Author Topic: Dora damage  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
Re: Dora damage
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »
Any one have a radiator leak on lancs?
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »
Anyway, anyone have ever got a radiator hit on the pony?

I tried setting up some tests flying through ack pony vs d9 but the only thing I found out is the faster you are the less likely you are to take hits  :bhead

It might be more to do with the flying style in the MA were nearly everyone trys a quick head on rudder squirt in the merge that the D9 suffers, it only takes 1 50. cal round from 1k or more to end your flight, in the pony the rad is under the belly and therefore less likely to get the 'old head on' damage.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 07:28:34 PM »
Slightly off topic save, but what gun package in the A8 do you usually use, and do you bother with burning the aft tank first?

And If I may ask, why?

i use the 4*20 package for up to 90% of my missions.

i almost always take 100% fuel and i burn them default

aux aft fwd.

4*20 mm is best if you like to snipe at distance, not close amd

personal, like my squaddie, Kovel, who use 30mm

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 01:21:13 AM »
I tried setting up some tests flying through ack pony vs d9 but the only thing I found out is the faster you are the less likely you are to take hits 

It might be more to do with the flying style in the MA were nearly everyone trys a quick head on rudder squirt in the merge that the D9 suffers, it only takes 1 50. cal round from 1k or more to end your flight, in the pony the rad is under the belly and therefore less likely to get the 'old head on' damage.
This might explain something if the Dora's radiator would be one big circle. Luftwhine alert  ;)
AoM
City of ice

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 02:31:57 AM »
I get rad hits in the pony all the time. If I get hit at all it's always a gun hit, oil, or rad. I believe the gun modules of the cannons of LW aircraft are particularly sensitive to hits because of fragile electronics. This is particularly true for the Ta152, 163, 262, and 190D9. In the case of the 152 it does not make sense, because the same mounting in the 109K4 does not have that problem, or in reverse the 109K4 should have the same difficulty.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 05:14:33 PM »

Red zone here represents the actual radiators position in the dora.

In Aces High damage model

Red zone is 100% radiator hit
Yellow zone is about 90% for a radiator hit
Blue zone is a toss up between radiator and oil with oil more being more likely than the radiator

I doubt the pony's hit area would be anywhere near the size of the Dora's and considering the damage model does not take in to account the direction the bullet is travelling it only has one side to be shot, the Dora hitzone can literally be shot at any angle even long range plunging shots from the rear, as long as it strikes a part of the hit zone there is a good chance of a rad hit.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
Any one have a radiator leak on lancs?

Now we're talking/thinking.   :devil

(Image removed from quote.)

Red zone here represents the actual radiators position in the dora.

(Image removed from quote.)

In Aces High damage model

Red zone is 100% radiator hit
Yellow zone is about 90% for a radiator hit
Blue zone is a toss up between radiator and oil with oil more being more likely than the radiator

I doubt the pony's hit area would be anywhere near the size of the Dora's and considering the damage model does not take in to account the direction the bullet is travelling it only has one side to be shot, the Dora hitzone can literally be shot at any angle even long range plunging shots from the rear, as long as it strikes a part of the hit zone there is a good chance of a rad hit.

I agree with your analysis, I've hit Doras on the spinner and seen them take a radiator hit (and anything anywhere forward the mid nose is a coin toss (even a bug impact)), but have you tested or documented this (or somehow gotten an inside source) to verify this is true/acurate?  If it is, then I'll be pissed, but I want to make sure its not speculation. 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:37:41 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 07:39:04 PM »

No its from my own test results with a helper and a 50 cal on a jeep, and the planes in those pics were colored in myself as a rough visual aid, I know in basic bullet reflection of a hard object the bullet tends to follow the line of that hard object, what happens when it hits a hub spinner going a couple of 1000 rpm is anyone's guess.

You can see the side profile of the radiator isn't nearly as big as the hit area around the cowling, which is disappointing, also the fact the radiator is in 2 halves. I'm presuming it would be a big challenge to model the direction the plane is getting hit at because you can shoot the spinner beyond 90 degrees from behind and still get a rad hit, modeling the effect of the spinner and a bullet strike would I'd say be again a huge challenge to do it game.

But I asked Hitech once in the MA when it was getting fixed and he said there is nothing wrong with it, so maybe he knows something we don't  :old:

I think the 190s and 109s should have a 50 50 random chance on the first strike of taking a rad hit and have a definate rad hit on the second strike considering they have 2 rads, + its just really a pointless waste of time in gameply terms since you have no option to rtb unless you are very close to your base.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 08:04:48 PM »
Pervert just might have the smoking gun.

All know the Dora is a nancy on the radiator. Fix it!!
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »

While the hit zones are roughly correct, they are only correct if you assume that the bullet is travelling straight towards the plane, a lot of the rad hits I used to take in game were from stupid situations, like being over 1k away from a couple of cons group spraying me in 51s and 47s as my style of merging doesn't really allow much of a frontal shot.

I think they really need to have a look at the size of the hit zones and reducing the probabilty of a rad hit on anything other than the front of the nose. Getting rad hits from 1.5k away is a bit of joke. I remember Bruv always laughing at me on vent for flipping out with rad hits every other sortie until he experienced rad hit rage himself after flying it for a month  :D

In saying that I doubt it will ever be changed, once HTC makes its mind up something is OK they don't seem to change it.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 09:40:14 AM »
As I've said before, very good job on the testing pervert. I really hope it would get looked at.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 05:23:19 PM »

Please HTCs, fix it, fix it, fix it, fix it!   :devil

OK, but seriously, it's been months since my last 190 wishlsit thread, I think I'll compile one in within the next week.  This game need more/better 190s, and for it being used now by an estimated 10% of players, I think some proper 190Fs and 190Gs (maybe freeing up the As to be modeled after ones specificly more fit for A2A duties) would be a hit.  This game could use a re-polished D-9 with maybe a D-11 or how about a perked D-13!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:25:25 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »
+1 for more 190's
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 06:09:27 PM »
The omnidirectional ping is gamey, and maybe the radiator hit is being used as a catchall for every other kind of damage that can happen when a 50cal API round hits anywhere along the length of the V12 engine.

Quite alot of plumbing, wiring and the block itself to be damaged by a 50cal API round. Maybe it's simpler and less CPU processing to make the damage to the forward area of the cockpit be a catchall after any MG131 damage. Afterall this is being written to Windows to account for legacy PC. There may be trade offs to give everyone the physics modeling you like flying in.

If HiTech says it's fine as is, this may be some of what you are arguing about. You want what you want and he has to make the game playable for more players than just you.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 01:59:31 AM »
"I doubt the pony's hit area would be anywhere near the size of the Dora's and considering the damage model does not take in to account the direction the bullet is travelling it only has one side to be shot, the Dora hitzone can literally be shot at any angle even long range plunging shots from the rear, as long as it strikes a part of the hit zone there is a good chance of a rad hit."

Indeed, I have seen Dora taking rad hits from almost direct 6oc where IRL those would not happen.

The size of a radiator is usually directly proportional to engine power and the "face" size can be reduced at a cost of efficiency as the depth of the radiator increases, so I'd think the Pony does not have much smaller rad compared to that of Dora's. However there's a big difference which rad is prone to get hit by 12oc or 6oc hits because of location but as total 3D area there should not be much difference between these two if we assume that the density of the radiator is roughly the same.

-C+

"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."