Author Topic: spit 8 vs ?  (Read 2161 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
spit 8 vs ?
« on: November 29, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
Being brand new I hope I dont get the RTFM but heres my question:  I'm trying to get a handle on which aircraft I can fight with the Spit 8 as I learn the game.  I read the aircraft comparisons but I want to make a cheat sheet so I don't waste my time in futile battles. I would like to know which planes to avoid or remain defensive/runaway from.  Assuming the bandit is a slightly better pilot what planes in 3 categories of fight, (energy, stall, bnz,) should I just avoid.  So far my list has the KI84 the F4u-1c and the LA7.  I've been referring to soda's pages but I feel I could really benefit from the opinions of experienced pilots.  Eventually I want to create a reference for myself and any other new pilots about how to fight the spit 8 specifically against all the other planes. If this has already been done I'm sorry but I haven't found it.  Thanks all
Pies not kicks.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
Re: spit 8 vs ?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 02:23:12 PM »
Keeping in mind here that I'm not really that good my own self:  First I'd say you can fight any plane at all in the Spit8, it's a fine airplane that does a lot of things very well.  Don't bother chasing some of the others if they get to running from you though.  You'll do better in the long run and learn a lot faster if you don't avoid fights, in any situation.  The trick is to learn to fight all kinds of fights, and to transition from one to another at need.  Then you'll find you're prepared for whatever you might run into.  Also, always assume the bandit is a better pilot, and be glad of it.  You only learn by fighting people better than you, or getting yourself into situations that are likely to get you killed and trying to fight your way out of them.  You just aren't going to learn to fight by running. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »
Don't look at it as what planes you should avoid. Look at it like what you need to do in a spit8 to defeat those planes you mentioned. Avoiding a fight just because the plane is superior on paper is detrimental to your learning how to fight.

When you are starting out plan on dieing a lot. Don't be afraid to jump into a fight even if the odds don't favor you. You never know you might surprise yourself and come out on top, and at the very least you improve your SA and plane control.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 04:12:26 PM »
The Spitfire Mk VIII is also one of the better planes in the plane set and quite versatile in both energy and angles fighting.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 04:17:31 PM »
First I'd say you can fight any plane at all in the Spit8, it's a fine airplane that does a lot of things very well. 

Yes!

The 8 is a good allround fighter that is almost always able to find a particular counter vs any plane in it's toolbox. The few planes that really can turn tighter it can often outclimb and generally E fight against them. Against faster planes, it can turn, try to slow down the fight. A few planes are about equal... but equal still means you have all chances to win.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:14:45 PM »
The relative energy states at the start of your encounter can be more important than the "potential" performance of the opposing plane. The pilot makes a big difference.

I recommend that you disable "Stall Limiter" under Options > Preferences > Flight from the clipboard. Get used to flying without it as soon as possible, if you haven't done that already. Having it on limits your Angle of Attack (AoA).

Don't be shy about getting into a fight. You're going to get shot down (everyone does), but every fight is a learning experience that builds a repertoire of circumstances that you can call upon later.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:03:58 PM »
O.K. I understand the Spit 8 is great, flexible, in the hands of a skilled pilot... etc.  I understand you have to fight to learn, I know its about exploiting strengths over weakness, that you can't be afraid to die.....but. If I go to the dueling area or if I am in an area crowded with bandits it seems to me that, being a less skilled pilot, I would probably learn SA and maneuvers faster if I picked an opponent where my crate was not completely outclassed in one regime or another. (E.G. Not get killed instantly.)  It seems to me,(and I realize I might be totally wrong,)that the more powerful planes can dictate the fight more easily because they don't have to slow down to where my superior turn and climb capabilities might give me an advantage.  I understand that if there was a chance of actually getting killed no one would ever give up any speed, this proclivity seems to be enshrined in such quotes as "speed is life".  Whats more I might last a little longer if I didn't have a wall of lead flying at me (re: firepower.)  Look at it in reverse if I was asking what plane you would pick to kill a spit 8 if you were betting on it, how many of you would pick an f4f? What would you pick? 

