Author Topic: spit 8 vs ?  (Read 2127 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: spit 8 vs ?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 12:08:19 PM »
I only made a few training films attempts for my squad but I remember one of these two as being very helpful to some of our newer players. I think I made them in 2008 but should still play on the currant viewer.

I can't see whats on the film from this computer but I do remember both were made using a Spit 8

The first is called lag pursuit and the second is about throttle management....They may be the same film with Lag pursuit being the long version and throt management being the meat.

Throttle management is VERY IMPORTANT when fighting any enemy and believe thats the one the guys liked most. It's not professional but there is plenty you can learn from it.

http://download850.mediafire.com/4q3e5creonzg/2tkntkwwzjm/%231lag+pursuit.ahf

http://download849.mediafire.com/4fo1v68ajmkg/ibb1zdettzm/%233Throt+manage-lag+pursuit.ahf

These 2 are on how to remove someone from your 6

http://download848.mediafire.com/unue74s7n75g/ztztd0qzzfm/%232Remove+Lance+from+6.ahf

http://download391.mediafire.com/jvr55be554rg/wkvwkg5mmtw/Lance+said+I+ho%27ed+him.ahf

And this one is just for fun but i use all my skills to stay alive with no gas and many bandits killing 5 in an FM-2  GREAT PLANE BTW, try it out someday.

http://download388.mediafire.com/mpbf1e2ka4hg/ynny2jblvn4/fm2+5kills.ahf

Multiple boogies a few kills but I stay alive in FM-2.. I wish I had the film of making 12 kills in one sortie using an FM-2..was my best run in one ever.

http://download555.mediafire.com/j3cxtom4h2og/5ztezjnduhn/I+don%27t+run+or+stir_.ahf

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 01:06:21 PM »
Being brand new I hope I dont get the RTFM but heres my question:  I'm trying to get a handle on which aircraft I can fight with the Spit 8 as I learn the game.  I read the aircraft comparisons but I want to make a cheat sheet so I don't waste my time in futile battles. I would like to know which planes to avoid or remain defensive/runaway from.  Assuming the bandit is a slightly better pilot what planes in 3 categories of fight, (energy, stall, bnz,) should I just avoid.  So far my list has the KI84 the F4u-1c and the LA7.  I've been referring to soda's pages but I feel I could really benefit from the opinions of experienced pilots.  Eventually I want to create a reference for myself and any other new pilots about how to fight the spit 8 specifically against all the other planes. If this has already been done I'm sorry but I haven't found it.  Thanks all

Pembquist, as other posters have mentioned, your choice of the Spit 8 as a good generalist plane that can stand up to a wide variety of opponent airframes is a good one. I think it's also a valid approach to mix it up with a variety of planes and pilots.  Personally, I have gone up against a 262 in my FM2 and managed a kill (I was pedaling really fast...  :D), so all things are possible. 

However, from what I understand, it seems that you're seeking a workable way to determine where you have a fair chance of winning or when it's time to "git," before you commit to the engagement and I think that it's a valid question. 

Our squad CO, Rapier (also an AH Trainer), recently wrote down some thoughts about that, which I turned into a little training tip and put on our website.  It's a short but helpful read that I think you'd find useful:

http://www.musketeers.org/?p=191

I think that an ability to assess as many variables of the fight accurately as you can before you're committed to it, coupled with your growing knowledge of plane versus plane performance capabilities, will give you what you're seeking (if I accurately read the intent of your questions).

FWIW,
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:34:38 PM by Wraith_TMS »
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »
Thank you Wraith. You got to the heart of my question. I guess I should have said "imagine its a real war, what would you tell a new pilot to do? (assuming you don't want his bunk or shoes or whatever.)  I guess a refinement would be to talk about the other planes in terms of my weaknesses as a pilot instead of the spitfire.  I wonder if there are certain weaknesses that new pilots share broadly that might translate into weakness in particular points of flying and then bad odds against certain planes.  My big weakness is SA/eyes on, (yes I've got my views modified I just spaz out in the heat of battle,) so that probably covers everything.   
Pies not kicks.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 06:38:53 PM »
The two biggest problems I see new players have other than SA, is greed, and over controlling the plane.

Greed because they pull and pull to get a shot only to blow all their E and end up a sitting duck. Fly for position first, once you have position then move in for the shot, if the shot is not there fly yourself back into position while bleeding the E of your opponent. Don't dump all your E for a shot that may not get the job done. This is where knowledge of the different planes will help you in making the correct decision.

Over controlling because when someone gets behind a newbie they normally make violent flight control movements. They pitch up hard then turn hard. trying to pull the nose around for a shot. All this does is bleed your E, and leave you vulnerable to getting popped.  First thing to do is assess the situation. How far back is he, is he higher or lower than me, is he gaining on me or am I pulling away. Again this is where knowledge of the different plane types will come in handy giving you an idea of how best to defeat you opponent. I know that it can be difficult to take the time to look around and see what is going on when you feel that you are about to be shot from the sky, but nine times out of ten things aren't really as bad as you first perceived, and making an informed decision can mean winning the fight, and the tenth time, well if he's that close on your six you're probably going to die anyway.

