Author Topic: Share your favorite air show moments! Videos and photos encouraged  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Share your favorite air show moments! Videos and photos encouraged
« on: September 26, 2015, 01:57:37 AM »
Growing up in Wichita I got used to the sights and sounds of thundering angels at a very young age. Im a Blue Angels guy all the way but the air force does it right. I've seen enough in my time to know when something really special happens.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=24AvYhaOP6A After spending 9 hours on a saturday with my 5 and 3 year old for McConnel AFB's open house I still hadnt had my fill. So the next day I timed it to where I picked the kids up from their mom's, drove a half mile away to a very nice park right off the base to the north right next to the flight path.

As soon as I got both kids out of my truck a B-1 with wings sweeping back shoots above the tree line at 2500 ft a quarter of a mile away and climbs above us in full afterburner into the vertical. The day before the only time my kids got scared was during the B-1 demonstration( Just like me as a kid :D)

As the B-1 reached its peak altitude it rolled over out of the climb and completed a full barrol roll. I went completely nuts and so did my kids. They absolutely loved it :x

So many great memories and stories please share some of your own.  :cheers:

393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Share your favorite air show moments! Videos and photos encouraged
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 02:01:53 AM »
Everytime I watch that it just fires me up. I get that same feeling a lot when I play this game :salute :cheers:

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 02:08:32 AM »
This is why I fly buffs gentleman. My great grand father told me all about his life as a Mitchell pilot in Burma during WW2 and i grew up watching B1's and F16's everyday. The B1 is just scary  :x In 89' I was there when a formation of F16's and a B1 broke every window in downtown Wichita. Roof top full afterburner fly over for the national anthem. That is #2
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 02:10:50 AM by Wizz »

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 02:55:23 AM »
Kool. Buffs are kool if you have a plate of fries and a big Hugh burger. Nah just kidding, buffs are great, they are the ones that causes the impact fights.  :cheers:
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline JohnnyHeelz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 09:36:57 AM »
This is in Aces High General Discussion, why?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 09:41:02 AM »
This is in Aces High General Discussion, why?

he is a very lonely little boy  :bolt: 

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 10:43:04 PM »
Newton, Kansas in the early 60s.  Weekend airshow, we were late getting there and as we turned down the road toward the airport an F-100 crossed left to right in front of us probably under 100' going like stink. Yowza!
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 11:07:39 PM »
I wish I could recall the day when wizz didnt post a single thread.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 11:25:36 PM »
Any time I got to hear the Vulcan Howl:

... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 12:35:08 AM »
Any time I got to hear the Vulcan Howl:

That is good stuff :salute

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »
I've been to air shows all over the US and many in Europe from Paris to Farnborough,
Probably the most thrilling air show I've ever been to was in 1987 at Ramstien,, I know I was there in 1988 as well and I'll get to that!
In 1987 the runway was fogged in but they had planed on the weather and had 5 or 6 helicopter teams there, not really all that thrilling, I'm not a big fan of helicopters anyway, me and some friends got up on top of this bus to get a better view, there was a B-52 flyby during a mild break in the fog, they were on a round the world flight so no touch and go.
, I'm not sure what flight team of jets did it, but one did fly for a bit, then the fog got really bad and we thought it was over,
, about then a single VO105 came over, and started a routine over the crowd, that year there wasn't nearly as many as the next , maybe 50 thousand give or take,, the bus we were on top of was pretty much alone except for the sea of people and I'm sure, stood out for the pilot who began to use it as his focal point in his routine, at first this was neat, we had ring side seats to a helicopter show!  Pretty soon tho I was looking at the edge of the bus judging the distance to the ground and the amount of damage my ankles were going to sustaine as I jumped off in case this went all wrong!
this guy would fly towards us, pull nose strait up climb, roll back somewhat,,,  then spin the tail around and look "ME" in the eye! As he came down, pulled back and rolled out towards the runway, and again,,I'm thinking just in case I hadn't seen it the first time!  LOL
The fourth time he did this same move, me and my friends all looked at each other and wondered when we were going to jump?   But we stayed,,, on the fifth try, he got it over, spun the trial,around inverted, then nosed over and pulled it back to the deck, the rotor wash blowing us around !  I'd seen my first upside down flying helicopter!
The show was over wise a wasted trip, but I'd never seen a helicopter upside down, and I'd never been as scared and still spellbound as I was that day,, at one point I was afraid to jump because I thought it might panic the pilot and cause him to otherwise crash! :joystick:
A very personal show for me! And probably not much of a show for anyone not within 50 feet of my location!
The next year was the big crash, I was way to close to that one as well and paid with some flesh, but I'm still here, almost a hundred are not!
I love air shows, yet it's like pulling teeth to get me to one since then, I seem to chicken out as the dates get near, I still love to fly, just don't like being on the ground near low flying jets!

