Author Topic: Pilots blackout too fast  (Read 889 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Pilots blackout too fast
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 03:04:47 AM »

That would be the 190's not the 109's!   Look at the 2 cockpits,the 190's have their rudder pedals raised somewhat to allow for a more reclined seating position,which was supposed to help slow blood pooling into the legs!
109s as well, at least compared to Spits and Hurris.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 08:55:39 AM »
Zimme, the tunnel though not necessarily full blackout should be conservatively modeled. The reason: In real life high Gs=stress and pain for the pilot. A lot of cases you hear of one guy out-turning the other amount to him being less hesitant to go ahead and put that stress himself. AH has got to simulate the fact that pulling G is NOT carefree experience in some way.
Oh, and if anything the redout for negative Gs needs to be made MORE punishing, completely ridiculous "porpoise" defense are way too common.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 09:54:03 AM »
I havent said anything about the modeling of greyout, it is a pretty accurate model for that, only thing i asked for was to change it a bit so greyout starts at 6g instead of 5.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »
I havent said anything about the modeling of greyout, it is a pretty accurate model for that, only thing i asked for was to change it a bit so greyout starts at 6g instead of 5.
Highly stressful levels of discomfort start around there according to Hitech. Since we're not going to be wiring people's seats for mild electric shocks, the vision modeling is about what HTC can do.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 03:57:44 PM »

Hitech thinks we are all a bunch of old guys heavily out of shape, so we cant make it pass 5gs with out having issues. He knows us too well  :devil

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 06:10:18 PM »
Problem is that fat guys with high blood pressure is handling G-forces very well...

But if we pretend that there are real pilots in those planes, then a blackout at 7G would be more accurate. After all they where young and fit and trained for High-G Maneuvers.
Cannot say that 6G is a painful or horrifying experience. OK u are working pretty hard with your stomach and legs and u will get exhausted very quick. According to the aerobatic pilots I've spoken to is <6G often tolerated by amateurs but after that the difficulties is increasing rapidly and above 7G its becomes only a painful struggle to remain consciousness.

But another option is to have a 3 second delay before blackout so u can pull more than 6G for a short period of time.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 03:25:05 PM »
Aerobatic pilots pull high g for very short periods. I have an F-51 manual that says that the average pilot can sustain 4g without a suit. That would be an average young fit combat pilot.