Regarding the stall limiter I've never had it on, I don't really see the point to it, I'm assuming that it won't let you fly to the verge of departure and being a new pilot I need access to more of the envelope not less.

I don't know how this reads but please don't misunderstand it as contentious or obnoxious that is not how its intended and thank you for all your replies to this newbie.
Pies not kicks.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 09:57:35 PM »
Well if you insist on the DA...talk to some of the more known guys....Check if there are any muppets or pigs or the like on...if they are they will more than likely be having their own duels and are usually willing to accept and help others out these are some of the bestest..funnest times in the DA and they have quality sticks who are willing to offer advice after they have stomped you  :lol :lol no they are actually quite gentle :D...The lake is just what it is....not much to be learn't there when crowded. Come to the MA....ask a few questions ...alot of guys will be willing to have to tag along and give you pointers.....So  stay away from the lake when crowded...heck man...even call somebody out and ask if they want to duel a little and go to your own field.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 10:18:15 PM »
O.K. I understand the Spit 8 is great, flexible, in the hands of a skilled pilot... etc.  I understand you have to fight to learn, I know its about exploiting strengths over weakness, that you can't be afraid to die.....but. If I go to the dueling area or if I am in an area crowded with bandits it seems to me that, being a less skilled pilot, I would probably learn SA and maneuvers faster if I picked an opponent where my crate was not completely outclassed in one regime or another. (E.G. Not get killed instantly.)  It seems to me,(and I realize I might be totally wrong,)that the more powerful planes can dictate the fight more easily because they don't have to slow down to where my superior turn and climb capabilities might give me an advantage.  I understand that if there was a chance of actually getting killed no one would ever give up any speed, this proclivity seems to be enshrined in such quotes as "speed is life".  Whats more I might last a little longer if I didn't have a wall of lead flying at me (re: firepower.)  Look at it in reverse if I was asking what plane you would pick to kill a spit 8 if you were betting on it, how many of you would pick an f4f? What would you pick? 

Regarding the stall limiter I've never had it on, I don't really see the point to it, I'm assuming that it won't let you fly to the verge of departure and being a new pilot I need access to more of the envelope not less.

I don't know how this reads but please don't misunderstand it as contentious or obnoxious that is not how its intended and thank you for all your replies to this newbie.

Well again I'd say that the Spit8 is really and truly a match for anything.  It's fast, not the fastest, but fast nonetheless, it turns well, not the best, but really well, it holds E beautifully, it climbs well and has good guns and visibility.  There's nothing I'd be afraid to get into it with. 

As far as fighting fast planes that dictate the fight, most guys in the arena "dictate" the fight by making one pass then extending 5k or so, or until you turn around from boredom and go looking for someone else.  If you get a guy who's really going to try and bnz you, there are ways to cut into his E advantage and work it to an even fight.  The trick there is to sort of sucker them into fighting your fight and not theirs, make them blow E trying to get a shot on you until before they know it they're in a dogfight and not working you from above. 

As far as looking to pick the right plane, you'll need to fight all of them to get a good feel for your plane's performance vs theirs anyway.  There is no plane to really fear in a Spit8 though man.  Personally for killing them, I like my K4, but I'd answer that the same for what plane to pick against any opponent. 

If you see me in the arenas, give me a shout, I'll gladly hit the DA with you for a while and fight it out.  An hour there will teach you more than a month in the arenas.  Just keep in mind, I'm not that good, I just love to fight.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 10:47:03 PM »
I've been flying Spits as my main ride here and in AW for over 14 years.  The Spits IX, VIII and XVI have advantages that can be exploited against any plane in the plane set.  It's up to you to learn what those advantages are and learn to exploit them.

