Author Topic: Patience wearing thin  (Read 1305 times)

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
Patience wearing thin
« on: August 12, 2000, 10:02:00 PM »
 I don't squeak alot but my patience is wearing down with this "cannons high" sim.  Historical events are near impossible with the disparagy between fifies and cannons.  I have flown 2 events now in allied Iron vs axis Iron and the way the game is modeled the Allies LOST WWII.  I won't even go into the "porked" flight models of some these allied and axis planes (F4U-D and C are a joke), Roger Wilco HAS NEVER worked right since its inclusion in the game, the killer sheep bug is a pain in the ass, the default 25 percent fuel is not good, the last man standing rule is bogus for kills, etc etc.
All in all I am just getting tired of waiting for the fix and paying while waiting,
I am sure I will be "invited" to leave by the cheerleaders and that's fine with me but if the silent ones who feel like I do leave too maybe the "cheerleaders" won't be so happy.  END OF RANT

PS was I pissed off when I wrote this YOU BET

Nath-BDP

Patience wearing thin
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2000, 10:06:00 PM »
Allies won because they had a thing called numbers.

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2000, 10:15:00 PM »
Ya Know BigJim, you're right.

If the terrain editor guys hurry there may be a reason to stick around here but about the time that gets sorted out we may possibly see those surcharges drug out of the closet and dusted off.

I gets a bit harder each month to drop that check in the mail.

I am not quite fed up enough yet but hold the bus.

------------------
When did they put this thing in here and WTF is it for?

Hazed

Patience wearing thin
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2000, 10:20:00 PM »
bigjim ive never heard you moan about things so i took your complaint seriously but im sorry i dont agree.i fly axis planes mostly and i often think allied planes kill me too easily..but i really have to admit its usually because im pissed off i was killed,but it could be the allied guns are too strong  
take a break for a week it helps  
hope you enjoy it again mate

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2000, 11:07:00 PM »
 In AH the gameplay is about an individual player fighting other players in the air.
 There are no killing planes by straffing them on the fields. There are no bombings of the industry. There are no permanent death to the pilots who where shot down.
 Only pilots shooting each other in dogfights  are considered.

By those criteria the Luftwaffe most definitely won the war.

miko--

funked

Patience wearing thin
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2000, 11:09:00 PM »
What exactly is wrong with the F4U flight models?  They match historical flight test data pretty well.  Against their historical opponents (A6M and Ki-43 plus a few others) they would do quite well.  However in this arena the Corsairs have to fight the best that the world had to offer, and they don't always dominate.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2000, 11:46:00 PM »
I wont debate if any particular plane or gun is too effective at destroying another plane. It seems to me, any plane that shoots another plane in AH kills it.  I can accept this because to me it seems equal. Others might want more obvious differance between 50s and 20mms, no biggie to me personally.  Planes with 50's tended to have more guns. (P51, 6 guns, p47 8 guns, F4U-1C  4 cannons)  Any plane can kill any plane if it gets in the position to hit it.

To me, this means that to survive, I must fly for the advantage, not rely on my guns to win a fight, it must be my skill that gets it done or not.

I agree I get frustrated when I shoot another plane at the same time I get killed, and I dont get credit.  More than once I have done mortal damage to a plane, only to die before he hits the ground, and I get no kill award. Doesnt seem right to me.

Killer sheep - yeah, it can suck, but I am sure it will be fixed. Not much of a problem once you are aware of it and know how to avoid it.

Roger Wilco  - no problem for me and my squad, we use it all the time without problem.

25% default fuel- HUH? This is something to get mad about?  Once you set a planes fuel higher, it stays that way. I dont see this as a major problem.

F4U's - Flown right they fly and fight well, but it isnt that easy, and flown poorly they are meat on the table.  Seems modeled okay to me.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2000, 11:57:00 PM »
My big squeak is the lackluster performance of the P-51D and the omni potence of the FW190A-5 and 109G-10 but Im the only one who thinks this......it comes with the territory and ya either find a way to enjoy it (ie live with it) or you press on.

The guns are too lethal IMO, cannon and MGs both but hey, this goes both ways so use it to your advantage  

As far as the CheckSix event tonight all I can say is a few of the Axis guys really pulled the nik/zeke teams together.  We were impressed with the *apparent* lack of teaming
on the allied side but I was there for only an hour so I dont know the whole story.

