 29.99 pricing"

Um....no they wont Maniac.  Cos if they did I'm positive a few lawyers would receive copies of the original email detailing the offer and then HTC would get a few summons's through the mail the following week.  And I'm also positive Pyro knows this and isn't as green as he is cabbage looking.  

(just an expression Pyro, I'm sure you dont really look like a cabbage)  .

Swoop

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2000, 07:55:00 AM »
"Um....no they wont Maniac."

They would be in no trouble at all as long as the ones offered the new pricing gets to keep on paying the $19 or the $10 (got more confirmation about the $10 offer.)

An price change is bound to happen now, HTC has painted themselfs into an corner with 3 different pricing ""options"".

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-

[This message has been edited by Maniac (edited 10-25-2000).]
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2000, 08:08:00 AM »
His upraised, open palm came sharply down upon the child's face.

*SLAP*

"Are you done? Is that enough?"

C'mon, I can't believe this. When I heard HTC was considering $19.95 a month for AH, I was happy. Of course, I don't mind the money I spend now, but savings are savings. That a select target group gets it before I do doesn't matter a bit. It also has nothing to do with me, because the offer is aimed at people who are on the fence. It isn't a loyalty issue at all, as some here seem to believe. It is about hitting the magic number that gives HTC the most money for the market.

That's right. HTC wants to make money. *SLAP*

It is all so incredibly simple to understand I can't even see how this is an issue. The competition is out there, fellas. Business is business. If HTC wants to offer a permanent rate for a select few pilots, fine.

It is the permanent nature of the offer that gives it validity. I might say "eh, 3 months, I can handle that" and take the offer knowing I will quit in the end- the only reason for taking the offer being its limited nature. By making it permanent, HTC gets to see what people would really do.

I realize if the pricing structure is lowered for all some will take their $10 savings and seek counseling for all the trauma this experiment has caused.

*SLAP*

That was for me, kinda starting to like it.  

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2000, 08:17:00 AM »
Imo too many ppl are over reacting to this post.  

These emails went out to a controlled group of ppl apparently.  It's a survey and experiment for HTC simply put.  

Kinda like all the griping ppl hear when they don't make it into a closed beta.  

Folks get special offers for stuff all the time.  Free coupons...survey's...things like this happen in the business world and I'm glad to see HTC on the ball in marketing and finding out how to better market their game.

Wingnut

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2000, 08:23:00 AM »
Okay, I'll let the cat out of the bag. Since last February I've joined and quit several times. HTC now pays ME $19.95 a month!

I figure that if I can keep this up I should be able to retire in a few years.  

eskimo

« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2000, 08:28:00 AM »
OK, you guys are right.
HTC should offer AH for $10 a month, and if the company folds because their revenues drop by 1/2, that's OK because at least no one got a better deal than you.

And if WB bumps then their price up to $40 a month for their online cartoon, then what?  What a deal that will be in the long run...

Most guys in my squad spend hundreds of dollars each year on their computers and joysticks.  We all also spend $240 to $576 for a decent connect.  

If you can afford a semi-modern computer and internet account, and you love this game, then the $359.40 a year that you pay HTC should seem like a pretty good deal.

eskimo

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2000, 08:30:00 AM »
Guys, don't you get it?

If they get a large majority of this small test group to come back to AH, then we will all get a permanent reduced rate! So what if a few people get a $10/month break for a few months? If it helps us all out in the long run(more people=more resource dollars, faster updates), then we should be happy that they're trying to do this.

If it works, WE ALL BENEFIT!

If it doesn't, well, then we can argue about that in a few months.

Either way, we all win. We'll either get a lower monthly price for AH, or we'll have something to really squeak about!  

[This message has been edited by banana (edited 10-25-2000).]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2000, 08:35:00 AM »
AH's $29.95 a month is some of the best money I spend monthly... probably figures out to be about $.0000002 an hour. The problem with lower the price is the same as I saw in FA when they went to $9.95 a month. Too many punks. The FM will keep some out as it is easy for a newbie to get frustrated but they'll always be a flood of new obnoxious blood flowing in and out. Just keep radio ch 1 squelch an option please  

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2000, 08:36:00 AM »
I pay whatever I feel is a worthy price for any entertainment service, if AH and WB's were both still flat rate, you'd still see me over here since I prefer this sim to the others.  Price has no bearing when the entertainment outweighs enjoyment in return.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2000, 08:40:00 AM »
Beware jealosy, for it is the green-eyed monster that mocks it's prey.

William Shakespear, from Othello.

