Author Topic: My view on map sizes..  (Read 544 times)

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
My view on map sizes..
« on: August 04, 2003, 05:45:23 AM »
(Shortened version at bottom)

People are always saying the smaller fields force people to fight, and have more furballs.. I disagree because..

On smaller maps, numbers matter more, because 2 sides are fighting between 1 or 2 fields. The numbers are forced to go there, so the side with more numbers always starts steamrolling. SO furballs last a shorter period of time before the dweebs arrive..

On larger maps, the numbers can be spread out more so the steamroller doesnt get started as easily. Furballs don't become any less prevalant, because players arent distributed evenly between all fields. If there's decent darbar in the area, the 'furballers' are gonna be attracted to it, so a furball starts.. with the extra distance between fields they furball happens between fields and not over them, so hey don't get porked as easily and in turn the furballs last longer, while the 'strat' players can get together on another part of the map and take bases, rather than making both play for and between the same 2 fields. Also, with the extra fields any steamroller that may occurr can be thwarted before they have a major impact. Trinity gets steamrolled because the bottom gets ganged, and pizza gets steamrolled because there are too damn many fields...

SO, to sum this up..

Small maps = less fields = less buffer = more steamroller = less furballs.

Large maps = more fields = more buffer = less steamroller = more furballs and more VARIETY!

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 04:04:05 PM »
PUNT darnit! :D

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 04:08:25 PM »
Large maps=long flight time=timid flyers=less furballs.
Small maps=short flight time=more agreesive flyers=more furballs.

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 04:16:34 PM »
So the players automatically become timid or aggressive because of the map size? A timid pilot is a timid pilot, regardless of the setting, and the same goes for aggressive pilots..

and pls try and give me a reason other than..
"i'm right and you're wrong because i say so" :(

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 04:20:36 PM »
Originally posted by Rutilant
and pls try and give me a reason other than..
"i'm right and you're wrong because i say so" :(

you're wrong and i'm right because everyone else says so.

that do it for you?  :confused:

;)
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 04:38:10 PM »
Ok, people are more timid on large maps because they have to fly for so long to get to a fight and they don't want to die. That's why I like the smaller maps, they have more furballs.

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 08:02:44 PM »
I sorta agree with estes.. I think its more base on the fact that smaller maps means more people are confined to a smaller area = more furballs. larger map larger area people are spread out more so you have more undefended bases = more steamroller less furballs.

Shanes right cus people say so Im right cus Shane says so...hehe

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 09:54:09 PM »
If everyone is confined to the same area that means #1, the side with numbers always steamrolls the side without. #2, it forces the strat folk to pork the furball folk's fields, so if anything resembling a furball starts, it's gone in minutes. This in turn makes people up from fields farther back, gaining alt along the way. More altmonkeys? Newbs divebombing from from higher alt compress. More suiciders! (sorta)

So, using that last bit of totally joking logic, small maps condone altmonkeys, steamrollers, and suicide dweebs! :D

Other than that just consult the first post, 'cuz if you're just gonna repeat yourself so am I.

:p

Edit - by the way.. furballers are gonna congregate to the same place, generally. Where a fight is.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 09:57:40 PM by Rutilant »

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2003, 10:33:50 PM »
Some say its half full others say its half empty....

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 10:39:15 PM »
Tastes great.

Less filling!

Tastes great!

Less filling!
sand

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 07:49:37 AM »
It's not the size of the map...it's how you use it :D

*cough* *cough*  Not that I have that problem.  My map is plenty big.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 07:54:29 AM »
what? no lazs yet?

IMHO the size of the map matters not.....it's the distances to the nearest nme base that effect what you speak of. On some of the large maps IE BigIsles most of the fields are further apart than those on the smaller maps. As Estes pointed out its a matter of flight time. You'll see furballs on any map where opposing bases are closest. Move the fields a bit closer please, maybe not the entire map but give us some areas where the fields are close. BigIsles has more of a naval influence so most of the furballs on it are when CV's are close to an nme field.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2003, 08:15:01 AM »
I find myself slowly joining the 'I hate big maps' crowd.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2003, 10:03:34 AM »
acid is correct (but then you all knew that didn't you.)  base distance is the key not map size.

quite simply.. It is the distance between fields.   close fields allow early war planes to engage and either die, respawn and rejoin the fight or kill and return to base or... capture.

long distance between fields practicaly force the use of late war planes who are not comfortable in any crowd that is not all friendlies.. late war planes by nature avoid large fights that are co alt or co e.   this leads to the timid steamroller behavior.

if you are a late war fan then self interest will make you advocate long distances between bases since the only furball you want to see is below you and small... you want to be able to dive in while the furballer target of choice is slow and engaged in the fight and you want to be able to exit without the chance of someone then picking you for a target.   You want less density of players.   You are a dishonest timid chicken sh**..  but then, that is only my opinion.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
My view on map sizes..
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2003, 12:38:48 PM »
I think a Medium Sized map would be a nice addition.  

Also I think keeping bases fairly close together makes for more interesting game play,  both for types of Dizzy Pilots.  

(furballers that get dizzy from flying tight circles, Strat bombers get dizzy from lack of O2 at high alts)  

I feel the small maps pack us too tightly together, The big maps tend to spread things out too much.   The Idea of using the big size template and packing everything into the middle could be very refreshing.  

Big Isles will probably need some tweaks if the creator hasnt already done so.  But I think people need to realise its a very different layout.  It seems to me to have areas that are corridors for capture.   This means some bases will become key to hold and defend.   attacking outside the corridor would mean a long dull flight.  

At least we have map guys trying Ideas and giving us variety