Early the next year 1989 I was on Manuevers in Germany on the side of a hill overlooking a valley when an F-4 phantom came roaring over, low and slow, smoke trails standing out as they always did, that startled me, he was almost in the trees,,but then the F-16 coming in low from the F-4s 2 o'clock, nearly strait at me doing a breakneck turn, rolling over and locking up instantly on the phantoms tail made me fall to the ground, the second F-16 falling in on the firsts wing was the icing on the cake, I had cracked! Laying in the ground, tears in my eyes, I'd had all I wanted!
 I love to fly, but I keep it on the computer,, I've flown a handful of times since then for real, I missed Red bull again this year,, still chickening out at the last minute! It's like a game of chicken for me just to see how close I can get to actually going to an air show!

The picture is from 1988 Ramstein.

Flying since tour 71.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 10:54:49 AM »
Well done WWhiskey.  :salute

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 04:44:33 AM »
I've been to air shows all over the US and many in Europe from Paris to Farnborough,
Probably the most thrilling air show I've ever been to was in 1987 at Ramstien,, I know I was there in 1988 as well and I'll get to that!
In 1987 the runway was fogged in but they had planed on the weather and had 5 or 6 helicopter teams there, not really all that thrilling, I'm not a big fan of helicopters anyway, me and some friends got up on top of this bus to get a better view, there was a B-52 flyby during a mild break in the fog, they were on a round the world flight so no touch and go.
, I'm not sure what flight team of jets did it, but one did fly for a bit, then the fog got really bad and we thought it was over,
, about then a single VO105 came over, and started a routine over the crowd, that year there wasn't nearly as many as the next , maybe 50 thousand give or take,, the bus we were on top of was pretty much alone except for the sea of people and I'm sure, stood out for the pilot who began to use it as his focal point in his routine, at first this was neat, we had ring side seats to a helicopter show!  Pretty soon tho I was looking at the edge of the bus judging the distance to the ground and the amount of damage my ankles were going to sustaine as I jumped off in case this went all wrong!
this guy would fly towards us, pull nose strait up climb, roll back somewhat,,,  then spin the tail around and look "ME" in the eye! As he came down, pulled back and rolled out towards the runway, and again,,I'm thinking just in case I hadn't seen it the first time!  LOL
The fourth time he did this same move, me and my friends all looked at each other and wondered when we were going to jump?   But we stayed,,, on the fifth try, he got it over, spun the trial,around inverted, then nosed over and pulled it back to the deck, the rotor wash blowing us around !  I'd seen my first upside down flying helicopter!
The show was over wise a wasted trip, but I'd never seen a helicopter upside down, and I'd never been as scared and still spellbound as I was that day,, at one point I was afraid to jump because I thought it might panic the pilot and cause him to otherwise crash! :joystick:
A very personal show for me! And probably not much of a show for anyone not within 50 feet of my location!
The next year was the big crash, I was way to close to that one as well and paid with some flesh, but I'm still here, almost a hundred are not!
I love air shows, yet it's like pulling teeth to get me to one since then, I seem to chicken out as the dates get near, I still love to fly, just don't like being on the ground near low flying jets!

Early the next year 1989 I was on Manuevers in Germany on the side of a hill overlooking a valley when an F-4 phantom came roaring over, low and slow, smoke trails standing out as they always did, that startled me, he was almost in the trees,,but then the F-16 coming in low from the F-4s 2 o'clock, nearly strait at me doing a breakneck turn, rolling over and locking up instantly on the phantoms tail made me fall to the ground, the second F-16 falling in on the firsts wing was the icing on the cake, I had cracked! Laying in the ground, tears in my eyes, I'd had all I wanted!
 I love to fly, but I keep it on the computer,, I've flown a handful of times since then for real, I missed Red bull again this year,, still chickening out at the last minute! It's like a game of chicken for me just to see how close I can get to actually going to an air show!

The picture is from 1988 Ramstein.

that is why I made this thread :salute

thank you for sharing

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 10:42:42 AM »
Thank you!
Flying since tour 71.