Author Topic: Had to put my cat under today  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Had to put my cat under today
« on: August 22, 2003, 08:06:11 PM »
Perry for 12 years of loving companionship, words cannot express how much I miss this cat.  Was in the room when they put him under, was the hardest thing in my life I have ever had to see.  But it was quick and painless.  I'm gonna miss you buddy, to the best wingman a guy could ever have.

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 08:30:03 PM »
Pfunk,
I feel your pain bud, went through this christmas before last. My buddy Red passed on laying next to my bed. I never knew that it would affect me the way it did. His brother Leo is still around and I got him a couple of "neices" to keep him company while I am at work.

I dread the day Leo passes...

Perry...
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline DmdMac

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 08:41:39 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about this PFunk.  He looked like couragous, laid back cat.  Cats and dogs both make good pets.

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 08:50:07 PM »
He was the sweetest cat I have ever come across, he did so many little things to make you laugh and enjoyed snuggling immensly.  Its a shame.  He was diagnosed with a hyper thyroid last week.  But yesterday he would not eat(usually ate 3 cans a day due the thyroid) didnt do much walking b/c he was off balance, and his head was perpetually cocked to one side.  The vet said he more than likey had kidneys malfunctioning, and he had a abnormal heart murmr/enlarged heart.  Even if the thyrod was treated, the other problems would become more persistent.  I'm not sure if he was in pain, but he definetly knew something was wrong, I could see it in his eyes.  In the end the vet and I concluded it was best for him to be put under.  I cant stop crying b/c I miss the guy so much.  Thanks for all the kind words

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 08:51:42 PM »
Sorry to hear about Perry :(

That picture reminds me of the many times I've tried to take a pictureof my cat with it's eyes open and looking at the camera. Every time the shuttter or flash went off, he would close his eyes fast enough to be closed during the photo...hehhe  

Cat's are great pets.

Offline Bonden

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 10:30:07 PM »
That was a beautiful cat - Russian Blue right?  Had one of those for a while, named him Czar Nick. One day he just left but I still see him in the neighborhood now and then.

Feel for ya - cats are great :(

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 10:51:11 PM »
My wife and I had to put down an older cat she had for about 10 years. She developed a cancer at an injection site. Cats seem to be prone to cancer when given a certain vacination. When the tumor got too big and we could see she was hurting we took her in to be put down. Hated to do it but hated to see her suffer more.

Do yourself a favor and go out right away and get another cat. It really does help.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 11:00:41 PM »
Sorry about your loss pfunk. Take comfort and solace in the quality of life you gave your friend - rest assured he did.

S!

Nim

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 11:27:20 PM »
Had the same thing happen to the Almighty Tiger Fuzz two years ago. All started when he ran head-first into the sliding glass door trying to tackle and kill a racoon. Ever since he had balance problems, and we had to take him in for prednazone shots. First one worked like a charm but wore off after a couple months. He wasn't as "Rambo" as he was, didn't move with his usual speed, turned into a real lazy cat. For him, that was weird, cause he was usually barreling around the house high on catnip. When he hung the corner to the hallway, and you heard his claws dig into the carpet, it sounded like a damned horse comin through! I had to take him in for a second shot cause the dizzy spells were getting longer. He lasted till I got him home and went into a siezure. He died in my lap on the way back to the vet, me givin him CPR cause he wouldn't breathe. I cried for hours that day, wonderin what I'd do without that cat being around.

Perry & Pfunk, I'll hoise a brew to both of you!

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 11:32:34 PM by flakbait »

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 11:30:29 PM »
Sorry to hear pfunk, it allways hurts losing a family member, and after all, that's what our pets are really.
Had to do the same with my blue heeler *****(Best thing to do is get another one to take his place, wont be the same, but will be just as good in differant ways.

Blue

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2003, 01:20:11 AM »
im truly disheartened pfunk. cats are the greatest pets and i have lost 1 that was with me from age 5 to 22 Cleo was incredible and is truly missed... :(:(

just remember they are always there in your thoughts!
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2003, 04:24:03 AM »
Pfunk, I hear ya man. My wifes got the exact same model. Exactly. He's 15 goin on 16 and hangin in there. She rescued him when he was a we mudball and loves him more than she does me I think.

He started getting skinny as hell and eating like a horse about 2 years ago. I told her to take him to the vet, but she piddled around thinking it was because we moved or something. Eventually I told her if she doesn't do something soon he will DIE! That got her.

She took him to a local country/horse vet who said, "humm, looks like he's getting old". She brought him back home and told me the same thing. I said Bah! Take him back to his old vets, they know him and he didn't look like this 6 months ago.

I'm not saying she didn't love the guy, but I think she was trying to prepare herself for his demise. Finally I prevailed and she took him back to the old vets place. They diagnosed him with the same thing(hyper-thyroid) plus complications.   She started shoving those pills down his throat and he got a bit better, but started tearing his face and ears to shreads. She took him back. He lowered the dosage. He scratched. She took him back. It turns out that he is allergic to the only known medication for his condition.

The vet came up with a novel idea and got in contact with a pharmacist freind of his and they concocted this cream stuff with the medication mixed in and told her to rub so many millimeters of this stuff in his ears every day. After a few adjustments, they got it right and the Smokemiester is still alive and kickin. No more scratchin, but still eats like a horse. He puts back on about a half a pound every 6 months.

Dam cat looks like Bill the Cats 3rd cousin, but he's still kickin! I will hate it when he goes, my wife will go bannanas! Of course, I'll miss him also, but not his pissin in my shower!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 04:26:47 AM by Lizard3 »

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2003, 05:09:04 AM »
Sorry to hear that man.  Growing up I had a cat that had to be put down when he was 17.  I was 18.  Needless to say i grew up with the little guy and i know how much it sucks to have to say goodbye to a best friend.

Just lost another friend about a month back.  My two cats pushed out the screen in my apartment and went AWOL.  Found the one (Thompson Jehovah Chuckledust) pissing off a murder of crows.  The other, (Captain Beauregard SchmooDidley (ret) i couldnt find.  The humane society called just today and said they found a body matching his description and asked me to come in and identify him. To Hell with that.  :(

Sorry dude.

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2003, 05:13:06 AM »
My condolences to those that have lost cherished pets/loved ones.
The greater the sense of loss seems to equal the wonderfulness of their lives with us.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2003, 06:02:47 AM »
:(