The Spit's VIII and XVI in particular, while not being the top plane in any category, are near the top in virtually every category.  Pick one; Speed, climb, lethality, turning ability, acceleration, roll rate (more so with the XVI than the VIII), etc.

Either of these planes can make quick work of an La (5 or 7) or an F4U of any variety if flown right.  Your decision to run from these match-ups only means you haven't fought them enough to learn your own strengths and their weaknesses.  More than any other plane these Spits can transition from BnZ to E fighting to stall fighting and back with equal ease and it's why they are often referred to as "easy mode".  They can fight any type of fight required and are quite forgiving if you really mess up.

In conclusion, there's no plane in the set I'd run from or avoid a fight with in the Spit VIII and if that's what you're planning on doing you're going to greatly hamper your development and understanding of your aircraft.  The only situation that you have to be wary of is a high speed BnZ type coupled with a tighter turner two on one aganist you.  The BnZer will get you to turn and the turner will try to eat you up.  Other than that two and three on ones shouldn't be a huge problem if you keep your SA up.

Fly, fight, die, learn, have fun.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 01:17:27 AM »

find me in the DA one day, I will be flying under the name Pavel, I would be happy to teach you some basic ACM and also we can go to the lake and work on your SA, another good place to go would be the TA lots of skilled trainers in there that are more then willing to help you with everything from basic things, to more advanced stuff
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 02:04:46 AM »
You can turn with everything except hurricane, zero and brewster. Use your superior climb rate against them, build a little separation and start the energy-fight. Against ki-84, turn the fight to downhill. F4u-s can fly really slow, but their sustained turn rate isnt as good. You can easily outturn them until they start the rolling scissors, then break from the turn and begin your energy fight.
Good luck!
AoM
City of ice

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 06:21:51 AM »
I'll defer to the standard "it's the man not the machine........."

I've flown the Spit 8 only a few times and where I've gotten myself in to trouble is not in getting the position behind a bandit (pretty easy) but, not being able to "close the deal" and kill him quickly, thereby losing my SA somewhat and getting dragged out of the fight in to his friends.

Planes that can extend from you are not ones you want to continue chasing: F4U, K'4's, 51's, 109D.......If I couldn't kill one right off (I normally fly the F4U) I'd drag it out of the fight and try and kill it that way, If I couldn't do that; odds are a friendly would come along and finish the job for me. It's suprising how some will continue to chase a plane when there is no way to catch it.

It's normally the guy that can survive a little longer and make the least mental (not necessarily maneuver) mistakes that wins the fight. Don't accept HO's, don't fly in to the ack, don't fly in to the pack of bad guys alone....Unless you don't care of course, LOL.

Good luck,

:salute

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 06:30:27 AM »
The Spit 8 is my first love in AH, and you have chosen a plane that can do well against the whole plane set.  There are only a few planes that can flat outclimb it, it turns better than most (not all) of the plane set, and is fast enough to reset against the better turning planes.  It has great performance from the deck to high altitudes.  The biggest bonus that the Spit 8 offers is it's E-building and management capabilities.  It builds E fast, and gives E up very slow.  The double Hispano cannons are killers of any fighter size aircraft.  They simply are the hardest hitting 20mm cannons in the game. 

Look at it on a plane by plane basis for each fight.  Take a P51D: you can outturn it, you can outclimb it, your E holds better than it, but he is faster overall.  So pull him into a fight that the superior speed does not matter.  My suggestion is to climb, or get them to turn.  

Good Luck!

Way
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:32:30 AM by waystin2 »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Online gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 11:32:02 AM »
Pembquist, if you see me or any of The Few on, give them a shout and they'll help ya out. The spit 8 is a versatile machine, capable of fighting and winning against the majority of the plane set. Against a slower, better turning plane, use your e, ie, high and low yoyo's etc, angles to get guns on and all that.

Any of the guys already mentioned (and the majority of those who have answered) can help you out. I'd also strongly suggest getting together with a trainer.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.