Author Topic: Hackers and how to handle them...  (Read 1404 times)

Offline wabbit

• Copper Member
      • Wabbit's War Room
Hackers and how to handle them...
« on: December 11, 2000, 01:45:00 PM »
  Well I just read the thread on the hackers.  Hope you guys realize, that the thread posted and replied to on the board does abosolutely nothing but encourage such acts.
  By posting a thread and having that many relies, you're just feeding their ego.
  The way to handle hacking, is to get as much evidence as possible, alert Hitech, Pyro, Ronnie, (Hi Ronnie :-) ), etc, etc, and  THEN SAY NOTHING PUBLICALLY!!!!!
  If they don't see any big clamor, such as the post I read, then they don't get any ego boast.  At worse, this will only encourage them to try more stuff, which will make it easier for them to be identified and caught. I don't think we have to worry that they will be able to do any real serious damage.  But I do know that announcing their hack to the world will only feed their egos.

wabbit steps off his soapbox and returns to his burrow....
Wabbit:
             The Official Rolling Thunder Target Drone...

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2000, 01:52:00 PM »
Wabbit is right on the mark.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2000, 04:49:00 PM »
It's not the egotists ya really gotta worry about.  They'll hang themselves in time.  It's the sublte ones who dinnae want to be caught, making minor tweaks to a few numbers

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2000, 05:08:00 PM »
CJ... your posting that in this public BB is bloody foolish!
film, email, shutup

AKSKurj

-towd_

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2000, 08:14:00 PM »
ohh yea be quiet like befor when yall said post pictures and several claimed hackin was next to impossible or at least caves voicing what at least one other long term pilot feels , alot of people are using minor hacks to give them the edge .

say what you want but its the decided feeling i get , i know you dont like it but does that matter? how is voicing a opinnion that is negative so bad , cave loves this game he is not a witch hunter .he started the feeling that strange stuff was going on bout the same time i did.

in the beta there were no wonder pilots, now there are, either god has made super human pilots or some people are cheatin , that sucks and as a customer he has the right to say so.right or wrong

simple really but you dont like it it feeds the hackers? ok make it harder to hack. is the onerous for fixin anything on htc ? im not being critical of htc really . they are 6 guys trying to make a game , the capitalist system will decide thier fate. but they take the punches and roll with um .

the efforts of the "appologists" are really more undermining of the comunity anyting htc has done. for every criticism their is a rubuke substanciated or not anyone who says keep quiet always seems to have alterior motives , i believe wonder pilots are no exception

TheWobble

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2000, 08:40:00 PM »
I think I know EXACTLY how they did it, but i am not going to say, HTC  E-mail me if you are interested.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2000, 08:58:00 PM »
Funny stuff!  

Towd, what format is the aces high flight modeling written in?

Don't know?

Me neither.

Do yourself a favor, either film it or shadup and fly.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2000, 09:23:00 PM »
 Considering the amount of potential, financial damage to HTC. This looks like a clear case of wanton vandalism. I would think people in the U.S.A. would be subject to criminal prosecution.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2000, 09:28:00 PM »
towd, back up yer accusations or go fly somewhere else please.
statements like this do nothing but promote paranoia, and is purely idiotic.
BTW there's a serial pc burglar in your town.  We haven't publicly announced it for fear it will interfere with the investigation....

If ppl do not realize someone is on to them they are more likely to be caught and measures taken to prevent further occurences don't ya think?

Whinin that so and so is cheatin ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING.

FILM, EMAIL, SHUT THE F*K UP

AKSKurj

Beurling

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2000, 10:18:00 PM »
Hell no Don't shut up!

Every post here is read by htc.
If more than a few are seeing that some here have tweeked fm's perhaps something will get fixed.

I have to be honest when i first started 2 weeks before pay i saw the worst cheating.

How many had 2 accounts and were killing one? Heck they were free right.

You guys rmember all the 10 kill runs. I saw 15,20,and, 24 too. Fact is 10 +kill missions happened all the time. No reloads either.

Alot of that silliness stoped imo.

Now sadly i have seen fm tweeks. A good way to tell is that they phase shift a bit. I mean they blink a bit.

Please dont give me the bull that its lag or whatever other excuse.
Ive got film of one.Hell i have 8 films of one. Big deal. Honestly i wouldent rat a guy out. Thats what sending the film would do.

I feel its htc's responsiblity to find the cheats and disallow them. Every post here brings to their attention that we all are seeing this stuff and a fix needs to be made.

In other games these cheats /hackers would be banned or suspended. This only shoots htc in the foot $30 at a time.

One more point i feel that this fm tweek has slowly moved from those who figured out how to do it to their squadies.