(As close as I can come from memory.)

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2000, 08:41:00 AM »

Originally posted by eskimo:

If you can afford a semi-modern computer and internet account, and you love this game, then the $359.40 a year that you pay HTC should seem like a pretty good deal.

If others just like me ,pay 240$/year,I dont know why must I pay 360$.

I have no problems with trainers' free flying , or DUMA's rivets. In Fact I agree with that policy. They do wonderful things for the community and htey deserve their reward. (and I LOVE the rivets)

But I can't see why, for instance, Scaramouche (hola cyrano    ) has received that offer and could've flown per 20$ only (S! tio, ahi has estao torero). What has done Scaramouche in AH that none of us has done for this community, for HTC?

to leave.To go from AH.

And because he left he is offered 20$/month forever?. And I am stuck with 30?.

Sorry if I am raged,but I find this unnaceptable. Maybe most people here are rich and don't mind 10$/month. I do mind. I don't have money to throw away, you know.

And I wont postin this thread anymore (unless directly named), because I dont want to go ballistic...HTC has my outmost respect as individuals and as a company, again. But this has been a BIG blunder, and I mean BIG.    

Lephturn. Call it jelousy, call it whatever. Yes, I cant stand seeing how people who have done nothing special (apart than leaving from AH) have a 33% less money to pay than me.

When I have payed AH I have been late nearly 90% of the times, as I had to collect the money to pay it. I NEVER, repeat NEVER said that I found the price high. I NEVER, repeat NEVER asked for a price reduction.

Now I ask for it. I want to pay the same as everyone, I find unnaceptable this situation. If people here want to pay more, great. If I had more money I wont take this so serious. But I dont and I DO take this serious.

[edit]Please,can someone lend me .5$?   [/edit]

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 10-25-2000).]

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2000, 08:44:00 AM »
Actually, if you read your TOS, Hitech can cancel your account with or without reason at any time.

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2000, 08:55:00 AM »
I learned a long time ago, that whether it be about religion, business or social environments, there will always be a group of people willing to strap explosives to their bodies to become martyrs for their beloved cause.  It appears that AH is no exception.    To those players willing to pay 30% or more on an on-going basis, than a virtual pilot flying next to you for EXACTLY the same service, only because he answered the same ten simple questions he would have for free if asked during his two week trial, I salute your tremendous passion and commitment to HTC.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of them as I've always believed in the credo that business is a fair exchange of values, unless I'm investing with full risk expectation to receive a higher return down the road.  Interestingly enough,  I said to HT a while ago that I'd be willing to even pay $60 U.S./month or more, but in the form of value added game options I would receive in return, such as vanity plates, access to special events and arenas, access to extended plane sets or use of a customized "soft and furry" badger type plane skins, just to name a few examples.  I would bet there's a ton of things that could be used as an "up sell" for incremental revenue streams.  A first year marketing student is taught the axiom that "it's much easier and less costly to retain and achieve incremental revenue from any existing customer base, than it is to go out and spend dollars to market and find new customers to sign-up".  The moral, maximize what you have before you start throwing ideas and programs against some research wall to see what sticks.

I did read carefully Pyro's response and I acknowledge a need for test markets.  Heck, P&G invented the concept, but this isn't about the idea which as I said in my first post, I think is a great concept.  IMHO it's just about a very poor implementation, especially in the initial public communications.  Obviously the purpose wasn't about gathering all kinds of sophisticated data, then number crunching it into a meaningful work product output.  First, you're not going to get anything meaningful from the primitive survey requested and it doesn't even address the issue of an acceptable price point question anyway.  Second, if indeed there was a huge amount of information to obtain and sift through, that implies that this special program isn't just about a FEW people being test marketed, but rather a very broad spectrum of new players who walked away after a two week trial.  I'm not convinced that better options to obtain the same data points were carefully examined and explored effectively.  Personally, I think it's simply about making a highly aggressive move to increase player head count at some "yet to be defined" price point water level.  In the interim, there was a need to maintain the current revenue stream from the existing customer base and mask the whole thing under the guise of a market sampling program to make it somewhat defensible when it inevitably became public knowledge.  You would have to be very naive not to believe it wouldn't be dumped out on the boards real quick and I think it's fortunate that our own AH board became the venue as opposed to some other environment, where any civility discussing this would have gone in the toilet fast.  I have to compliment this group on how civil they've been to each other, PYRO for leaving the discussion public and not pulling it, as well as everyone's mostly intelligent commentary about the actual issue.  That in itself is an unusual anomaly for this BBS.  

