Author Topic: Apparently having my bike stolen is MY fault  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Apparently having my bike stolen is MY fault
« on: November 03, 2003, 11:25:41 AM »
My wife called in my bike theft which occured on Friday night...right out of my driveway.

They asked if it was locked and it was, but just the ignition lock.

The officer then went on to say that it "should" have had a U-lock around the back tire also.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if the thing was unlocked a crime has still occurred and the cops should NOT be acting like insurnace adjusters?!?

My wife looked at me after she got off the phone and said "The police officer essentially said the theft was YOUR fault".

What a JOKE!
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 11:37:02 AM »
Actually, I think he was implying that you were a dolt for thinking an ignition lock would keep it from being wheeled up into the back of a pickup truck.  :p

What kind of unsafe neighborhood did you buy into, anyway?

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 11:37:58 AM »
dont you live on a island?

how big is it?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 11:40:46 AM »
One that I need a large dog in apparently.  :)

Maybe I am a "dolt" but frankly insinuating that I am to blame for my bike being stolen is pretty unprofessional for a cop.

I suppose if they catch the guy who did it he will be congratulated for showing me what I dolt I am.:rolleyes:
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 11:43:20 AM »
Originally posted by lord dolf vader
dont you live on a island?

how big is it?

It is tiny...21 square miles.  Bike is stripped and the parts are already sold no doubt...unless it was a Halloween prank.

My bike was a POS...my tenant's which was right beside it is almost new.  He must have had a U-lock...I'll check next time I see him.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 11:43:24 AM »
Well, it's not actually YOUR fault but you were, to say the least pretty naive. My bike was stolen twice despite U locks and being locked to metal posts. They used a metal scaffolding post to wrench it off. In the end it was locked via a U lock to another U lock buried in concrete. When I first bought it I actually did what you did until someone stuck a screwdriver in the ignition lock. Luckily they were disturbed.

It seems you took absolutely no security precautions whatsoever. Thieves just love people like you and cops hate you.  You might just as well as left the keys in the ignition and put a sign up.  PLEASE STEAL MY BIKE! I'm not surprised at the attitude of the cops.  You, as I did learned the hard way.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 11:46:44 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
It is tiny...21 square miles.  Bike is stripped and the parts are already sold no doubt...unless it was a Halloween prank.

I was thinking the same thing.  But there is a bright side.  This is your chance to buy the Black Widow bike from Orange County Choppers.  I'm sure Paul Teutel would be glad to hook you up. ;)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 11:47:46 AM »
I guess this little island is becoming more and more like the US/Canada/UK cpxxx.

I think I will go home tonight and give myself a good talking to.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 11:49:08 AM »
Originally posted by gofaster
I was thinking the same thing.  But there is a bright side.  This is your chance to buy the Black Widow bike from Orange County Choppers.  I'm sure Paul Teutel would be glad to hook you up. ;)

Unfortunately we cannot have bikes above 125cc here....you'd never get out of second gear with anything bigger anyway.

Good thought though.  ;)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 12:00:10 PM »
Perhaps you're beginning to get a taste of how lawful gun owners feel when they are tarred with the same brush as an actual criminal that commits a crime using a gun?

We see all the new laws passed against US and wonder "it's MY fault?"
:confused: :confused: :confused:

This is real simple, tell your Police Officer to call me if he's still confused.

Here's how it goes.

You're the lawful owner of the bike and it was on your property.

The crime is committed by the person actually breaking the law. AFAIK, Bermuda has no "you must use a U-lock on your bike" law, correct?

The criminal in this case is not the lawful owner who only locked the ignition.

The CRIMINAL]/u] is the person (or persons) who illegally trespassed on to your property and stole your bike.

It is not, in any way, shape or form YOUR fault.

As I said, have him give me a call or E-mail if he just can't grasp this simple fact of lawful behavior.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2003, 12:03:57 PM »
It is tiny...21 square miles.

Dang, Curv. Do you have to ship in your women from somewhere? There can't be that many babes on that island paradise.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2003, 12:06:09 PM »
In the cop's defense, it's his job to say that you should do whatever is necessary to keep the bike from being stolen... especially right after you've proven yourself incapable of that;)

The crime was the theft... that wasn't your fault.  The inconvenience of having to deal with it is partly your fault.  If you'd like to avoid having to deal with insurance agencies and being inconvenienced with the loss of a scooter for a few days then you might want to take additional precautions.

MiniD

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 12:12:29 PM »
Dont worry, soon Beetle will pipe up in this thread and blame the US, after all, we have guns.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 12:22:28 PM »
Like a lock would really keep his bike from being stolen if somebody wanted it... sheesh

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2003, 12:25:11 PM »
Perhaps you're beginning to get a taste of how lawful gun owners feel when they are tarred with the same brush as an actual criminal that commits a crime using a gun?  - Toad

Lol...was wondering who would pipe in with that...no argument here.    Almost wish I had a gun for the next time this guy shows up...almost.  ;)

Dang, Curv. Do you have to ship in your women from somewhere? There can't be that many babes on that island paradise. - banana

Yup...we import loads of nubile young tourists.  Rule 1 here is "avoid the local women"...they are really, really full of themselves.  I went to Canada to get mine.  :)

Dont worry, soon Beetle will pipe up in this thread and blame the US, after all, we have guns.  - Dago

Beet1e and I are not too far away from each other with respect to gun laws and I fail to see how he could possibly blame this incident on the US.

His stance on strat vs furballing is whacked though...IMHO.  :)