Author Topic: Rotating squads and country changers  (Read 485 times)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Rotating squads and country changers
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »
Caligula writes :
I wasn`t mad or upset when I posted ,it just reflects what I think of people that change over to the winning side, so they can get their sorry kills.

To which, using his own vernacular, I reply:

Bollocks.

The essential reason I joined a rotating squad was precisely to avoid the physcotic "virtual nationalism" prevalent in this game.

I couldn't give a flying monkey's placenta about your silly little virtual war over a silly little imaginary map. It represents nothing and nobody, with Allied planes attacking Allied buffs, and Axis planes defending them.

I fly to fight. In the MA, who I fight is irrelevant, as is the outcome; it's just practise for scenarios. I salute the good fights, try to learn and raerly consider the "strategic situation", it doesn't matter to me. If there's asny thing I want to "take", it's people, such as Drex (I wish), Mitsui (maybe in my next life) or even better a squad mate who's forgotten that we've just switched countries.

If you took your foot out of your mouth for a second, you'd surely realise that if you're into score padding, the most efficient way would be to change to the smaller country down to three bases, the envoiroment is exponentialy target richer. Just up in a Macchi and take a few high perk point planes with you...instant point gratification.

I spit on you "patriots", and blow my nose in the general direction of "war games".

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2001, 11:10:00 AM »
We will have numbers soon , unless rotators decide they would rather kill knights that squeak about rotators than fly with those Knights

<SALUTE> to those non-Rotator squads

this post is not ment to be a personal attack on any person or squad  

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2001, 11:44:00 AM »
Ah.. ok.. lets start with the <S> to non-rotating squads thing again.

Sigh

One night this tour, rooks were being hit hard by the bish and the knits.  We were down to about 5 bases and someone had taken out our Dar just before I logged in.  The rooks took it as a slap in the face and responded apropriately with attacks on both the knits and bish.

Before the Dar came back up, the Rooks had recaptured 6 bases, lost two.. then recaptured them too.  The roll began as the rooks moved through knit and bish territory.  

The knits were somewhat easier to handle because as things began to turn in our favor, the knits logged off.  Even teams turned increadibly lopsided.  This wasn't caused by rotating squads.  There may have been some side changers.. but one thing is for sure... quite a few of those "that don't rotate tours" simply logged off when it got tough.  The knits went from having 50 players to having 19 in a matter of 1 hour.

So... classify however you want... just don't come off as if one is more noble than the other.  None of the AK (who rotate tours) logged off when Rook dar went down and we were getting hit from both sides.

AKDejaVu

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2001, 11:53:00 AM »
errrr. Tom?  Take it easy mate....it wasn't that long ago that our beloved KG200 changed from Rooks to Knits, like 3 months or so.
Country changers? sheeeeeit, we're as guilty as you get  

<S> Blue

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2001, 12:34:00 PM »
Bah.

I'm a knight, I do not log.

I fight it out, and the enemy perishes.

For base defence, the Zeke owns everything.

For offensive operations, a combination of a large bad word vocabulary and a 109G10 strikes terror into the heart of the enemy.

Come get some  

------------------
Von Santa
Staffelkapitän 9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you return from a mission with a victory, but without your Rottenflieger, you have lost your battle."
- D. Hrabak, JG 54 "Grünherz"

brzwhalr

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2001, 03:09:00 PM »
Sheesh.  The knits were down to one player when I logged on on Friday night: me.  I didn't log, kept fighting, got joined by BigUC eventually.  Numbers were about 30 to 2 bishrook to knit.  We didnt prevent the reset but we made it costly.  Who cares what the numbers are as long as you can blow stuff up...

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2001, 03:11:00 PM »
it is fun to go to the country that is gettin' whooped. makes the battle more meaningful.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2001, 03:15:00 PM »
Santa and brzwhalr....

Not everyone logs off.  Even in the above snapshot.. there were still 21 players on.  What it doesn't adequately represent is just how rapidly the knit numbers dropped from even to so low.

...and it wasn't because of any squad rotating tours.

AKDejaVu

Offline Degas

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2001, 07:32:00 AM »
If I remember the night right, the Knights found themselves in the position that Rooks enjoy on a seemingly constant basis:  Both Bishops and Rooks were attacking the nits with only occasional small battles elsewhere.

The comment I read several times from Knights on the open channel was "screw this, I'm going to the DA".  Pretty soon, POOF, very few Knights in the MA.

I remember when this tour started, Rooks went from being constantly outnumbered, to having the advantage every time I logged in.  It actually made me feel bad at times, until I realized that we still couldn't work as a team  

Now, in mid-tour, the numbers have switched to the Bishops.

The whole thing makes me wish for a full-time arena with only two sides.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2001, 09:12:00 AM »
Why would a 2 sided arena be any different?

No, I think what could help is some of the perk system things that are possible or a score multiplier.  The easiest would likely be something like when any country gets down to X number of bases, they get perk planes for free.  Even better, a perk point multiplier based on the number of folks on the other team.  In that way, those wanting to rack up the perkies would want to fly for the side with the LEAST number of folks online.  I think it would help to dynamically balance the sides.

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Oosik

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2001, 10:20:00 PM »
Glad to know I'm at the top of 1 list  

Offline darling

• Zinc Member
      • http://peterson.gm.is
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2001, 05:37:00 AM »
I have a lot of respect for one of the squads that country-change (<S> AK), but I don't really condone it as such. But it's your $30.

I love flying versus heavy odds, so I don't really mind the nits' low numbers lately, but people exiting and changing teams cuz it's "too hard" is just sad. My only problem is that missions are hard as hell to populate with only 30 countrymen. So I just ask that country-jumpers try to consider where they move next tour, so the numbers are about equal. I know it's impossible to keep numbers even all the time, but a general eveness in numbers can't be that hard to maintain.

------------------
2nd Lt. Hogni "Darling" Gylfason
332nd FG "Flying Mongrels"
143rd Pursuit Wing

Offline Degas

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2001, 07:24:00 AM »
I think you're on the right track, Leph.  But the perk points need to be worth something, first.  And I am not supportive at all regarding the selective perking of planes/GV's.

I think there is real promise in the idea of assigning a cost to ALL equipment in the arena.  See Niblitz' post 'PERK EVERYTHING'.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2001, 12:53:00 PM »
I see....

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2001, 01:10:00 PM »
Lephturn has it right.. good idea.