Pyro, some free feedback from our eGroups poll we've been running for about a month now, which should tell you something about how useless it is trying to obtain a price point set from the world wide financial demographic of players who engage in this type of entertainment.  Albeit, the sampling is small, I doubt the data points would shift dramatically even over 1,000 people.

POLL QUESTION:  If you could set a flat MONTHLY rate for unlimited use of your favorite on- line flight simulation product, what pricing range would you choose?

CHOICES AND RESULTS so far.....

- Up to $10/month, 0 votes, 0.00%  
- $11 to $15/month, 5 votes, 21.74%  
- $16 to $20/month, 6 votes, 26.09%  
- $21 to $25/month, 3 votes, 13.04%  
- $26 to $30/month, 9 votes, 39.13%  
- More than $30/month, 0 votes, 0.00%  

A secondary question that you have to wonder about, is why didn't HTC use this great idea to go offshore, to promote and build incremental revenue though a broader customer base from the EU countries, Australia or Asia, where a reduction to $19.95/month would have been of huge assistance to players where the current $29.95/month is a financial stretch?  It could have been a great preemptive marketing strike against the competition, setting an example they would be forced to follow, as well as the potential to build early adopter market loyalty.  I, as well as I would bet a lot of others in North America, would have gladly supported subsidization of these guys and continued to pay $29.95/month U.S. ($45 Canadian) in order to it a win-win for both HTC and the rest of us.

I fully realize that HTC is only six people and what they have accomplished in a mere 15 months is nothing short of amazing.  IMHO, what is constantly missed and not understood is that not everyone does everything well.  I have learned that in life and business, everybody does do something particularly well and the secret is to get the right people in the right jobs.  Being a great programmer with a huge legacy of experience in dealing with prop drag, doesn't necessarily transfer over into being able to incubate and create a successful business under the tremendous competitive pressures that exist today in on-line Internet gaming.  It seems to me that if HTC is ever going to get off "Omaha" beach and move inland, that some experienced marketing and business advice would be prudent, perhaps from the new Internet advisor that HT has added to his new Board structure as a result of the recent private equity placement.

In any event, it is apparent to me that HTC is intent on going through with this program and therefore, my chapter has come to a close.  To me it's ONLY a game and not my life's calling as it is with some on here.   I have a fulfilling career and a family complete with grandkids.  As much as I love the product, the HTC gang and many of you strange characters I hunker down and fly with regularly, when I get home tonight with access to the game software admin function  I will quietly close my account and move on to other endeavors for the next while.  I simply can't endorse a practice that isolates me as a revenue stream from others who pay less for exactly the same service, especially when a greater revenue opportunity is available from the existing customer base, including players like me.  Quite frankly, I don't care if it's only one other player, it's still unacceptable.  I'll simply wait until the standard price drops to $19.95 as it will sooner than later, then re-subscribe if I'm still interested in this kind of entertainment medium for relaxation, or use the excellent Head to Head implementation as a fix.  Heck, you never know, some people got this same offer at $9.95/month !!!!!!!, so maybe I'll get in on an even lower price later.  

A huge salute to the many friends I've made on AH and I look forward to perhaps flying with many of you in the future, either here or in some other venue.  A genuine thank you to Dale and Doug for providing me with some really fun on-line evenings of flight sim entertainment and also for their heartfelt commitment to the game development and its community.

Best Regards to all.....

Doug (Badger)

Looking for a different kind of environment to discuss your favorite on-line flight simulator?
 http://www.egroups.com/group/flightsimsonline

Ice

« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2000, 09:00:00 AM »
I have just this to say.....

If this is the worst thing to happen to all of us in our lives, we will all be very blessed.

The complaint about two tier pricing is flawed at best....obviously the pricing structure is going to change...HTC knows what it takes to make their nut every month and what is necessary to grow their business.

The question to ask yourself is this...is playing AH worth thirty dollars a month to ME?

If I owned HTC, I would do whatever was necessary to grow my business and succeed.

My company owns shopping centers and we lease out available space at what rate/sq. ft. we feel our product is worth...period....not what a tenant feels they should be paying.

If you can enjoy your hobby great...if HTC's policies offend you then chose another product...I for one could care less about 10.00 a month...I care about the product and whether or not it fulfills my childish need to shoot folks down...think about this first before you go off and do something silly.

This is not about HTC being fair to all of us, however, it is very much about them building a successful company and to that end I am in full support of whatever they choose to do.

Out of Breath

Ice