Author Topic: Upgradables in Aces High 3  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
Re: Upgradables in Aces High 3
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2016, 04:21:15 PM »
If my memory isn't too bad the ball turret was remote controlled, aimed trough mirrors and absolutely useless.

IIRC crew members tended to get sick using it and the turret was prone to getting jammed when extending/retracting. The British solved one issue by just leaving the turret in the always extended position though this added some drag.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »
You know, I think Bushmills is onto something here. 

I remember a game called Red Baron where you started the WWI campaign and started your career with either France, Germany, or Britain.  You could customize your aircraft - swap it out for different versions as they were introduced, and it was a whole lotta fun.

How would you incorporate that into Aces High?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 04:43:32 PM »
You know, I think Bushmills is onto something here. 

I remember a game called Red Baron where you started the WWI campaign and started your career with either France, Germany, or Britain.  You could customize your aircraft - swap it out for different versions as they were introduced, and it was a whole lotta fun.

How would you incorporate that into Aces High?

That was more of a historical tour though.  You followed the war depending on what squadron you were in.  You were assigned whatever aircraft your squadron was assigned.  As you ranked up, you could eventually change your paint job, but that was it if I remember right.  Maybe you could choose your vehicle type at top rank as well, been a long time.  One of my favorite single player experiences of all time, playing that game.

Not entirely sure how it would fit with AH.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 05:27:15 PM »
IIRC crew members tended to get sick using it and the turret was prone to getting jammed when extending/retracting. The British solved one issue by just leaving the turret in the always extended position though this added some drag.

Seems like my memory is still working: http://acepilots.com/planes/b25.html
"The worst thing ever designed was the bottom turret of the B-25. It was the stupidest bit of equipment. My God, the operator is sitting in one place getting a reverse image through a mirror. He couldn't hit a thing. It slowed the damn plane down, and we weren't getting belly attacks anyway. What they really needed was a tail gun, which they eventually installed."
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 09:45:25 PM »
I don't want upgrades I want dynamic down grades for OTHER PLAYERS. 5 bucks a broken valve.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2016, 12:14:13 PM »
I don't want upgrades I want dynamic down grades for OTHER PLAYERS. 5 bucks a broken valve.

I'm all for this as long as HTC doesn't tax too much of my income.   

Also the enemy has to leave you an engine and two wings. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2016, 02:55:18 PM »
I'm all for this as long as HTC doesn't tax too much of my income.   

Also the enemy has to leave you an engine and two wings. 
Tail and cockpit is optional? :D

How about an arena that is date dependent - kinda like WWII Online was. And you pick a side, join a historical squadron, and as the dates advance and new planes get introduced, your CO/DCO gets to approve your new ride or continue with your existing one?  For example, if I was in a JG and flying the Frank, I'm not 100% sure I would pick the G2 or a FW-190A5.

We've been capturing the service dates of all vehicles/aircraft here in Aces High - I started that process back in 2002 and now we know when we would introduce them and retire others, including operational areas. The idea would be that your squad could also pick custom aircraft colouring - nose, tail, fuselage etc in addition to the squad logo. Or you could limit the custom colouring to how well your squadron is doing for each tour? Noses for 50 squad kills, tail and nose for 200, entire aircraft requires 1000 kills.

Some food for thought...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:57:52 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2016, 03:19:11 PM »
Tail and cockpit is optional? :D

How about an arena that is date dependent - kinda like WWII Online was. And you pick a side, join a historical squadron, and as the dates advance and new planes get introduced, your CO/DCO gets to approve your new ride or continue with your existing one?  For example, if I was in a JG and flying the Frank, I'm not 100% sure I would pick the G2 or a FW-190A5.

We've been capturing the service dates of all vehicles/aircraft here in Aces High - I started that process back in 2002 and now we know when we would introduce them and retire others, including operational areas. The idea would be that your squad could also pick custom aircraft colouring - nose, tail, fuselage etc in addition to the squad logo. Or you could limit the custom colouring to how well your squadron is doing for each tour? Noses for 50 squad kills, tail and nose for 200, entire aircraft requires 1000 kills.

Some food for thought...

I would venture to say that this arena wouldn't be very popular and we already have an arena that is date dependent, the AvA.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 09:19:43 AM »
The rolling planeset killed Warbirds, and HT has said definitely no to it at least a few times in the past because it would kill AH too. [citation needed]

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 12:31:44 PM »
The first thing I am going to do, is put spinners on my landing gear, and fuzzy dice on the instrument panel :rock
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »
The first thing I am going to do, is put spinners on my landing gear, and fuzzy dice on the instrument panel :rock

Wings would prolly rip off on take off with all that extra horse power!
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2016, 01:37:56 PM »
The rolling planeset killed Warbirds, and HT has said definitely no to it at least a few times in the past because it would kill AH too. [citation needed]

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,375286.msg4999387.html#msg4999387

If this game introduced a rolling plane set in the MA, I'd quit.  Why pay $15 a month to only fly a week or two of the campaign?  It was probably the main reason why I ended up quitting WB when the rolling plane set was first introduced in that game.

Yea that was one of our ideas that we decided we would not do again.

HiTech

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.