Author Topic: Welcome to Angels High  (Read 413 times)

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2000, 10:05:00 AM »
I agree with Mosby, Skernsk, etc...  I have no problem with a public language filter.  I don't like seeing that its on the squad channels.  As I posted in another thread, we can filter the language we see on the squad channel with the admit, eject and leave your squad functions.

Gordo
Fat DRUNK Bastards!

[This message has been edited by Lance (edited 09-23-2000).]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2000, 10:35:00 AM »
 I am deeply offended by the shiner bottle. Have you ever tasted that stuff?

The bottleing plants are always built next to stock yards. You can figure it out from there.

Nuku

Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2000, 11:11:00 AM »

Originally posted by jedi:
You HAVE to be able to TYPE offensive language into the text buffer too?  Hey, I curse all the time.  At home. To myself.  Not at the people I'm flying with.  Not at people I don't even know who just happen to be on the same channel.
--jedi

Why not push the filter closer to the FE: right before you receive the message?  Right now, the filter is maintained on the host by an *undefined* set of moral standards (e.g. "ass" is illegal; "squeak" is ok - wha?).

The operative word is you all don't want to "hear" foul language: not "speak" foul language.  Further, the sensitivity to various words differs from person to person.  I was raised thinking "ass" and "damn" are ok, but "squeak" is a level worse.  Others gasp at that line of thought.

Having your FE monitor incoming messages rather than the host gives you better control, AND allows red-faced jerks to vent all they like: you just don't hear them. And that's what you wanted right?  You can't enforce a behavior through this censor.

I push for a real *filter*, placed on the Rx end of a user's FE, rather than a host-maintained censor.  It pisses off no one, and allows YOU to control the level of language YOU *hear*, without some arbitrary committe (i.e. AH) determining what is profane or not.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2000, 11:35:00 AM »
The real sad thing here is that we, as a community, even had to have this type of action taken.

Make way for the Choirboys!!

The problem dosen't start with child eyes seeing bad words, the problem starts when adults act like children. It is so easy to aviod it is almost silly.

There is nothing wrong with being rude and crude, but you should not be socially unacceptable!

If your actions are upsetting 2 or 3 people out of 1000 then it may be the fact that those few are so-called "anally retentive".  
But if your actions are upsetting hundreds of fellow players then maybe you should re-evaluate your style of communication!!

Have a nice day!    

------------------
Swager
GeschwaderKommodore I/JG2~Richthofen~[/i]

"Damn.....I can't believe I missed that shot!!!"

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 09-23-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Renfield

Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2000, 12:26:00 PM »
Nuku, HTC is hardly some "arbitrary committee". They own and run AH and can do so in any way they choose.

The filter is exactly where it ought to be and as implemented discourages the ones who feel the need to vent profanely. Putting it on the server also makes it more acceptable to parents who allow their kids to play - kids who would also be likely to purge the list to hear things their parents didn't want them to hear and to run with their perception of the big dogs and cus up a storm too.

To put it at the client end forces the client to do the checking (obviously) which is just more load especially if someone feels the need for a long list. It puts the onus exactly where it shouldn't be.

Unfortunately the longer the list on the server, the more the server has to do which affects everyone. But this was brought on by the ones who couldn't control themselves.

Had we been self-policing, there would not have been a need. If we aren't self-policing, that list on the server will grow. You think there is "censorship" now, just keep pushing and force the issue.

What is so hard about cussing at your monitor in the privacy of your own home and not taking the extra effort to type it into the radio?

Nuku

Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2000, 02:16:00 PM »

Originally posted by Renfield:
Nuku, HTC is hardly some "arbitrary committee". They own and run AH and can do so in any way they choose.

That they can, but they must tell us what the rules are if they want us to abide by them.

Do you know exactly which words will get you muted for 10 minutes on ALL channels?

Can I say "Damn fine shooting Renfield!".  Is that worth getting muted for 10 minutes?  Is that the kind of language you were after?

The whole thing is a Pandora's box because of the subjectivity of language.  If I say "Gee, thank a LOT", am I complimenting you or not?

As I pointed out in another thread, the whole thing is rather perverse: parents concerned about kids seeing cuss words in a game where entertainment is derived from shooting other people.

Renfield

Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2000, 05:55:00 PM »
Nuku, they don't have to tell us anything. Period. This is their company, their forum, and their liability for things said in the arena.

Obviously you can terminate your account, too. We all can.

I think you won't see a list of words because that would just encourage people to use other words and the filter would be useless. So, why not see if we can completely defeat the filter and get back to what we really like to do - offend and irritate? That's the ticket.

I completely miss you people's point. Why is it so important to you to be able to cuss?
It was all the cussing that brought this on in the first place. Why not give it a rest?

People were asking others to cut it out for a long time. But noooooo. Certain people felt they had to "express" themselves regardless of who it offended or how. Now that this filter is in place, you guys keep right on provoking.