Lastly, there is no easy way, it takes time and practice. Learning the strengths and weaknesses of each plane and how best to defeated them in most situations, or being able to judge E states aren't things that most people pick up quickly.  So don't get discouraged every fight is a learning experience, and believe it or not you learn more from the ones you lose than you do the ones you win. I've been doing this for a long time and I'm still learning new things. Fly your plane a lot, learn how to fly the edge, and how to recover when you've taken it too far beyond the edge. Learn what it feels like when it's heavy and what it feels like when it's light. Stall and spin it in every possible configuration until you can recover without breaking a sweat.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:44:25 PM by SIK1 »
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 01:10:18 AM »
The only piece of advice I would add is to learn the capabilities of the aircraft you will be facing so you can know what tactics to employ when facing them.  While not cut and dry, it's good to know the strengths and weaknesses of your opponents.  Visit the Plane evaluation site or mess around with DoKGonzo's aircraft comparisons, both can be found on your new best friend, the trainer's page.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 02:19:55 AM »
It's a spit8.... it out-turns everything that outruns it, it outclimbs everything in the game, it outruns all the really nimble stuff that's a threat to it, and it can stay with even the fastest of planes long enough to bring them down in a chase.

It's really one of the most powerful planes in the game. You shouldn't have any problems in it. Just have fun.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
Krusty,

Ki-84s seem to rip them up badly every time they face each other in a CBI setting in an event or in the Axis vs Allies arena.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 02:44:07 PM »
Krusty,

Ki-84s seem to rip them up badly every time they face each other in a CBI setting in an event or in the Axis vs Allies arena.

When I fly the Frank I never seem to have any problems with any of the Spits.  Not sure exactly why, perhaps the Spits hang on to E too well to get angles at speed and when slow the Frank rules with the flaps out.  Just a guess, maybe it's a confidence thing though, I just feel better in the Frank than I do in any Spit.  I'd be interested to fly a bunch of duels with someone where each of us flew both planes half the time.  That might be fairly instructive. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 06:13:41 PM »
When I fly the Frank I never seem to have any problems with any of the Spits.  Not sure exactly why, perhaps the Spits hang on to E too well to get angles at speed and when slow the Frank rules with the flaps out.  Just a guess, maybe it's a confidence thing though, I just feel better in the Frank than I do in any Spit.  I'd be interested to fly a bunch of duels with someone where each of us flew both planes half the time.  That might be fairly instructive. 

That's funny because I find it just the opposite.  I never have a problem killing a Ki-84 when I'm in any Mk Spit.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »
That's funny because I find it just the opposite.  I never have a problem killing a Ki-84 when I'm in any Mk Spit.

Well maybe that's an indicator that it's a confidence thing then.  I've fought you a couple, and I feel like you're a better stck than me, but disreguarding that, how would you feel about running a Spit/KI84 duel experiment with me sometime?  I remember you saying you're working a lot lately, so maybe after Christmas when things slow down for everybody somewhat?   Might be interesting and would definitely be fun.  Just remember to go a little easy on me because I'm not that good yet.

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 10:03:28 PM »
I never said it was unbeatable.. I just said it was one of the most powerful fighters in the game.

And it can deal with Ki84s, yes. Especially when it can fly faster than 450mph without spontaneous flight surface removal.

I fly Ki84s myself. I enjoy them. Against even a halfway decent spitfire you're in for a tough fight. It's do-able, but in this case I think the pilot skill will determine the outcome (not always the case).

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2010, 01:36:26 AM »
the KI-84 is just as deadly as any spit, ive killed many a spit with that KI, heck I perfere the KI over the spit, any spit for that matter, personaly I think its the better plane, but again the pilot is who you are fighting and if you are a noob and just dont understand BFM-ACM it dont mattert what the vet is in he gonna hand ya your butt, thats how you learn listen to what a lot are saying, NEVER ''run'' from a fight, obviously if your bingo go land, but only way to learn is to do.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2010, 01:53:51 AM »
Well maybe that's an indicator that it's a confidence thing then.  I've fought you a couple, and I feel like you're a better stck than me, but disreguarding that, how would you feel about running a Spit/KI84 duel experiment with me sometime?  I remember you saying you're working a lot lately, so maybe after Christmas when things slow down for everybody somewhat?   Might be interesting and would definitely be fun.  Just remember to go a little easy on me because I'm not that good yet.

I'd be glad to fo a few rounds.  I always need the practice playing as little as I do these days but it would have to be a weekend.  Shoot me a PM.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline HellFire

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2010, 05:15:44 AM »
Bravo!  :)  Pls film the duels from both planes so that I could d/l the
films for my edification.  TY  :salute
"In life there is certain death, and between life and death
  there is a journey, hence in truth nothing is lost in death."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Look at it in reverse if I was asking what plane you would pick to kill a spit 8 if you were betting on it, how many of you would pick an f4f? What would you pick?

I would.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."