Now it seems to me that the cats out of the bag. Someone has to talk. Now is the time to find out whats being exploited and fix it.

EYE

Offline wabbit

• Copper Member
      • Wabbit's War Room
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2000, 11:05:00 PM »
You miss the whole point.  When I say don't say anything, I only mean on the bbs and in newsgroups.
OFCOURSE notify HT, pyro and them, but don't put it out in the public eye.  That just encourages hackers, and feeds their ego.  The longer they continue hacking, thinking that nobody knows or cares, the easier it is for HT and them to catch them.  Cheating Hacking it's all the same.  Notify HT and don't say anything to anyone. Talking about it won't fix it, and the users won't catch anyone, only HT and company can.

Wabbit:
             The Official Rolling Thunder Target Drone...

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2000, 11:17:00 PM »

Originally posted by Beurling:
Hell no Don't shut up!

Every post here is read by htc.
If more than a few are seeing that some here have tweeked fm's perhaps something will get fixed.

I have to be honest when i first started 2 weeks before pay i saw the worst cheating.

How many had 2 accounts and were killing one? Heck they were free right.

You guys rmember all the 10 kill runs. I saw 15,20,and, 24 too. Fact is 10 +kill missions happened all the time. No reloads either.

Alot of that silliness stoped imo.

Now sadly i have seen fm tweeks. A good way to tell is that they phase shift a bit. I mean they blink a bit.

Please dont give me the bull that its lag or whatever other excuse.
Ive got film of one.Hell i have 8 films of one. Big deal. Honestly i wouldent rat a guy out. Thats what sending the film would do.

I feel its htc's responsiblity to find the cheats and disallow them. Every post here brings to their attention that we all are seeing this stuff and a fix needs to be made.

In other games these cheats /hackers would be banned or suspended. This only shoots htc in the foot $30 at a time.

One more point i feel that this fm tweek has slowly moved from those who figured out how to do it to their squadies.

Now it seems to me that the cats out of the bag. Someone has to talk. Now is the time to find out whats being exploited and fix it.

EYE

Eye,

If you have knowledge and film of a hacker and you do not send it in you are condoning the cheating. That is the same as saying it's just fine by you. As far as I am concerned it makes you no better than they are. I for the life of me can't figure out why someone feels that they are being noble because they won't tell HTC about a hacker they know about. That isn't being noble, it's being a coward and saying they approve of hacking.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2000, 11:18:00 PM »
Towd - You make claims of cheating on a nightly basis. Seems every damned time you take to the skies you are brought down by a cheater. How possibly hard would it be to film just *one* instance of that.... Just *one*.

The command is Alt-R. Hell, one in three deaths is due to a cheater, it would seem. Lets see the goods.

All of you makin' these claims, for that matter. Bunch of Loch Ness Monster hunters, I reckon.

Some people use their errors to learn, to improve. Others just make excuses. Personally, I think it would suck to go through life with that disposition. You got my sympathy.

<shrug>

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2000, 12:11:00 AM »
towd,

I never said that hacking AH was impossible.  Don't go laying blanket statements that are BS.

The simple fact is that the best way to handle hackers is to alert and provide evidence to HTC directly.  Do not inform them indirectly through this BB.  Email the info directly to them.  They will deal with the situation and do the right thing.

Do NOT alert the AH community.
It only creates paranoia.  You should be very familiar with the kind of paranoia that I'm talking about.  Its the kind that makes the observer suspect/think that every little net induced oddity is a hack.  Every time the observer gets shot down, its a hack.  It has to be because he KNOWS that he is the best and nobody who is not cheating could possibly shoot him down.

95+% of accused hacks are net induced weirdness.  Period.

Sisu
-Karnak

[This message has been edited by Karnak (edited 12-12-2000).]
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Beurling

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2000, 12:19:00 AM »
A rat is a rat. Im not a snitch.

Fact is every time this subject comes up i post. You think i want to make enemies of the guys who tweek their fm?

LOL i do that then next i can't hook up to Ah.

Or i get dumped repetedly. Or some files on my computer mysteriously go missing. Or a email that has a virus gets sent to me.

You get it? All of these thing have happened to me when i played aw3.

You can be the best it wont matter.  Some guys have the knowledge  to beat you on a whole different level.

If im part of the problem its because i speak out on the dirty little secret of flight siming. Its not because im not willing to be a tattle tail.

Fact is i play ah straight up like most.

I have fun playing ah my way. I wish someone in the company could shut down the tweeks.

I do not ever think ah or any other game will be unhackable.

EYE <--I was on a sight called tweek 3d there seems to be a forum that is filled with game cheats. I almost posted anyone ever hear of ah...