Author Topic: what kinda gun do you bring to a beetle fight?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
what kinda gun do you bring to a beetle fight?
« on: October 21, 2003, 10:14:07 AM »
Well.. after all the BB "discussions" about hanguns in the good ol USA...

beetle and "tomato" showed up at my hovel yesterday and wanted to go shooting.

So what kinda guns would you bring?   I knew I could go out to work and shoot into some 14' berms that were on three sides..  I wanted variety and interesting guns but I was working with people who had limited (read none) experiance with firearms and no understanding about how handguns worked.

Luckily I had two pairs of ear muffs with electronics so that they could hear me.

What to shoot?  well... my selection.... an EAA witness 45 with the .22 conversion installed (this becomes in effect, a full size and weight double action semi auto shooting a very mild round)...  Next, The Kimber eclipse custom 1911 clone in 45 acp.   And last... for sheer outlandishness.... the Dan Wesson in 44 mag with full underlug on an 8" barrel.

The 22 was a huge hit.   I would say that they both looked a little relieved after firing it with it's mild pellet gun like recoil.   It is allso extremely accurate and good for first timers confidence.

The 45...  Like all 1911's it twisted in his hand and caused him the most problems.   Recoil disengages new shooters brains..  it is common.   We were careful tho and they bothj followed instructions well.... no trajedies were recorded.

The 44.... This is a huge gun at 64 ounces.  The method to my madness was that with that much weight the recoil of the 44 magt round is "moderated".... even so... bettle claimed he felt the recoil in his jaw even.  The gun would lift clear out of his off hand every round and he would rock back about a half a step.   some discomfort of the shooting hand was noted...

Ok... so.. basic saftey out of the way... let em have at it.  choose weapon load and fire.   beetle was partial to the 22 ( a very nice gun IMO) and the Kimber (also very nice)   he loaded his own magazines and blasted away.... confidence growing....

side effects.... I had warned tomato that after the shooting session...bettle would not be the cold englishman she knew... plus, as any handgunner knows, simply firing the 44 mag increases male length at least 4 inches..  I am sure that they stopped at a motel long before their intended stop that day.  

Unfortunately... as I told beetle and tomato... the effects of shooting are short lived and without further shooting he will revert to.... well.... british.. within a month.  The self confident swagger will be gone ...

lazs

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Re: what kinda gun do you bring to a beetle fight?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 10:20:47 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
So what kinda guns would you bring?  

I wouldn't. I'd bring a couple of spear-wielding Amazon warriors.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 10:21:23 AM »
LOL! Dammit Lazs, I've been using your quotes for weeks now! Funny chit!

WTG Beetle, Tomato!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 10:32:02 AM »
no... see gofaster...   this was all done outdoors.. real people were involved.   While it was exciteing... u probly wouldn't like it since you wouldn't have a "free hand"... both were needed to shoot.

Oh, rip... did I tell ya that one of my guns made beetle bleed?   he was pretty brave tho... said it was only a flesh wound.   He was really macho-ing up there towards the end... even started to lose his accent... well... it was sounding less effeminate towards the end at least.

lazs

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 10:39:22 AM »
Becoming more manly is something that happens when you shoot government models by necesity.  Your wrist has to firm up to handle the recoil.

;)

Offline Godzilla

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 10:49:43 AM »
Did Beetle look at all like Dirty Harry when he was shooting the 44 mag? :)

Sounds they had fun.

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 10:52:44 AM »
A non-mean-spirited firearms instructor would have instructed his student to grip the pistol very firmly and make sure it was snug against the webbing between his thumb and forefinger, thus preventing the described injuries.  Clearly you wanted to see Beet1e bleed.  I suppose he deserves it for associating with a cruel fellow like yourself.

Hooligan

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 11:08:20 AM »
Originally posted by Hooligan
A non-mean-spirited firearms instructor would have instructed his student to grip the pistol very firmly and make sure it was snug against the webbing between his thumb and forefinger, thus preventing the described injuries.  Clearly you wanted to see Beet1e bleed.  I suppose he deserves it for associating with a cruel fellow like yourself.

Hooligan

LOL! :lol

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 11:19:45 AM »
"firm grip" and beetle are not compatible.    
lazs

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 11:23:41 AM »
Oh, rip... did I tell ya that one of my guns made beetle bleed? he was pretty brave tho... said it was only a flesh wound. He was really macho-ing up there towards the end... even started to lose his accent... well... it was sounding less effeminate towards the end at least.

it's good for him, that way he can have a story when he talks about it.  otherwise it'd just be "I shot guns".  my first time with anything bigger than a .22 (my fathers .41 mag, 6 yrs old) the recoil brought it up and hit me dead center on the forehead, leaving a very stupid looking forward sight imprint for me to explain at school for the next week or so.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 11:24:34 AM »
LOL

Great post, Lazs

No rifles?  Just a handgun guy?

Of all the guns Ive had, my favorite sill has to be my 10/22 Ruger...light, fun to fire and straight-on accurate.  AR-15 comes in a close 2nd

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 11:45:02 AM »
Ah, Beatle fell victim to the dreaded 1911 'hammer pinch' I presume?

Sounds like you guys had a blast (no pun intended).  :D

So Beatle - give us your first hand (no pun intended, again) account of the festivities?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 01:00:32 PM »
beetle won't be back until Sunday so we can make fun of him at our leisure.

Ididn't let anyone get bit by slides.  I think he cut it on the slide serations trying to chamber a round.
lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 01:22:14 PM »
beetle won't be back until Sunday so we can make fun of him at our leisure.

Ididn't let anyone get bit by slides.  I think he cut it on the slide serations trying to chamber a round.
lazs

Soft hands...typical Pommie.

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
Re: what kinda gun do you bring to a beetle fight?
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2003, 01:28:38 PM »

...as any handgunner knows, simply firing the 44 mag increases male length at least 4 inches..  I am sure that they stopped at a motel long before their intended stop that day.  

Unfortunately... as I told beetle and tomato... the effects of shooting are short lived and without further shooting he will revert to.... well.... british.. within a month.  The self confident swagger will be gone ...

lazs

:D