Author Topic: Patience wearing thin  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2000, 04:21:00 PM »

Originally posted by BigJim:
All in all I am just getting tired of waiting for the fix and paying while waiting,
I am sure I will be "invited" to leave by the cheerleaders and that's fine with me but if the silent ones who feel like I do leave too maybe the "cheerleaders" won't be so happy.  END OF RANT

PS was I pissed off when I wrote this YOU BET

Jim,

I'll speak only for myself here. It seems to me that when a guy makes a post like that one, he is hanging out a one-link chain for every one to tug on.

As to the issues you raised, there are indeed some valid points. I am sympathetic to almost all of them.

I've been killed by the "mad sheep of A1" several times (but I didn't let it ruin my night). I also read or heard HT say they had the bug nailed down and just hadn't had time to implement the fix. So, I figure maybe next version; as I said, it causes me no loss of sleep.

I wonder about some parts of the flight model too. Why do some planes seem to be unable to do a continuous 60 degree bank, 2G level turn? Why can some planes flop around like a demented trout on amphetamines for 45 seconds, slipping and sliding through the air without any apparent loss of energy and then chase you down after you blow by at 350 mph?

Here's the difference though. I don't feel like HTC is trying to defraud me or bilk me.

I understand that this is a work in progress and a young one at that. I know AH is not a destination but a journey...the scenery will always be changing.

In the balance, I find my cost/value assessment is excellent.

Therefore, I look at HTC as my friends although I have never seen one of them in the flesh. They like what I like; online WW2 ACM. They have the talent I lack to program this stuff. I get to go over to "Hi-Tech's House" and play every nite and I enjoy it.

So why would I ever be angry at them?

I think they are doing the best that they can with the resources they have.

Over 1000 critics, telling them "add this plane", "fix this FM", "hey, give us a terrain editor", "where are the ships?", "check out this bug".

I guess I'm just patient. I KNOW it's not perfect but I still enjoy it. I also feel they are working to improve it every day.

So, I guess because I don't get angry with them and I don't post antagonistically on the board, that makes me a "cheerleader".

Well, OK. If showing a little respect for the guys that work so hard on my hobby is "cheerleading"... Rah! Rah! Rah!  

All of us will stay or go depending on how we evaluate the cost/benefit relationship, particularly vis-a-vis other options that are available to us.

I hope you stay. I don't control that however; you do.

I still don't see what being accusatory or antagonistic will gain for any of us.

Just my .02
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2000, 05:31:00 PM »

Originally posted by Nath-BDP:
Allies won because they had a thing called numbers.

Although your record is impressive, your arrogance is quite excessive, and when the day's tallies were scored,
one Allied dweeb's kill was just as good as your many more. (C) -- I are Dweeb (me)

- Jig

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2000, 05:32:00 PM »
After spending too much time reading posts on AGW and now AH BB, one thing is obvious.

There will always be plenty of guys complaining that 1)Their plane of choice isnt a great as they want it to be  2)Any plane that kills them is obviously overmodeled.

All they want is a plane with the speed of a 262, turns inside a Zero, takes damage like a panzer and has 4 rapid firing 75mm cannnons out there on the wings.  Anything less is undermodeled.

The enemys plane should turn like a B17 without ailerons, fly at the speed of a panzer, have 2 Daisy bb guns on the wings and disintegrate if tracers pass near them.

Seriously, this game has already passed long established sims in many areas, and to nit pick the game seems kinda unneeded.  

Improvements come at an amazing rate in my opinion.  Flight modeling seem pretty well done, I am sure there is always room for improvement, but that should take the form of striving for matching reality, not just what some people want out of the flight modeling.

If anyone is really unhappy with the game, they should take a break and see if they can find something better.  I dont think they will, but its worth a try.

