Author Topic: Rush is a Fool  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2003, 02:25:22 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
aren't most of ya still sitting in traffic then? :)

Around here, "traffic" is four other cars in front of me at the stop sign. :D
sand

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2003, 02:32:53 PM »
I only live about 10 miles from work, and my direction of travel is counter-commute.  So it's about a 10 minute trip.  :)

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2003, 02:34:41 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
Around here, "traffic" is four other cars in front of me at the stop sign. :D

Heh, and it still takes you 45 minutes to get to work

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2003, 02:43:09 PM »
Originally posted by Sikboy
Heh, and it still takes you 45 minutes to get to work

-Sik

Only if I obey the law. :)
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2003, 03:01:40 PM »
Originally posted by JBA
Maybe they agree

I saw the media clip posted in another thread here. It has the statement and the discussion. Tom Jackson had a bit to say and Steve Young even disagreed with him.

My take... good discussion completely overblown out of proportion.

I don't like Rush, but he should have stuck to his guns and stayed at ESPN. In my book, he loses points for running away and playing the "liberal biased media victim" card.
sand

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2003, 03:02:50 PM »
Anyone who has taken Rush seriously over the years is half-witted in my opinion.  He's entertainment, not information.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2003, 03:22:52 PM »
Sterling isn't on the show anymore, Michael Irving replaced him.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2003, 03:30:39 PM »
actually, if you take the replay, at the moment we all figure out what's going on, those guys flinch, cover their mouths with a "Holy toejam" look on their faces.

The sports media is weird.  One the one hand, they don't have the pretentions to objectivity that news outfits claim, and yet they make a good deal of their hay on opinionated idiots commenting on issues they know nothing about.
At the same time, there are people who take their job seriously, and who see themselves as news professionals who cover sports issues.
And all of this is to cover a sports world that's the oddest collection of a group of players who are there on athletic merit, some of whom become overhyped superstars and who are managed by one of the most visible old-boys-network out there.

Still, I'm sure that when someone in ESPN decided to bring in Rush Limbaugh, there was a great deal of resistance.  After all, in the "opinionated prettythang" category, there are plenty of people with a sports background.  Rush's qualifications have nothing to do with sports competence: he's just there to be an prettythang and make money. So I'm sure this misstep made many folks in ESPN upset who didn't think he should have been there to begin with.  Add to that the fact this is a network that often has all-black anchors on sportscenter, and even a female calling football play-by-play, and slipping out a comment like that is going to piss people off.

Rush's radio m.o. is to take the right-wing p.c. line ("Political Correctness" = "adhering to a popular body of doctrine without understanding the reasoning behind it"), and cover his ignorance by appealing to popular prejudices.  That works on the radio, preaching to the choir, but bring it to the morning football discussions, and you're in a world of hurt.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2003, 03:54:25 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Anyone who has taken Rush seriously over the years is half-witted in my opinion.  He's entertainment, not information.

When an idiot "entertainer" makes racist remarks, it is not halfwitted to take them seriously. Especially when the idiot entertainer has a huge audience of half witted listeners.  

No One Told Rush Limbaugh There’d Be Colored People

Upon futher review, I think Rush was just being stupid instead of racist on ESPN. He is however, a racist.

As to the allegation that there are too few voting precincts in minority areas for the 10/7 recall Limbaugh said that location “didn’t matter since blacks and Hispanics were bused to precincts anyway”.

He once told a Black caller to his radio show to “take that bone out of your nose and call me back.”

“Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”

In 1992, on his now-defunct TV show, Limbaugh expressed his ire when Spike Lee urged that black schoolchildren get off from school to see his film Malcolm X: "Spike, if you're going to do that, let's complete the education experience. You should tell them that they should loot the theater, and then blow it up on their way out."

In a similar vein, here is Limbaugh's mocking take on the NAACP, a group with a ninety-year commitment to nonviolence: "The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."
When Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) was in the U.S. Senate, the first black woman ever elected to that body, Limbaugh would play the "Movin' On Up" theme song from TV's "Jeffersons" when he mentioned her. Limbaugh sometimes still uses mock dialect -- substituting "ax" for "ask"-- when discussing black leaders.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2003, 04:11:53 PM »
Around here, "traffic" is four other cars in front of me at the stop sign.

ditto.. well ok.. maybe only 1 car on a bad day.
and there's no stop sign on the way to work...
but there is one on the way home..  

actually there is a problem with little to no commute...
the car never warms up

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2003, 04:31:53 PM »
To get to the heart of the matter.

Rush should go on the O'Reilley factor and let Bill sort this all out.

After all O'Reiley is looking out for us, and he did win not just one but two prestigious Peabody awards for accurate news reporting while he was on Inside Edition.

Let Rush tell his story, and let O'Reilley stop the spin!

Offline AHGOD

• Nickel Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2003, 04:52:08 PM »
I like Rush.  Good band back in the 80's

Offline Twist

• Nickel Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2003, 06:20:28 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
When an idiot "entertainer" makes racist remarks, it is not halfwitted to take them seriously. Especially when the idiot entertainer has a huge audience of half witted listeners.  

No One Told Rush Limbaugh There’d Be Colored People

Upon futher review, I think Rush was just being stupid instead of racist on ESPN. He is however, a racist.

Your from Rio Linda aren't you? :D
Razer

Hellcat FG

"They porked the Hellcat? Why did they do that?"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2003, 06:35:55 PM »
What were Sterling Sharpe and Tom Jackson doing? No rebuttal... nothing?
=====
I have heard that one of them said that rush "had a point".  Dont know which one though.  Could check to see if anyone has a transcript.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline k2cok

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2003, 06:36:11 PM »
"Spike, if you're going to do that, let's complete the education experience. You should tell them that they should loot the theater, and then blow it up on their way out."

-- the racist Pigboy, attacking Spike Lee in 1992, on his now-defunct TV show, expressing his ire when Spike Lee urged that black schoolchildren get off from school to see his film Malcolm X:

"The NAACP should have riot  rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."

-- the racist Pigboy, attacking the NAACP for associating with black Americans

The hardcore Dittoheads will undoubtedly see this as an attempt by a liberal to take down a conservative icon.