Author Topic: NightMare on Net Street  (Read 160 times)

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
NightMare on Net Street
« on: November 24, 1999, 12:01:00 AM »
Sending these to Pyro.

Ping and Tracert performed within 2 minutes of each other @ 09:45 PM PST.  Immediately following exit of game.

Game performance was sluggish. IE 4 secs from click on "hanger" until movement started and flying felt like wallowing in blue Jello.  

Green Beacon the whole time.

I got shotdown once after HO pass, hostile was 1k my six after guns pass.  IE I heard tracers fly past, check damage = none, check six = 1k sep, then heard damage pings

(Edited - <sigh> NetDweeb)  Pyro E-Mail me if my tracert is useful to you.

Hope this helps, bad night on Net Street.

Mino

[This message has been edited by Minotaur (edited 11-24-1999).]

NiteF1yr

NightMare on Net Street
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 1999, 01:10:00 PM »
I'm at work right now so I don't have the trace routes I've been running for the past week and a half but I have gotten similar results as well. For the most part my beacon has stayed green even though I would see warping and several times I would get pinged and killed 45 seconds after the engagement. I wish I knew more about what the trace route info was saying but it has always seemed to point to the verio connection. I usually see the packet loss start in one of the verio servers and then it just spreads from there. I have no doubt something is broke somewhere. I just don't know where it is. I'll run another trace route when I get home tonight and if things are still bad I'll post the results here as well. Maybe somebody who has a better understanding of these things can help us out.

Nite

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
NightMare on Net Street
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 1999, 04:00:00 PM »
First thing I would do is ping 207.218.126.205 (3rd hop) & 206.132.110.129 (your 4th HOP) looks like a router that could be slowing you... Ping them more than once and get the average ping.

If it is still rotten like 800ms or worse take note of it and keep it fresh in your mind for your letter to your ISP...

Your next thing you should do is ping all those high latency routers at Verio.net...  take note of your pings..(I think verio’s pvuo.pvu1.verio.net is your problem and it may take letter to verio.net from your ISP  to resolve this)- case done in a nutshell

Exp: My route to verio.net’s is completely different than yours... In fact the first router to verio for me is a UU-net  connection which is all ATM..

Note though, you have a 2 more hops on Verio's net than I do.(Why, ask verio WTF??) That adds to latency...(same network more travel time for you)

My latency to verio is normal but that doesn’t mean that your traffic to the router (pvuo.pvu1.verio.net) through verio is not over saturated causing all routes after to be mush...

If your using a local ISP you may get this resolved real easy but if you are using some slug ISP like att, aohell, or some other major service they may not have the time to adjust their routing table to stabilize your connection.

Be shure to list all of this information in your letter to your ISP, that way the have backup when they write  verio..  If they  wont help  write   Hightech  creations  as last resort to help resolve this.

Off Topic:

Also be sure your winbox is optimized for your connection Exp.. My is Win98 running a 48k connect with small packets and FIFO buffers are set to lowest setting.  You will lose fewer packets by doing this..  FPS games (halflife, quake) this drops my ping by like 50-100ms..  In AH I have zero disco's and my beacon only flashed once and that was on a Sunday (Sundays are latency days for the net)

Basic network security: be sure not to include complete copies of your tracert on the web for this can used against you, it’s not science fiction..  Information is power and the less info people have about how you are routed the better..

Sorry about the extra babble but you should be aware of this..

This message has not been scrutinized so please save all lame flames..

Regards,

Doctor YO

If you need more info email me at dryoh@hotmail.com

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
NightMare on Net Street
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 1999, 05:03:00 PM »
DoctorYo;

Thanks!

Can same "not science fiction" method of trace be used via e-mail address?

Mino

[This message has been edited by Minotaur (edited 11-24-1999).]

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
NightMare on Net Street
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 1999, 09:50:00 AM »
Actually yes but it would be illegal to due so... lots of factors involved:

if your using AOL its very difficult to trace why?? they have lots of security... if your using mom and pops ISP who have no clue then it could be as simple a finger utility.. and some other things like whois etc..etc..

Be advised though DNS exp. dryoh@hotmail.com is just a Route to the computer via IP address that can be resolved both ways if you have the time patience and time.

dryoh is mailbox , hotmail.com is the actual resolution of DNS to a computer or in this a case a Proxy array.

If im going too fast sorry but if want to learn more about how the net works go to my favorite site www.about.com  (was miningco.com) they have lots of info there on everything. so give it a try..

I learned chemistry the other day even if its a rudimentry level.

Regards,

DoctorYO