Author Topic: bring back the old buff bombsite  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
bring back the old buff bombsite
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2003, 10:37:54 AM »
Look, people, it's simple.

Bombing takes skill.

Fighting takes skill.

You want bombing to be something a 2 week newbie with a gunner can do with utmost pinpoint accuracy?

You are stupid.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2003, 10:38:51 AM »
Originally posted by Easyscor
Actually, the higher you go, the wider your bomb spread on strat targets like Cities and the more damage you do.

That's fine, but moving to a laser bombsite means that buffs will become the primary anti-field weapon.  Combine that with three times the defensive firepower, instantaneous laser pinpoint accuracy against single field targets, and three times the bomb payload, and you have a recipe for disaster.  

Mainly here I'm referring to anti-field rather than anti-strat bombing.  The current system removes bombers as truly effective high or medium altitude threats against fields.  The higher you go, the wider the spread and the less likely enough bombs impact on hardened targets to do any real damage.  

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2003, 10:46:32 AM »
The MA shows that the current bombing system is too hard for the average AH'r.

Bombing went from a beginner skill to an advanced skill.

A happy medium imo, would be:

'Click target on Map'.  Automated bombsite.  Accuracy dependant on ability to hold constant speed, alt, and direction for a period of time.  

Do alot of manuevering and your bombsite will be off.  Fly a steady course from IP and you will have an accurate drop.  

Bring back the casual Buff pilots to AH.

*edit.. and please model realistic drop parameters.  I may be wrong, but I bet a lanc or B17 couldn't dive bomb.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 10:48:36 AM by Virage »
JG11

Vater

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2003, 10:53:35 AM »
There is a reason they allow you a gunner. I like the old bomb sight, but with formations, laser bombs would be too much. Why not the old sight for single bombers and calibration for formations?
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2003, 10:57:16 AM »
Bombing is a lot of fun the way it is now. Just gotta learn how to do it. My vote (fwiw) is leave it alone.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2003, 11:17:45 AM »
I ike your idea, Fester...old bombsight, no zoom

I like bombing, and Im ok with the new bombsite...though I have evenings I cant hit a thing.

But I am really weary of seeing bombing formations that are simply trying to beat the system by acting as big jabos...dive, drop, die...repeat.  Or, fly on the deck, drop, die, repeat.

I'd much rather see them bomber folks actually making an effort to get to alt, defend themselves and drop

Make it an option..real site, formation....easy site, no formation.  I just think you're giving too much away if you give an easy site AND the bombload of 3 buffs.

Heck, if I have a chance of hitting what Im bombing, I might just use the Arado some more.

Good idea, fair compromise.  Might eliminate some of the lame suicide jabos we're seeing.

Offline airguard

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.me109.net
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2003, 11:38:46 AM »
I think I only flew the b26/17 or lancaster 3 or 4 times since the bombsite change, its to boring to climb to 20k miss the target and get shot down.

much easyer and fun to jabo with a couple of guys, mess up a field and  get 3 kills. you also have a fair chance to go back in 1 piece.

dont know about others but the only boomers i take these days is the stuka  trying to get a cruiser or a cv :).

I want the old stuff back too, but not that easy that is was then.
just modified to be harder to hit or 2 boomers in formation.

or the new bombsite with more boomers in formation I dont know  ?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 11:42:04 AM by airguard »
I am a Norwegian eating my fish, and still let my wife mess me around in stupid shops...

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2003, 12:20:27 PM »
Howabout approaching the "buffs are boring" problem through the maps???

-Make "buffs only" bases at higher elevations with heavy ack

or

-Allow buffs "GV like" spawn points with air start at 10k

Also the bomb blast effect would be nice damage wise. Now we can see far too many near misses which have no effect at all.. even against light GV:s

On the other hand the problem of dive bombing Lanc formations and suicide formation on the deck should also be approached in some way.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2003, 12:21:49 PM »
The current bombsight is as good as the old laser guided bombsight at altitudes up to 25K if you're good but above 25K the bomb spread will occasionally leave a hanger up unless you're willing to overkill it with extra bombs.  The biggest reasons not to climb above 20K when attacking airfields is the added time it takes to turn around for another good run over the target and it's more exciting to drop with bandits around.  Even calibrating while fighting off an attack is possible and adds to the fun.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2003, 12:22:35 PM »
One more important thing!!!

-Make the buffs necessary! Make their damage count so that a small bunch of jabos cannot replace them so easily.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2003, 12:27:52 PM »
why not have the "laser" sight included but with fairly reduced accuracy...for fairly usable accuracy you would have to spend the 1 minute required (wich is nothing considering the amount of time put into just straight flying thats done in the missions) setting it up...or you could just spend a couple hours offline learning how to use the flipping thing with fairly good accuracy...

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2003, 12:56:35 PM »
While the thoughts on improving the bomb sight are interesting, I would prefer the single bomber old sight, mulit bomber new sight routine.

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2003, 01:53:49 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
From what I remember the Norden sites automatically dropped their bombs after calibration - there were two 'markers' that were set by calibrating the sight, where the bombardier would first 'mark' the visible target via the bomb sight, and then set the second 'mark' by calibrating the alt, speed and drift.

As the buff draws closer to the target the two 'markers' would gradually come close together, and when they were aligned the bomb was released.  

Sort of a dumb "AI" bombardier would release the bombs based on the calibration and release point(s) you programed in.   This sounds interesting, closer to realism, and allows you to jump to your own guns.

I bet it would work.

Maybe not too hard for HTC to figure out either.

added later:

You would need a display of current speed and next to (or under it )calibrated speed to see that you are maintaining your calibrated settigns
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 02:04:21 PM by Zanth »

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2003, 02:21:26 PM »
Originally posted by TW9
Current bombsite comes w/ drones..

Old bombsite comes w/ no drones..

Thats how i'd like to see it done..

Thank you...I agree completely

This encourages folks to try bombers, and if they can handle the harder sight, take more bombers.

EDIT:  The training room only has the easy sight...perhaps change that for folks to practice bombing with others?

Offline Bulz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2003, 03:01:15 PM »
Whats the problem with the newer bombsight?  Take the time to learn how to calibrate it, and you will be amazed at how accurate your drops become.  I can practically kill cv and ca with eyes closed!!!  As for HQ, practice makes perfect.  It only takes one flight to hit the mark.  I spent a few hours in the TA and came up with a calibration method that is very accurate.  I have shared this with some of my squaddies who like it so much, that they don't want me to share it with anyone else!  If it is made too easy, where's the challenge?

Keep this bombsight... make people learn how to use it...