Dago
I am not a cheerleader, I am an Athletic ah....never mind

[This message has been edited by Dago (edited 08-13-2000).]
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2000, 06:41:00 PM »
Mav your post was great and I read the thread with the ammo pictures in it, but it does not address the issue I raised regarding historic events.  The game being what it is, and the way we fly it is dumb to try and pit fifty cal armed ONLY planes vs heavy cannon armed planes IN THIS GAME.  I just did the SEA with 38's vs Zekes and of course the Zekes while flying quite well fell like leafs in the wind (I can't see where it was much fun for the Zeke drivers but maybe some did like it).  Frankly with a few NOTABLE acceptions, most of the "hotshot" pilots fly a fast, manuverable, cannon armed, plane and I don't blame them for that and in the MA that is fine.  The historcal arena however is a different story and with the present game I don't think we will ever get close to a "historical" event.  The F4U-D with 6 fifties in this game is just a target drone in most players hands, there are a few who can do well with it but most cannot, the same plane armed with cannons is the "squeak" of the day for most people with countless whines about it, so it points out one simple truth "if ya want to play AH you better get a cannon armed plane".  The other things I posted about are real BUGS but they have been there for awhile (the sheep thing just drives me nuts I always forget about it and wind up dead or captured everytime) I know it comes down to choices on the producers part, but in the "heat of battle" sometimes the prospective gets lost.  I said what I said about "cheerleaders" because I KNEW that instantly there would be guys jumping in
telling me I am all wet etc etc...and that was NOT going to help me with how I felt at the moment I wrote the post, so I just cut em off at the pass (mostly for my own feelings at the time) Anyhow I have said my piece and will evaluate where I am and not what others want to do, but rather what I want and whether I am getting the enjoyment I want or not

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2000, 09:09:00 PM »
Hey cheerleaders.
The Hispano in this game was changed signifigantly after that post was made. Picture or not.
Maybe pointing out apperant problems to HTC and sticking it out when cheerleaders battle for the status quo is worth it. Sure gets ya lumps though.
BigJim, if you have numbers or anologies to support your grievences I will sure listen.
I bet HTC will too if you present them well.
Good luck
Hope to see you up there.

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2000, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks Pongo I know the picture and the hispano's now don't match....was a concession to "game play" I think the same concessions should be made all around, but then we would have the moans that this is just like every other flight sim blah blah, as for the f4U modeling a squaddie has posted all the signifcant data (F4UDOA) regarding the problems with the FM and Pyro said he was "looking into it" and "knew" it was off abit (sorry Funked guess you missed it).  I have some issues which don't effect most of the guys, my eyesight is not what it was so the "small" planes are hard for me to see but that is not the games problem it is mine, also I get weird connect problems all the time but I guess others do too which again is NOT the games fault, but the fact is that if what you are seeing is NOT what is the real situation then ATA combat is almost impossible.  My gunnery stats will show how much I miss I think I am the worst shot on AH, but it is due mostly to perspective, I am shooting at something that is not there or the sights are off or something but I sure shoot alot better in RL than on this game

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2000, 10:04:00 PM »
FWIW, you should have hung around for the second frame today... I enabled the Nikki and the F4U-1D (along with the Zero, B-26 and P-38) and Ons had 3 kills in the F4U. Not too shabby...

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2000, 11:02:00 PM »
BigJim creates a thread called The Dividing Line, wherein he states that there are two groups, the opinionated radicals and then the cheerleders.

So he makes another post wherein' he lists about 300 things he dislikes about AH in the space of a single paragraph.

To actually debate the issues? To make suggestions for things he'd like changed? Nah, that wasn't his purpose at all. His sole intent was to 'out' the cheerleaders.

And sure enough, here came the "Aha!"

Quoteth BigJim: "heheheh I guess you cheerleaders don't like being identified, but never the less the outcome is the same and it is all going as I said it would, if anyone DARES complain then here come the stormtroopers, claiming the poster is unintellegent...."

So I guess the cheerleaders were caught red handid. Or something.

Feh.