Is it important to you guys to cause as much trouble and discord as you possibly can?

So what if you get the window after saying "damn fine shooting"? Just watch your typing. I tested the filter, got the window, and kept right on flying. I wasn't booted - because I didn't keep pushing or testing. It is a very simple concept. Give it a try. You might just find that it works.

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2000, 05:41:00 AM »
hi all:

has joemud ever paid, or is he still on the two week trial.

------------------
wolf37
C.O.
THUNDER BIRDS

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2000, 07:25:00 AM »
What a stupid thread.  Fighting over the "right" to be an offensive moron.  Always "rights", never responsibilities.

Grow up.

Cabby

------------------
=44th FS "VAMPIRES"=
"The Jungle Air Force"
Welcome To The Jungle!!!"
Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2000, 09:51:00 AM »
Cabby, you are absolutely right.

AKDejaVu- you are correct when you say it is the intent, not the words that do the harm. Still, I find that for the most part the ones with the intent also seem to use the words. Will removing the words remove the intent? Not entirely, but it sure will go a long way to help.

For those upset about the filter being on squad channel, HT has already said it will be removed from the squad channel soon.

Am I a whiner because I don't want to have to squelch all of my radio channels to avoid listening to morons posturing to the "adult" crowd? I guess so, and I am proud of it. What I can't believe is the "sky-is-falling" crowd that now believe all of their perceived "civil liberties" of AH (whatever that means) are threatened because they wouldn't abide what are very basic rules of community, rules they would be forced to follow if they walked down any American street.

But alas, I know the bulk of the people complaining do understand the point, they just don't seem to care. Being PC (politically correct) and having common decency are two different things.

One final thought; back when the whole pricing structure of this game was discussed there was plenty of debate on the level of the entry price. The critics stated that the $30 would allow so-called "Quakers" (term generally used to describe undesireable elements in flight sims) access and the place would turn into a gutter. Now, I wouldn't advocate a price raise, but one must consider that would have been a harsher "filter" than the simple server-side solution we have now...

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2000, 11:38:00 AM »

But alas, I know the bulk of the people complaining do understand the point, they just don't seem to care

A "bulk" of the people suggested a client side filter.

Like I said, I'm all for a filter.  I just don't like the server side punitive natured filter being used right now.  Instead of simply eliminating the language.. it makes a big deal of it.  It doesn't eliminate all the language a user may find offensive or it eliminates language that a user may not find offensive.  There is no flexibility.

Blindly stick to HTC's current solution.  Afterall, it kinda gets what you want.

AKDejaVu

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2000, 12:04:00 PM »
You need to read deeper into what I am saying. Never have I stated this is the only way to go. What I have said is that it is a way to go, and it is a step in the right direction.

I agree with you too in saying the intent is more important than the words in most cases.

This is becoming confrontational- comments like "Blindly stick to HTC's current solution. Afterall, it kinda gets what you want." make it that way. I'm not blind to anything here, especially your condescending tone.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2000, 12:18:00 PM »

You need to read deeper into what I am saying. Never have I stated this is the only way to go. What I have said is that it is a way to go, and it is a step in the right direction.

And when have I said NO LANGUAGE FILTER?  You are arguing against me wanting it on the client side as opposed to the server side (with punitive actions).  That is all.

Please, feel free to change your argument at any time.

AKDejaVu

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2000, 12:23:00 PM »

Originally posted by Nuku:
As I pointed out in another thread, the whole thing is rather perverse: parents concerned about kids seeing cuss words in a game where entertainment is derived from shooting other people.

And I can't help but wonder how many of those same parents send thier kids into the living room to watch HBO or Showtime or whatever movie channels (or video tapes for that matter) with pg17 or R ratings where the language is the same, but they actually hear it spoken instead of having to read it.

This whole thing is a censorship thing, and I'm totally against it in it's current implementation.  But so be it, I live with it to fly the game (thank God squad chan is gonna be opened soon   )

I still believe the best implementation of this kind of filter is on the client side, with a user defined list of words.  This covers everyone, and let's people filter the words that are offensive to them instead of everyone being covered by 1 person's list.  Things like squad names (FDB comes to mind).  And if someone can't be bothered to spend 3-5minutes editing a text file to ***** out the words they dinnae want to see, then IMO they have right to whine about it.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Welcome to Angels High
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2000, 02:11:00 PM »
I understand you perfectly, and always did.

You say, in effect, that anyone who doesn't listen to you is blindly following. You are saying that you want the filter to be client-side, so everyone may be free to behave however they want without recrimination. You are saying it is the intent of the words, not the language itself, that is important. You are ignoring the fact that it just might be possible that HTC doesn't want the language on their server to begin with.

And no, it doesn't change my argument at all.