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2000, 12:34:00 AM »
Sorry Funked HATE to tell you this BUT the F4U DOESNOT match its' flight data (has already been admitted by HTC) it loses waaaay too much E in turns.

Dago the fuel DOESNOT always stay where set and if the program hickup's you GO BACK TO DEFAULT which is 25 percent (and if you forget to check it you run out of fuel at the worst possible moment)

Gun lethality of fifties comparied to cannons is laughable (except on bombers which seem to have "cannon like" fifties)

anyhow I expect the "cheerleaders" to post and the "silent ones" to read nod their collective heads and see what happens (they hardly ever post cause the "cheerleaders" beat them down)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2000, 01:04:00 AM »
As for gun lethality I dunno the .50's seem just about right to me, from what little gun camera footage I've seen it seems comparible.  But hey I could easily be wrong  .  I would gladly take a group of .50's over a couple cannon for similar reasons as the USAAF used them, the higher ROF and muzzle velocity.  For me it's simply easier to hit targets with the MG rather than cannon.  Though I might be avoiding the cannon planes out of spite.  
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2000, 01:09:00 AM »
I think that we have a tendancy to forget that unlike WW2, any of us has hundred of flying hours. meaning we know what to do, what not to do, where/how to shoot.

It's not like in those report where 2 F4 goes in a flight of 10 Zekes and shot them all because they all dweebs barely able to take off.

Also, I noticed (maybe it's me) than canons are not great killer beyond 400y when I can still hit and rip a wing at 700y with .50. But I still have the 3 ping ripp wing on 50y with Niki, but I have it too with .50 hehehe
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

funked

Patience wearing thin
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2000, 02:29:00 AM »
BigJim exactly what data are you talking about?  Where and when was such an admission made by HTC personnel?

As for the .50 cal vs. 20 mm whining, read Pyro's post here:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum1/HTML/002456.html

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 08-13-2000).]

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2000, 04:34:00 AM »
I've got an idea...how about you post a message about what's disappointing to you in the sim without whining like a little girl and throwing out disparaging remarks against anyone that might have differing opinion.  You could write your opinions down in a reasonable fashion with some detail to back them up - like why you think the f4 flight model is hosed, or what problems your having with RW - and ask for HTC's opinion and what, if anything, they have planned to do about your 'issues'.  Then you could make a somewhat informed decision about whether it's worth it to you to play anymore!

Wait...what was I thinking - that might actually get you somewhere and you wouldn't be able to squeak and moan!

SOB

BTW...I do agree with you, in that I don't like the last man standing rule.  Never had a problem that I couldn't fix with RW, never seen the sheep bug, never flew a WWII aircraft so I don't know what the planes should fly like (I thought Pyro mentioned somewhere that there was a problem with E retention across the board - don't know, don't care), and of course cannons are more lethal.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2000, 04:44:00 AM »
Ya gotta love when some guy sums up his remarks by basically saying that if anyone disagrees, well, they're cheerleaders.

Give me a C! Give me a U! Give me a LATER.

Guess I'm wearing a blue uniform huh Jim?

Wotevah.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Patience wearing thin
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2000, 08:15:00 AM »
Oh, I see BigJim, you are the type the feels it is necessary to call someone names if they dont agree with you?  Is that like "the one who shouts loudest must be right"?

I have never had my fuel reset all by itself.
And I fly alot.

Of course 20mm is much more lethal than 50cal. I have fired a 50cal rifle, and a 20mm anti-tank cannon in real life. The 50 cal is a hell of a round, but the 20mm is awesome.
They dont even seem close to me in size and power. I certainly would expect a big differance in the game.

Pyro has said that Buff guns have a farther reach than fighters, Buff guns being effective out to about 1.2, fighters out to about .800. It is the only chance they have. At least they dont have lazer guided otto gunners like WB did.  That really sucked.  It isnt really all that hard to kill a buff if you use just a little in the way of tactics.

Posting a whine does no good, it would be better if you posted about bugs in the bug forum, and send your concerns about other issues to Pyro or HT.

And as SOB says, I have never flown a F4U myself so I wont try to pretend I know how well it should retain E.  I will assume you have plenty of hours in a real one to state with such conviction that its flight modeling is all wrong.  I mean, heck, how else would you know unless of course you are just trying to compare HTC's Hog against another Sims hog, and of course that would be ridiculous.

respectfully,
Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"