Nice troll Jim.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2000, 11:04:00 PM »

Originally posted by Pongo:
Hey cheerleaders.
Maybe pointing out apperant problems to HTC and sticking it out when cheerleaders battle for the status quo is worth it. Sure gets ya lumps though.

I think everyone knows there are problems. I think HTC gets pretty regular notification of them too.

I have no issue with pointing out problems.

I just fail to see why pointing out problems in a post requires an "attitude". Why can't a person speak his piece, provide some data or film <if available> and leave it at that?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2000, 04:09:00 AM »
Nash I sure as hell don't know what your "agenda" is but as someone who is or was a trainer your attack on me and "what" I was thinking is just plain WRONG, hell I have posted more over this than I have on ANY subject at all. I have LESS than 150 posts on this board so put on your "goodie two shoes" attitude and take a hike.  I don't think HTC appointed you to drive away customers with your flaming attitude and outragious statements, 300 things indeed hell you can't even read let alone judge people

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2000, 04:44:00 AM »
BigJim, in this tour I've one flight with F4U1-C, two with P51D and several with 190A5 (2x20) and 109G10 (3x20). My conclusions are:
1 - P51D 50s are very effective at convergence, deadly up to 600 yards and good for snapshots up to 500 yards. I'm used to fire at 250 yards with 190A5, and firing at this range with 50s is devastating.
2 - 190A5 2xMg151/20 for me are effective at less than 350 yards, average snapshot capability at 250 yards or less. Very slow ROF, and the MGFF seems to be effective at less than 200 yards.
3 - 109G10 3xMg151/20 is a very good gun platform, ROF seems to be much higher than with 190 and is effective at even 450 yards, with good snapshot capability at 300 yards.
4 - HogC 4xHispanos IMO is the best firing platform in AH, no problem killing at 800 yards with a pair of pings, very tense trajectory and extremely easy to score hits and kills with snapshots at even 500 yards.

NOTE: When I talk about gun effectiveness, I'm refering to shoot with accuracy, not to unload the entire ammo to score a dozen of hits.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2000, 06:45:00 AM »
You guys are all full of bull.  I know that every plane that shot me down last night was overmodeled!!  Plain and simple.

There was only one plane that was not overmodeled and I shot that one down!  

That's all I have to say about that!

HeHe!!    

BTW  I had a great time last night near A33.  Got my butt handed to me, but I had a great time!    

------------------
Swager
GeschwaderKommodore I/JG2~Richthofen~[/i]

"Damn.....I can't believe I missed that shot!!!"

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 08-14-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2000, 07:40:00 AM »
I think the Sheep Bug occurs if you are shot down, and go to the hangar (You see yourself sans aircraft) make a change to fuel or ammo, and then Click Fly.

It may also happen if you type fly right away after having bailed.

I guess that the software doesn't know what type of plane your supposed to be in, or what country you fly.  Ergo it defaults you to the default Airfield of A1.

It isn't a problem if your country owns A1, the Ack doesn't open up on you.

I could be wrong though.

------------------

"Downtown" Lincoln Brown.
    lkbrown1@tir.com    
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Wrecking Crews "Drag and Die Guy"
Hals und beinbruch!

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2000, 08:49:00 AM »
Dear BigJim!

I challenge you sir....

set your convergence to 250-275-300 in the 51 and DO NOT PULL OFF A ROUND OUTSIDE OF D-300.

If you honestly will do this, I assure you that your concerns regarding 50's versus Cannons will evaporate and you will find inner harmony and peace  

Honestly, I could care less regarding what aircrafts are introduced or what guns they have or whatever....dont give anyone the shot, and suddenly all of this is moot!

Hope ya find happiness or quit AH, one or the other...just dont understand why someone would pay to be so unhappy.

Dont mean to be rude!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rude (edited 08-14-2000).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2000, 09:03:00 AM »
"I just fail to see why pointing out problems in a post requires an "attitude". Why can't a person speak his piece, provide some data or film <if available> and leave it at that? "

Exactly Toad.    

-Westy