Author Topic: Accuracy of new P-40 external models  (Read 4037 times)

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
Accuracy of new P-40 external models
« on: July 27, 2011, 06:25:46 PM »
The preview shots exhibited the problem, now the final release looks the same: something isn't quite right with the nose from the spinner to the chin air intake. Compare some srcreenshots from the game with photos of the real thing. It is very obvious with the P-40B, but the P-40E has similar problems:

I would say just looking at the photos/diagrams that the AH nose diameter is too small, making it look longer and thinner than it should.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:29:00 PM by streakeagle »
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Accuracy of new P-40 external models
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 06:28:59 PM »
Computer screens warp things slightly at all the different resolutions. Perhaps that is what you are seeing?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:31:40 PM »
It is not warping due to field of view, or other planes wouldn't look right either. Specifically, look at the length versus width of the spinner and the attachment area between the spinner and the chin radiator intake. It looks long and skinny compared to the real thing. The P-40E has the exact same issue, but the bigger radiator intake makes it less obvious.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »
The middle comparison looks very similar to me and the top and bottom ones look like they are from different angles in-game and real life, even though similar angles, not exact. I am curious about what you are saying and I am not telling you that you are wrong, I just don't really see anything profoundly different.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 07:40:20 PM »
If anything, the wheels look a little bigger in AH vs RL...
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 08:23:47 PM »
The fuselage spine is too flat. The radiator inlet scoop is too shallow. And, the tires are about 30% too large in diameter.....

The speed and climb model is unchanged... It's still modeled as a P-40C. Likewise, the P-40E retains WEP, which it didn't have in RL.

Handling seems improved, but I haven't had a chance to check turn radius yet.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:26:23 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 08:36:15 PM »
Shouldn't we be comparing it to a set of P-40 plans instead of photos and artists' conceptions? 
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »
It would be a waste of my time to generate line drawings and overlaying them to show the problem. If you can't already see the problem without even looking at a photo, you probably never will. It was obvious to me the moment I saw the preview pics without looking at any photos. My first impression was that the spinner and the section of nose immediately behind it are too narrow compared to the rest of the aircraft, particularly from a side view, but also from a top view. I provided photos to support my observation. This error surprises me as HTC has always provided remarkably accurate shapes up to the limit of the number of polygons they were willing to use. I have used screenshots of HTC aircraft side by side with photos to point out errors of models for other sims. I was extremely happy when HTC originally released the P-40 for AH1. I have been looking forward to an AH2 update for some time.

Obviously, the shape of the nose isn't visible from the cockpit and doesn't matter much for gameplay purposes. But I am still disappointed.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »
I agree with the assessments so far, and will add: On the real B the intake conforms around the curvature of the nose, but on the AH remodel it juts out from it almost as if apart from it. Hard to describe, but on the real B the scoop looks blended in, but on the AH model it seems as if it's slung below the nose which stands on its own, and the shape then looks different to the eye.

I was hoping they'd smooth some of the edges around the intake, too. Seems rather boxy and angular like the old models.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »
I'm just a filthy heathen and I can't see the differences. :D

If it was a mosquito mind you...

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 10:52:25 PM »
Looks to me like the scoop might be too far back as well.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 10:54:44 PM »
Shouldn't we be comparing it to a set of P-40 plans instead of photos and artists' conceptions? 

I have... Neither P-40 is as accurate in shape as what it replaced.... Moreover, I cannot understand why they didn't look at the performance model....
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »
Judge for yourselves...

IMHO, it isn't even close.

Upper photo is actual AVG Tomahawk, below is new P-40B...

My regards,

Widewing

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 11:31:57 PM »
Not disagreeing about the divergence, but...that top image looks like a painting, not a photo to me, Widewing.

The nose definitely doesn't match though.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 12:15:14 AM »
Not disagreeing about the divergence, but...that top image looks like a painting, not a photo to me, Widewing.

The nose definitely doesn't match though.

It's a painting based upon a B&W photo. Very accurate.

Here's some other photos...

My regards,

Widewing