Author Topic: Stab/JG301 TA-152H 'Black 13'  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
Stab/JG301 TA-152H 'Black 13'
« on: February 17, 2010, 07:03:09 AM »

After a little adjustment:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:22:31 AM by Mus51 »
Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: Stab/JG301 TA-152H 'Black 13'
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 03:33:34 PM »
Absolutely beautiful!
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 03:49:52 PM »
 :O hope they can use it in the next scenario!!
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 06:10:33 PM »
I like the Ta152, and it's good to see a new skin for the old girl!

I have a couple of suggestions for you though:

1) The flaps are split flaps. They don't rotate down like 109 or p51s, so you wouldn't see a shade/gap/wrinkle on the upper surface of the wing. The upper surface would look like a wing with no flaps at all. Yours has this shading on the ailerons, then continues that shading all the way to the flap root as if the flaps hinge downward.

2) I think your paint is way too heavily weathered.. It looks like there are giant black shadows over the upper wings, and I can't quite tell what's going on with the side-camo-demarcation and the tail mottling... Doesn't look right. Consider that these planes were built, painted, and flown in the time span of only a couple of months. The paint quality might have degraded a bit, the color standards changed, but it was freshly painted not that long ago (relatively speaking, about the real plane) and wouldn't look like it's been in service for 5 years. Just a thought.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:25:06 PM »
I like the Ta152, and it's good to see a new skin for the old girl!

I have a couple of suggestions for you though:

1) The flaps are split flaps. They don't rotate down like 109 or p51s, so you wouldn't see a shade/gap/wrinkle on the upper surface of the wing. The upper surface would look like a wing with no flaps at all. Yours has this shading on the ailerons, then continues that shading all the way to the flap root as if the flaps hinge downward.

2) I think your paint is way too heavily weathered.. It looks like there are giant black shadows over the upper wings, and I can't quite tell what's going on with the side-camo-demarcation and the tail mottling... Doesn't look right. Consider that these planes were built, painted, and flown in the time span of only a couple of months. The paint quality might have degraded a bit, the color standards changed, but it was freshly painted not that long ago (relatively speaking, about the real plane) and wouldn't look like it's been in service for 5 years. Just a thought.
Doesnt need it, already looks great!!! :rock
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:16:53 PM »
I agree with Krusty on the flaps and the way the upper wings look with the black splotches (I think they only need to be toned down a bit maybe), but it looks fantastic.

In every picture I've seen one in, a Ta 152H has always looked like it was in pretty bad shape, despite being relatively new aircraft.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:14:43 PM »
 :aok

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:55:51 AM »
Thanks for the critisism, i will look into the flaps alltho i already sended this one to skuzzy.

About the weathering - All pictures i've seen from the TA152 are very weathered aircraft aswell so hence why i weathered it so much. Also, unweathered skins tent to look cartoonish unless they shine allot.

Here's an example of my skins in other games:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:59:20 AM by Mus51 »
Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 04:50:03 PM »
What game is that?
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 05:34:18 PM »
What game is that?

Flight Simulator 2004
Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 06:22:07 PM »
Oh

:o

DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 06:59:08 PM »
It's not that I don't want it to be weathered. There's just a different way to weather it. Making the paint corroded or blackened just doesn't look right. I'm more for a dirt/grime/stains type of weathering on this plane, than I am for "the paint is old" style of weathering.

Don't take this as an insult, just a discussion on 152 weathering. I hold your work in high esteem in general.

Just for example, some Ta152s during the war:

You see the paint/mottling is fairly steady on the upper surfaces. The lowers are a bit less-so, but this looks more like stains and such than paint issues (see the stain on the flaps just about where the wheels might kick up dirt, or possibly where hydraulics leaked backwards from the gear joint onto the flap? See the drips downward from the exhausts on the chin panel, looks like he leaked a bit!)

Green 4. You can see the deliberate mottling patterns to obscure the sides. These aren't faded and dirty, just painted in a specific way. See the repainted tail area. Again, fairly consistent paint quality. Note again the grime/muck underneath, but also note that the airframe is generally clean (see the shine underneath the wingtip, the gear doors, etc -- looks like only the leaks/stains are the dirty areas)

Swinging the compass:

Possibly an H-0, but as you can see there's a criss-cross pattern on the mottling that from a distance may look dirty, smoky, muddy, but is more of a deliberate paint pattern. They mottled the sides for camo, rather than left them so dirty it just became camoflagued. Much cleaner sides and undersurfaces (oddly enough, the black box around the exhausts reminds me of JG2's 109s and some 190D-9s later).

An earlier prototype or a 152C model (note the short-span wings) you can see how this one is late-war because of the unpainted parts of the lower wing (like some Doras). Note that it's got leakage under the exhausts (looks a bit stained there) and the giant exhaust plume stains, but overall is in good paint condition.

Just some food for thought. The paint just didn't break down that fast in the 1-2 months these planes were around. (IMO)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:01:48 PM by Krusty »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 07:17:04 PM »
Not sure I would use the first two pics as a source as they were captured aircraft that had allied markings & they repainted them again with German not to sure what would be original & what is not.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 08:46:32 PM »
Not sure I would use the first two pics as a source as they were captured aircraft that had allied markings & they repainted them again with German not to sure what would be original & what is not.

But couldn't you use them as a source of weathering as was being pointed out in the post?  Wear and tear due to use?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 09:18:52 PM »
But couldn't you use them as a source of weathering as was being pointed out in the post?  Wear and tear due to use?

wrongway
Possibly?