Author Topic: why do you choose to fly the planes you fly?  (Read 665 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
why do you choose to fly the planes you fly?
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2001, 01:05:00 PM »
La7, its a Shark!

I don't try to swim with the school of spits/niki's, just make slashing attacks in & out, take shots at whatever gets in front of you.

It suits my style, gets me out of WAY more scrapes than it should. Has decent guns once you learn them. (Still flying with the 2 ShVaks here)

It's also slowly teaching me to be a much better E fighter overall.

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
 P-47D-25, think god for it as the 38 was driving me insane here. It treats me right. All it does is smash and slash, like some pissed off warthog with a serious bad attitude. Man, it just fits me and I understand it.
 When I get the urge I hop in my 38 and I gotta admit the 47 helps with 38 flying...but I'm a 47 convert in AH.... niceeeeeee pigggy.

xBAT

[This message has been edited by batdog (edited 05-17-2001).]
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »
Ghosth - why do you take the ShVak's over the B20s? I've always thought 3 guns are better than 2.  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2001, 02:36:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dowding:
Ghosth - why do you take the ShVak's over the B20s? I've always thought 3 guns are better than 2.  

I use the ShVak's as well. I can't hit the proverbial barn with the B20's and I have yet to figure that one out.

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2001, 06:26:00 PM »
I fly quite a few different planes...

P-38. Because I love that plane. It's beautiful. And because the feeling when you shoot someone down with it is really good.

Hellcat. Handles nicely, except for a weird snap stall. It has six machine guns. It dives like a bat out of hell. And it's big, almost as big as some dive bombers. And it's BLUE :-D.

Spit IX. Cause she's pretty, and she's nice to me when I fly her. It's always disappointing to die in one though.

Zero. Because it's so much FUN! And because I don't get that obscure sense of guilt that comes from the Spit, since I know that if I get hit by so much as a lugie, she's gonna blow up.

Yak9U. She's fast, she's fun, and most of what she can't outrun, she can turn with. Not the La7 though. Also, she improves my aim.

Recently, I've been trying to get into flying the Pony a bit, which is hard, and now the F4U-1D, which seems like a sweet plane so far.

------------------
"E's bound to be guilty, or 'e wouldn't be 'ere!
Starboard gun! FIRE!
Shootings to good for 'im, kick the louse out!
Port gun! FIRE!"
- Old chant used to time saluting of guns on ships

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2001, 06:43:00 PM »
I fly the Jug, mostly the P-47-25. I really like the plane. I have always liked it. Since I was a kid (Loooooong time ago).

I grew up in Brasil so that is one reason I like the -25 over the -30 but I have also found that it seems to handle better for me also. Feels a bit lighter and seems to turn a bit better.

I don't do that well in it, but then I don't do that well in anything  .

I am a fairly large person ( 235 lbs, 6'2") and the Jug is a big plane. I guess I feel I could fit in a real one which is another attraction.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

brzwhalr

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2001, 06:48:00 PM »

Originally posted by Apache:
I use the ShVak's as well. I can't hit the proverbial barn with the B20's and I have yet to figure that one out.

I fly La7 with the 3 cannon option.  Gotta get within D400 and dead 6 to kill with any certainty, though you can get the occasional good snapshot with them.

I guess I just love the look of the La7, all menacing with the mottled camo scheme.  I also fly the P51D and Typh.  P51 cause it's sleek and sexy and the Typh because it's fast and a brute.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2001, 07:04:00 PM »
I fly the Tiffie... everything is just another target.

Offline Hamish

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2001, 08:30:00 PM »
Well, When i was flying regularly, and not out at sea, I flew whatever tickled my fancy that day, or, if i had a specific goal in mind, i'd pick a plane that did that job well. And of course when my squadies was on, i'd generally fly whatever they were flying, makes winging up easier that way.
  Being that i am in the Navy, and grew up watching Black Sheep Squadron like some of the others around here, i've always had a soft spot in my heart for The Corsair, And almost all Navy planes in general. There's just something beautiful about that BLUE. Besides, while Hang's Pony may be sleek, and beautiful, but the Hawg just plain looks Mean, and Powerful. I can't wait till i can actively fly again, and can do some Pac-scenarios. (and maybe in my wishlist of versions to come, maybe HT will feel like modeling an F8F-1 Bearcat)

<S!>

------------------
Sean "Hamish" Webber

<===<The ASSASSINS>===>
(Inactive Reserve)

[This message has been edited by Hamish (edited 05-17-2001).]

Offline darling

• Zinc Member
      • http://peterson.gm.is
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2001, 09:23:00 PM »
I started out in tour 11 in the CHog. Good newbie plane. Changed to -1D in tour 14. The Hog is just so mean looking.
Then last tour I fell in love with the P-51D. Flew some sorties and got 28/2 K/D in it in 3 days. Never flown it before. Flown it ever since. It can deal with anything if handled right. Only planes I get into trouble with are the Yak and the LA7. I also like to chat while I climb to my combat alt of 28000 feet. Not much above that around. I also love to fly in groups of P-51s, it just looks sooooo cool. Check my sig card  

------------------
2nd Lt. Hogni "Darling" Gylfason
332nd FG "Flying Mongrels"
143rd Pursuit Wing

[This message has been edited by darling (edited 05-17-2001).]